Author Topic: What did you get for Christmas…  (Read 2635 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
What did you get for Christmas…
« on: 25 December, 2022, 08:58:20 pm »
Me? My family seem to,be intent of reminding my that I’m only 61 years young with my dear lady buying me a trendy leather thong bracelet and my son buying me a trendy baseball cap. I’ve informed them both that when I break my neck on my newly acquired/constructed1 longboard, my blood will be on their hands.  ;D

1. I’m quite liking the idea of making my own skateboard. It’s family lore that I designed and built my own decks and trucks while at school. This was at the beginning of the first wave of skateboard madness.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: What did you get fro Christmas…
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2022, 09:13:12 pm »
 A Lion Bell which is quite nice, and other Amazon boxes as yet unopened.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 25 December, 2022, 09:14:34 pm »
A Kindle. A huge plastic ruler with 3-D printed attachments to measure bike fit and replicate it on other bikes. And some other stuff I can't remember.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 25 December, 2022, 09:19:45 pm »
My mum sent me some money so I bought a new PC monitor. One of my sisters sent us both a couple of bottles of port - but that was a combined Christmas/new home present. Only things I can claim to be Christmas presents. Stopped doing presents between me, wife and kids a few years back.

I made £27.50 in tips on my voluntary Food Train deliveries - local bike shop has some Surly hip flasks, I may splash out - a present from the clients :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2022, 09:30:08 pm »
May yet get a pressie from Miss von Brandenburg if they come by the Fort on Tuesday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #5 on: 25 December, 2022, 09:50:32 pm »
A day off work.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 25 December, 2022, 09:55:24 pm »
Coffee and very nice mango solid shampoo from my big sister, then more coffee (and an invite for afternoon tea at Betty's later in the holdays) from CrinkyAuntie, CrinklyUncle and the niblings. They know me so well....

Hair bobbles from the smallest nephew, who did his first christmas shopping expotition this year and got something for all 18 names on his list from his £20 budget with 1p to spare - although I think mine might have come from additional funding since he went to secret secret buy them with his mum while I still had custody of the Special Christmas Rainbow Purse. Exactly what I needed - how did he know?!?  ;)

A chocolate orange from the EldestCub, who has a very sensible policy of only buying people consumable presents unless he can think of something that he thinks they would really want and like.

Nowt from the SmallestCub, but he had to do most of his Christmas gift selection via email conversations with me then me getting/ordering stuff this year, since during the time when he would normally have been trawling pound shops and charity shops he was isolating in a bedroom with covid, and I told him not to worry about trying to find a way to get me anything!

Fancy faith in nature shampoo and conditioner from my ex sister in common law.

A crepe maker from my ex MiCL?!? That is the weirdest one to date. And despite the fact that I have quite an aversion to too many single-function kitchen gadgets (I've given away and/or regifted many over the years!) because the CrinklyKitchen is way too small for them, the ridiculous truth is that I *already own* an electric crepe maker - a hilarious 70s orange/beige/brown one that I nicked from Granny Annie well over 20 years ago, because she'd had it in the kitchen cupboard for well over 20 years and in all that time I was the only person who had ever used it....

« Reply #7 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:15:16 pm »
A pair of gloves with two small rechargeable led lights on the back of two of the fingers which could be useful or more likely will turn out to be a gimmick and nothing more.  A massage gun from Mrs JellyLegs which should be good for working on tight quad muscles.  Cold, hard cash from everyone else as I am saving up for some cycling stuff and as yet haven’t made up my mind exactly what.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:50:49 pm »
On my first reading I thought that said "machine gun". Vive la révolution!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:59:33 pm »

Somebody's got to take down the Tories ;)

« Reply #10 on: 26 December, 2022, 07:33:54 am »
A cycle trailer of which I am well chuffed. Was in my brothers interest to buy me this as he currently has loan of my burley bee cycle trailer as my kids have long outgrown it but I was still using for haulage work occasionally

Was sweet how they did it. Obviously too big to be wrapped so was a trail of string that went out to mums shed who we were round for Christmas day and was a packet of polo's sat on the trailer. This was a recreation of probably around 35 years earlier when my first bike was presented in same way by my Papa (Granddad). Us being poor and not getting much as kids I grabbed the polo's and was more then happy with that. Was then sent back to look under the bin bag and found the bike...which was too big so was ridden with stabilisers and blocks of wood screwed to pedals for probably first year or so.

