Author Topic: John Lewis or Richersound  (Read 5733 times)

Re: John Lewis or Richersound
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2023, 01:50:58 pm »
Their own brand.

The 2nd item was a freezer, and we used a local (Gloucester) company to get the replacement from. Their comment was Electrolux and crap, and they were collecting a lot of dead JLP branded items.
I've recently bought a JLP own brand washing machine which I am Less Than Delighted With.
They appear to have missed out the 'Automatic' bit out of the spec - seeing as I have to prompt the machine anything up to five times during one cycle.
I'm tempted to live with it rather than go through the stress of trying to deal with a crap after sales service.
Realistically, it just means no more overnight washes, or washes whilst I'm out.
In practical terms it means I'll not be likely to buy white goods from them again.
My previous machine was JLP own brand and was absolutely fine for the best part of 13 years.

« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2023, 01:53:19 pm »
2 JLP Whitegoods.

2 Failures a month or so after the end of warranty.

Their own brand? or a 3rd party?

Same difference.

Their brand-labelled white goods are Electrolux
I've been told Zanussi - but better made than Zanussi.
Both Zanussi and Electrolux come out of the same factory anyway.

Yes, all the same group (AEG too).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2023, 03:09:01 pm »
A + for John Lewis - but probably not their own brand/rebadged white goods.

We've had a real splurge on JL supplied stuff over the last 3 years as a result of moving from a house that had almost all of the appliances built-in.  We seem to have bought : Samsung TV, Sony TV, Samsung microwave, Siemens fridge/freezer, Zanussi tumble drier, AEG dishwasher. Zanussi freezer (small).  As well as a phone and a tablet, both Android.

No issues at all - and they delivered the kitchen stuff during the first lockdown which started 3 days before we returned from a 5 week holiday to a house we bought 3 days prior to departure.   Self installation of all of the items.

Attractions with JL were service/delivery, additonal "free" guarantee period, price - and the amassing of points with a JL card.   Biggest problem was getting rid of all the cardboard packaging!

The ethos as Richer (last bought an item about 8 years ago) was good, on a par with Timpsons for staff care - whether that will continue now it's a staff co-operative of some sort remains to be seen.

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2023, 03:47:55 pm »
I think there’s a distinction to be made between AV kit, which I’d get from Richer or Peter Tyson, and white goods, where JL would get my money, but not, as noted by others, their own-brand stuff.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2023, 04:29:03 pm »
Their own brand.

The 2nd item was a freezer, and we used a local (Gloucester) company to get the replacement from. Their comment was Electrolux and crap, and they were collecting a lot of dead JLP branded items.
I've recently bought a JLP own brand washing machine which I am Less Than Delighted With.
They appear to have missed out the 'Automatic' bit out of the spec - seeing as I have to prompt the machine anything up to five times during one cycle.
I'm tempted to live with it rather than go through the stress of trying to deal with a crap after sales service.
Realistically, it just means no more overnight washes, or washes whilst I'm out.
In practical terms it means I'll not be likely to buy white goods from them again.
My previous machine was JLP own brand and was absolutely fine for the best part of 13 years.

I stopped doing washes while I was out after reading IanG's tale of his washer going up in smoke. I believe it's not uncommon for washing machines to start fires and the fire brigade don't recommend running them unattended.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2023, 05:03:33 pm »
Their own brand.

I stopped doing washes while I was out after reading IanG's tale of his washer going up in smoke. I believe it's not uncommon for washing machines to start fires and the fire brigade don't recommend running them unattended.
I hear you.
I've been running overnight washes using 3 different machines for the best part of 20 years without incident.
ETA - My hand may've been forced to make this episode to come to an end.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2023, 05:15:44 pm »
Can't imagine the fire brigade recommend running anything unattended, thobut.  I'm sure if they had their way we'd unplug all our electrical appliances and bury them in sand when not in use.

I reckon one of those direct-drive induction motors that they have now should remove a couple of significant causes of spontaneous combustion from a washing machine (namely motor brushes[1] and belt drives), with the added bonus of making the machine spookily quiet.  A solenoid-based door latch[2] rather than the traditional bimetallic strip is another welcome improvement.

But it's a high-current appliance that vibrates, so there's always going to be some risk of wiring failure (which is a compelling argument for RCDs).  And I expect the drain pump motor can overheat if it stalls.  To say nothing of the electronics releasing its magic smoke, or getting droid rot and running the heating element continuously.

What's the best strategy for fighting a washing machine fire, anyway?  Pull the powder tray and discharge a CO2 extinguisher into the opening?  I can't think of much else that would work in a hurry.

(Interlocking the supply of power to the machine with the fire alarm seems prudent, but the BRITISH tradition of installing washing machines in kitchens is likely to hinder the effectiveness:  If a washing machine's on fire enough to trigger a heat sensor, it's already very on fire.)

[1] Which do a good line in liberally coating the inside of the machine with carbon, as well as the risk of overheating.
[2] At least, that's how our new one sounds like it works.  It certainly opens instantly under programmatic control, rather than taking 2 minutes to release after being deprived of power like they usually do.

« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2023, 11:20:53 pm »
While I was in hospital over Christmas 3 years ago, my wife was sold a "hifi" by a persuasive John Lewis salesperson to replace my perfectly acceptable amp & tuner separates (bought, incidentally, from Richer Sounds some years previously).  He can't have asked her even the most basic questions about what it would be used for (not least the phono inputs from my turntable) and which it proved incapable of.

Needless to say, as soon as I got out in early January, the "hifi" went back to JL.

« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2023, 08:32:20 am »
Disappointingly we found the JL technical help when we bought a new laptop outsourced to Im pretty sure a foreign call centre

Now I'm as far from a racist gammon as you will find and also not into tech but a minimum expectation from me would be they understand what I'm explaining and have some technical knowledge neither of which they had. I had to resolve myself with use of Google.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 08 January, 2023, 01:18:19 pm »
a minimum expectation from me would be they understand what I'm explaining and have some technical knowledge neither of which they had. I had to resolve myself with use of Google.

Same fundamental problem as the people delivering cookers and washing machines:  If you have any tech skills worth speaking of, the last things you're going to want to use them for are:

a) Up-selling whatever shit computer[1] has the highest profit margin in $electrical_retailer.
b) A callcentre monkey job reading from a script that tells people to turn things off and on again, and if that doesn't work, buy a new one.

(With the disclaimer that (b) is often a gateway into proper tech jobs for people with no formal qualifications, so you do occasionally come across a monkey with brains.)

Local Computer Shops are likely to be a little better, competence-level wise, but commercial pressures are still commercial pressures.

In general, you really are better off googling, or asking on - say - a cycling forum.  You'll get more knowledgeable people who are more invested in actually solving your problem that way.

[1] Are Packard Bell still a thing?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 08 January, 2023, 06:36:23 pm »
[1] Are Packard Bell still a thing?

Borged by Acer in 2008, according to Wikinaccurate.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #36 on: 13 January, 2023, 08:02:52 pm »
Their own brand.

I hear you.
I've been running overnight washes using 3 different machines for the best part of 20 years without incident.
ETA - My hand may've been forced to make this episode to come to an end.
I've taken the plunge, and decided to tell JLP that the machine I bought from them last October  isn't fit for purpose.
Two phoncalls waiting for 45 minutes for someone to pickup - the first of which was cut off.
Their initial response was to tell me that I'd have to call Electrolux (the machine's manufacturer) to arrange for an engineer to come and have a look.
I pointed out to them a) I shop with JLP on account of their excellent customer service and b) My contract is with JLP and not with a third party and, as such, it should be JLP and not me calling Electrolux.
It remains to be seen whether or not I have convinced them of this.
In the event that this doesn't achieve a satisfactory result, Sharon White's inbox can expect some incoming from me.

