Author Topic: End of an era - no more 'van  (Read 725 times)

End of an era - no more 'van
« on: 27 November, 2022, 04:50:10 pm »
A sad weekend in the hatler household.

We spent yesterday emptying our country bolt-hole, the caravan at Blackberry Wood.

Things move on and the owners need Streat Corner to be more productive.

Twenty years ago, all seven vans in the field were privately owned and paid an annual ground rent.

Then friends bought the site and we ended up as one of three 'liveaboards', all great mates, amongst the commercial rental units (a Routemaster bus, a Westland Wessex helicopter, a fire engine, a gypsy caravan).

The children of the four families have all grown up there together, learnt to ride, learnt to build bonfires, climbed up Ditchling Beacon countless times, got muddy in the stream, learnt to whittle sticks, handle penknives and as a group we have sat down to countless barbecues, around countless roaring bonfires.

Many here will have benefited from our glorious tenure at BW as it was from here the vats of coffee were prepared and supplied for the broken greenhouses stop (or the carpark at the very bottom of the hill) of the Friday Night Rides to Brighton just prior to the Beacon.

For us, a perfect (and typical) weekend would be arrival on Friday evening, joining the Fridays in Ditchling at 6am on the Saturday, over the hill to Brighton and train back to Hassocks. Spend the rest of the day mooching and preparing for the evening barbecue feast. Sunday, up early to bounce around on the South Downs and maybe a pub lunch, then head back to the van and fettle everyone's bikes in the warm afternoon glow with lashings of tea, great company and endless chat. Then, reluctantly, pack up, and head back to The Smoke.

Alas, no more.
Rust never sleeps

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: End of an era - no more 'van
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2022, 09:00:57 am »
I remember that place...

It was always 'a thing' on the website for Blackberry Woods to have a recording of the nightingales that sing there through the summer nights, and I was invited down to do a sort of quick catalogue of the local birds together with some space for my tent. It was a delightful stay, and the walk around the site and the neighbouring piece of wild ground to the West, with scattered spotted orchids, was lovely. I can't remember how many birds we came up with, but they ranged from chaffinches through whitethroats to those very nightingales.

What a lovely spot.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2022, 09:52:14 am »
Sadly the nightingales haven't returned for the last few years, but at their most intense some campers would complain about the noise !!!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2022, 12:14:57 pm »
Sounds like a good stock of happy memories.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk