Author Topic: Alternatives to Twatter  (Read 19975 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Alternatives to Twatter
« Reply #200 on: 06 July, 2023, 06:54:06 pm »
The problem with journalists on Mastodon is they're either the sort of niche journalists who were using it before it was cool, or they fall foul of properly enforced moderation policies.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #201 on: 06 July, 2023, 08:36:16 pm »

All social media is only as good as the people you follow.

Finding Twitter/mastodon/instagram/threads/facebook/bluesky/whatever boring just means you're following boring people.

Personally I follow a load of accounts that post pictures of cute animals every hour, It really brightens up the timeline.

Factor in a variety of geeks, and nerds, and cyclists, and some all of the above, and it's a nice place to be.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ian

« Reply #202 on: 06 July, 2023, 09:32:19 pm »
I never did entirely figure out Mastodon. Or maybe I did, but it wasn't worth the effort. Like I say, if it requires someone to tell you 'it's easy,' it – by definition – isn't. Despite claims to the contrary, very few people left Twitter, not a surprise since the point of Twitter seems to be for people to promote their own virtue (there's little point putting it to Elon if he's not watching, damn it). I occasionally take a peek (partly for work purposes), but the signal-to-noise ratio doesn't make prolonged contact any more enticing than a tea party with ebola. It mostly seems to be a tidal flow of mobs. I figure if they invented a filter that excluded anyone with a mention of a football club, their pronouns, or anything Brexit related, it would be heaven. But again, defeating the point of Twitter, which is a mob barney.

If Twitter were to evaporate, the world probably would be a better place. Journalists might have to write stories that don't consist of stuff people said on Twitter (they might also realise that opinions on Twitter aren't representative of the real world).

Like all social media, it was a bit random win-out, but there's not a lot of space for other platforms unless they're happy being niche. I still don't want to read about Darren's novelty underpants. I've got a strong feeling he's on Mastadon though.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #203 on: 06 July, 2023, 10:35:29 pm »
If the success of social media relies on following people, then it’s going to create more and more rabbit holes of people following each other's niche interests until everyone just follows themselves.

Oh, and I forgot to agree with Mr L (I’m not following him) in saying what is the point of Instagram?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #204 on: 06 July, 2023, 10:51:26 pm »
Just seen on Farcebok that Space Karen has sicced his lawyers onto the Zuckerbot over Threads because it contains Twitter’s “intellectual property”, taken over the road in the heads of people Musk sacked.

As “Glasgalf” put it “Well Elon, you massive fucknugget, that’s what happens when you treat your staff like utter shite”.

(Roffles)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #205 on: 07 July, 2023, 08:18:54 am »
A longer version; Mustelid wailes "How dare you employ people that I sacked, and get them to tell you how to design a social messaging app! Those were the best people, full of wisdom from designing and running Twitter, it is unfair that they are designing a better twitter!"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #206 on: 07 July, 2023, 09:27:07 am »
I'm quoted up there by Cityoen as saying how complicated Mastodon is.
That *was* certainly my initial view when I said that.

I'm now of a different opinion now that there are a variety of apps and we interfaces available.
The only remaining complexity is the choice of instance. Maybe that word itself is a barrier?

I'm now exclusively on Mastodon since Tweetdeck has broken, and I can no longer stalk my children on Facebook. Oh, and WhatsApp, but I refuse to join non-family groups.

Mastodon is friendly, and with a sufficient variety of nutters (nice nutters) to make it worthwhile for me.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #207 on: 07 July, 2023, 10:56:24 am »
I'm quoted up there by Cityoen as saying how complicated Mastodon is.
That *was* certainly my initial view when I said that.

Of course - I only quoted those earlier posts as examples of what put me off signing up to Mastodon *at the time*. Appreciate it is a very different scenario now, though I'm still yet to be convinced I need to be on Mastodon. I may change my mind in due course.

Still mulling over whether or not to try Threads.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #208 on: 07 July, 2023, 12:53:58 pm »
Nobody *needs* to be on Mastodon.  That's what makes it nice.

« Reply #209 on: 07 July, 2023, 02:59:04 pm »
Nobody *needs* to be on Mastodon.  That's what makes it nice.
That's the best summary I've seen!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #210 on: 07 July, 2023, 03:41:04 pm »
Twitter use isn't what it was. DAMHIKT

Joining Mastodon would be simplified with a "choose me a random big instance" button. Migrating is easy, they say. So make it easy to worry about it later. When i joined it _felt_ like it was going to matter.