TL;DR
JLP customer services has become shit.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2023, 08:16:19 pm »
Good for you. Hopefully they will do the right thing faced with the relevant regulation.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2023, 08:31:53 pm »
They should do the right thing regardless of being reminded of the relevant legislation. That’s how they got their reputation for excellent customer service. I’ll watch this with interest.

In the mean time I went with RS for the TV and although I am still waiting delivery, I was informed of the potential time frame up front for the free delivery and there was premium delivery available if I wanted to pay for it. That said, I’ve been contacted by the delivery service to confirm the delivery date, and though it’s the the outer limit of the free delivery window, it is on its way.

RS were also the cheaper of the two on the day I bought the TV, so that was a bonus.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2023, 09:19:24 pm »
RS were also the cheaper

Does not compute.

Oh, wait, you mean Richer Sounds.  As you were.  Thought you meant RS for a moment.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2023, 09:27:37 pm »
RS were also the cheaper

Does not compute.

Oh, wait, you mean Richer Sounds.  As you were.  Thought you meant RS for a moment.

Ha! The Radio Spares catalog was for many years one of the reading options in the Smallest Room at Feanor Towers.

You could browse the Application Notes for various devices, and come up with prototype designs in your head, in the time required for your ablutions.

« Reply #41 on: 13 January, 2023, 09:31:42 pm »
RS were also the cheaper

Does not compute.

Ha!
I thought exactly the same.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #42 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:02:04 pm »
I had considered that RS might be misconstrued, but as the thread was about John Lewis vs Richer Sound, I kind of assumed no one would go with Radio Spares. Oh, wait, that was for comic affect wasn’t it? As you were.  :P
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #43 on: 13 January, 2023, 11:14:54 pm »
Really 'spensive , innit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #44 on: 21 January, 2023, 07:51:40 am »
Good for you. Hopefully they will do the right thing faced with the relevant regulation.
Electrolux man has been.
Diagnosed a faulty eco-inlet valve.
Doesn't have one on his van, so a return visit.

« Reply #45 on: 30 January, 2023, 12:50:12 pm »
Electrolux man has been.
Diagnosed a faulty eco-inlet valve.
Doesn't have one on his van, so a return visit.

Return visit took place today.
Replacement eco-inlet valve hasn't solved the issue.
Machine continues to be starved of water.
Diagnosis points to where the machine connects to my plumbing.
This  is achieved using those horrible valves which clamp onto the copper pipe and pierce a hole through it.
A bodge, in other words.
My tame plumber will be in attendance this Wednesday to fit some proper valves.

« Reply #46 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:04:24 pm »
For a couple of weeks now, when shopping at Waitrose, I have been given a voucher offering '10% your my next John Lewis purchase'. I used it to buy a new turntable. The offer involves clicking on a button at checkout which reveals a code (something like 'TREATME10') which you then have to enter. It was a very pleasant surprise bonus for me, as I was committed to buying the turntable anyway, but was undecided about whether to use John Lewis or Richer Sounds. (I should add that I am a long-time fan of Richer Sounds.)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #47 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:14:36 pm »
Those valves are A Rubbish. The ones I had the misfortune to get involved with used a sharpened bit of steel to pierce the copper pipe. Through which water flows. Unsurprisingly the steel rusted and blocked the hole with rust and crud.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #48 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:19:21 pm »
Those valves are A Rubbish. The ones I had the misfortune to get involved with used a sharpened bit of steel to pierce the copper pipe. Through which water flows. Unsurprisingly the steel rusted and blocked the hole with rust and crud.
They are A Rubbish which I inherited 20 years ago when I bought this gaff.
Their existence has troubled me for the past 20 years.
I welcome the opportunity to have them removed and thrown landfillwards.
My tame plumber is grateful for the work.
Win win.

« Reply #49 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:22:23 pm »
You have a Tame Plumber (TM). I assume you are keeping close tabs on him or her.