Honestly though and much more heartfelt my kids bought me some liquorice torpedoes and between them completely unprompted wrote us an adorable card thanking us for looking after them even when they are sometimes hard work

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 26 December, 2022, 09:00:21 am »
A severely distended middle.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 26 December, 2022, 12:49:05 pm »
A nice fleece from Pingu. Port and gin from oldest bro. Slippers and chocolate from my mum. A cold frame from my other bro (which from a quick peep in the flat pack box looks as if it's been assembled by 2 year olds).
No tools tho, chiz.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #13 on: 26 December, 2022, 04:25:44 pm »
Food poisoning.

Although, to be fair, it must have been a pre-Christmas present.

Christmas dinner was a glass of water.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #14 on: 26 December, 2022, 10:47:58 pm »

That would solve my tight quads, permanently! 

Re: What did you get for Christmas…
« Reply #15 on: 27 December, 2022, 02:54:30 pm »
I was going to answer "nothing", but apparently a present was ordered and has so far been tracked in Florida, New Jersey, Jamaica (twice) before being flown to Langley. I'm sure UPS know what they're doing.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16 on: 27 December, 2022, 03:24:48 pm »
Since it took UPS a fortnight to retrieve a package from one of their own collection points and deliver it to Larrington Towers a mile away I dispute the notion that they know anything about anything.  However…

…I am now the proud owner of a copy of “BRITAIN's Motorways” by one Mark Chatterton.

« Reply #17 on: 27 December, 2022, 03:56:08 pm »
Spice/coffee grinder from older son’s family, Rapha technical t shirt from other half and variousothebits and pieces with dry large Toblerone.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2022, 04:14:42 pm »
Since it took UPS a fortnight to retrieve a package from one of their own collection points and deliver it to Larrington Towers a mile away I dispute the notion that they know anything about anything.  However…

…I am now the proud owner of a copy of “BRITAIN's Motorways” by one Mark Chatterton.

Didn't he die in a garret?

BTW, I am now the proud possessor of a Gerber Dime wherewith to break my fingernails.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #19 on: 27 December, 2022, 04:35:57 pm »

Didn't he die in a garret?

There's one who's an AC-TOR, another who’s a control engineer at General Mills and a third who works for the BLM in California but I don’t think it’s any of them.  This one seems also to have written boks about U2, Saab, BRITAIN's road tunnels and Wishbone Ash.

« Reply #20 on: 27 December, 2022, 05:44:27 pm »
I don't know if it counts but I bought a Rotring 800 mechanical pencil and a Rotring 800 pen for myself.

« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2022, 06:51:54 pm »
Some money's for a thorn 152 triple chainset ,if there's one still in stock by the time my replacement debit card turns up  :)
the slower you go the more you see

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #22 on: 27 December, 2022, 07:52:00 pm »
- Two bottles of whisky (one Ledaig from Mull another a private bottling of Dailuiane which looks underwhelming but I suspect is £££.
- A lovely jumper, which is a perfect fit.
- Some reflective armwarmers
- Socks & money (from my 94 yr old mum, bless)
- A cashmere scarf

Rather splendid all round.  I feel like Im reaping the rewards of my children now being adults. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 27 December, 2022, 08:04:18 pm »
I got two pressies from #2 son and DiL.
1. A kitchen blow torch.
2. A kitchen fire extinguisher.
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #24 on: 27 December, 2022, 09:34:30 pm »
A bit of Le Creuset suitable for using as a Dutch oven.  Obviously it can be used for other cooking duties but baking sourdough will be it's main purpose in my life.