My feed there hasn't coalesced into any of my many twitter accounts yet. (I keep it somewhat narrow.) QG's reposts look a bit like my political twitter.

Finding new people that are interesting is the biggest point of friction now. In particular, i can't look at an account that looks interesting and see who they follow, just who they repost. Which makes it hard to get out of a local knot in the network without some external information.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #211 on: 08 July, 2023, 09:32:48 am »
How much am I really missing with my "Minimal Facebook Only" socal media exile?
I'm more into the social part than the ranting activism and cat vids.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

ian

« Reply #212 on: 08 July, 2023, 10:46:37 am »

Not so much, but that's me too. Though I like cat vids. Success of social media seems predefined by its need to create echo chambers for people with, erm, focused ideologies. After all, none of them want to be exposed to other opinions. Imagine that!

citoyen

« Reply #213 on: 08 July, 2023, 11:49:21 am »
Tbh, the main reason I still bother with Twitter is @buitengebieden

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden?s=21&t=3vDcgMQgCPPNMkiWCcqIUg

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #214 on: 08 July, 2023, 12:02:45 pm »
Twitter now appears to be completely invisible to those without an account. Clicking on that link I get a page saying "Happening now, join Twitter today". So I'll just have to ask – what are buiten Gebieden?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #215 on: 08 July, 2023, 12:19:02 pm »
Twitter now appears to be completely invisible to those without an account. Clicking on that link I get a page saying "Happening now, join Twitter today". So I'll just have to ask – what are buiten Gebieden?

When my mum was traing to be a Crool Nurse, along with Florence, she walked past a butcher's shop. In the window were some faggots. She didn't know what faggots were so went in.
"Excuse me, what are faggots?"
"3/6d a pahnd luv"

I suspect a similar non useful answer could apply to the buiten Gebeiden question. (I get the same "Join that Twitter that they have these days" message).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #216 on: 08 July, 2023, 12:35:02 pm »

Not so much, but that's me too. Though I like cat vids. Success of social media seems predefined by its need to create echo chambers for people with, erm, focused ideologies. After all, none of them want to be exposed to other opinions. Imagine that!

Quite the opposite, or at least emphasis on the plural.  It also needs people with different views, so there's someone to have a mass flamewar with.  The attraction of Twitter was that the far right had a steady supply of libs to pwn, or the cyclists have some homophobic taxi drivers to try to reason with or whatever, hence the lack of 'success' of the single-ideology alternatives.

For capitalist values of success, of course.  I'm sure the Nazis are having as much fun on Parler as the catgirls are having on Mastodon.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #217 on: 10 July, 2023, 06:50:51 pm »
Threads requires an Instagram login, which in my case I have not got, and can only be accessed via an app.  Android or iOS.  It can therefore fuck the fuck off until it’s fit for the desktop.

citoyen

« Reply #218 on: 10 July, 2023, 07:13:33 pm »
Threads requires an Instagram login, which in my case I have not got, and can only be accessed via an app.  Android or iOS.  It can therefore fuck the fuck off until it’s fit for the desktop.

Okay, boomer

;)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #219 on: 10 July, 2023, 08:12:34 pm »
I still don’t know what Instagram is for.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #220 on: 10 July, 2023, 08:21:17 pm »
It's for the generation between Farcebook and TickleTok, m'lud.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #221 on: 10 July, 2023, 08:28:02 pm »

At least one reason for my refusing to use it.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #222 on: 10 July, 2023, 08:29:09 pm »

Me neither. Can't work out where posts begin and end and it seems to be BIIIG picture + tiny text + comments without clear enough delineation between them.

Also, not being usable (can only read not post) from a web browser is an unforgiveable accessibility failing.

Threads has no ALT text so another reason to avoid. Not using stuff my blind friends can't access.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #223 on: 10 July, 2023, 08:47:44 pm »
Quote from: Mr Larrington
For taking pictures of your lunch.  Before you eat it.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #224 on: 10 July, 2023, 09:14:15 pm »
I put pictures of a cycling related nature on it. Also pictures of a Rifle No. 1, Short, Magazine Lee Enfield with a piling swivel and A Rifle No. 4 without a piling swivel, as in its case it had not got.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)