Author Topic: Gym workout advice  (Read 1921 times)

Gym workout advice
« on: 03 January, 2023, 08:08:02 am »
Well I finally joined a gym... it has treadmills, cycling and rowing machines and a stair stepper.  Nice pool and sauna also.
I am looking for some advice on workouts, maybe a pointer to informative websites.

My aim is to do some light cardio work - to get me off my current base of zero fitness. Also to ehlp with my type 2 diabetes.
Another aim is that I have a Burns Supper at the end of the month where I will be addressing the haggis.
Kilts are made to measure, and I have to lose some weight before I will fit back into mine!

The advice I am looking for is on light exercise. I don't want to be a weightlifter or indeed keel over through over exertion.

Re: Gym workout advice
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2023, 08:15:37 am »
Why not talk to someone at the gym? But for a whole body workout a rowing machine is hard (!) to beat IMO.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2023, 08:18:39 am »
Ratfletcher, indeed I am due a personal training session as part of membership.
I'm just really looking for advice for someone who is sedentary at the moment nd needs gentle exercise.
I dont want to go in with "new year new me" type sentiments then fail to go back. I want to have longer term habit.

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2023, 09:19:53 am »
Rowing machines are good. Treadmills no so good for unfit people (just like jogging outside, they have the disadvantage of jarring on joints and tendons). Cross trainers are even better (the machines with treads you push up and down, plus handles to waggle).

I think that seeing progression is key. Many rowing/treadmill/cross-trainer machines have a power readout, or effort levels.

Start with a low setting, and try 30 min. Record the setting (or, ideally, your average watt output for the 30 min).

Do some basic weights. Start with bare bar and do deadlifts, squats. If the gym has a cable machine, do single arm crossovers. These are great for tightening the abdominals.  10 reps on each, rest, another 10 reps.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2023, 11:45:40 am »
Ratfletcher, indeed I am due a personal training session as part of membership.
I'm just really looking for advice for someone who is sedentary at the moment nd needs gentle exercise.
I dont want to go in with "new year new me" type sentiments then fail to go back. I want to have longer term habit.

One thing then, it WILL hurt around day 2 after your first session, and depending on exercises (I recall goble squats was in my initial set) you may find sitting and standing afgain "interesting"  ;D.

ETA, sent you a PM with some info.

R

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2023, 03:28:41 pm »
I am due a personal training session as part of membership.
Tell them how much cycling you do and at what intensity, there seems little point going to a gym to replicate what you're already doing.
If you're not a natural gym goer, consider classes.  There ought to be something for those starting out, doesn't really matter what as long as it's at the right level,  and it's encouraging to be with others who have the same goals. Plus it's a commitment that's harder to talk yourself out of and make excuses not to go!  I'd been making good progress over nine moths before Covid closed everything down, three regular classes a week, Low Impact Circuits, Steps, Cardio Blast, plus the occasional spin class.  Now need to find the motivation to get back to it! 

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2023, 03:35:00 pm »
Addressing the haggis sounds great.

I was taught how to use a multi-gym as part of my PE at school when I was 15. It was one of the most enlightened PE courses I've ever come across, because it was genuinely useful.

Perhaps what you need is low impact cardio-vascular exercise and some 'core'. Bit of swimming will be good for this. The rowing machine good too. The spinning bikes might be fun and familiar, but don't puke your guts up. Those three are all cardio activities. Perhaps then some gentle free weights exercises, a small weight in each hand. That could be the most satisfying part of the session.

Those big machines with the captive weights attached to pulleys are probably the least useful machines in a gym because they work very few muscles and the fitness they produce is not very usable in the real world. But they're satisfying to use, and they're popular because they're safe, with the weights being captive, so they need minimal teaching to get the user started.

Anyway, you'd start any session with cardio and stretches and only then attempt weights (if you're gonna attempt weights). You'd finish with more stretches. Don't skip the stretches.

A lot of personal trainers in gyms aren't paid by the gym, instead they upsell their services to members, and so there's an incentive to advise 'supervision intensive' activity. So, pinch of salt with their advice of activity. Their main function, for the gym, is to deliver safety briefings so the gym doesn't get sued by the punters.

Honestly, I think I'd walk around when the place is busy and see what I fancied trying, then figure out where that activity would fit within the basic sequence. The basic sequence is 'cardio - stretches - weights - stretches'. After that, I'd try ignore the other people in the gym, because gym people.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2023, 12:48:18 am »

Do some basic weights. Start with bare bar and do deadlifts, squats. If the gym has a cable machine, do single arm crossovers. These are great for tightening the abdominals.  10 reps on each, rest, another 10 reps.

Do *not* do  deadlifts or squats without qualified instruction. While they are extremely good exercises, they do need a certain amount of technique to perform safely.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2023, 01:44:45 pm »
I don't use the gym to lose weight but to gain strength in ways it is difficult to do on the bike.  If I want to lose weight I up my mileage.  I have lost weight using a rowing machine but it takes a lot of rowing to do that (in my experience I have to do sessions of 30min+ which is hard.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2023, 02:15:18 pm »
I don't use the gym to lose weight but to gain strength in ways it is difficult to do on the bike.  If I want to lose weight I up my mileage.  I have lost weight using a rowing machine but it takes a lot of rowing to do that (in my experience I have to do sessions of 30min+ which is hard.

It's mostly lower limb muscles that process sufficient energy to make significant inroads into fat stores.

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2023, 05:37:53 pm »
I joined a gym because it was effectively prescribed after my double bypass. The local Council gym gave me a 50% discount on that basis. I did start with a session with one of the staff. We've only just gone back after Covid, so I asked for another session with a trainer to review (and remember!) what I was doing.

I'm only on 10-minute sessions on cardio machines such as the rower, so the 30 minutes above is giving me cause for thought! That plus various press and other machines. I'm a life-long cyclist, but have never exactly set the cycling world on fire, and I could definitely lose more weight - I've lost a bit since the operation.