Author Topic: John Lewis or Richersound  (Read 5658 times)

Re: John Lewis or Richersound
« Reply #50 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:24:32 pm »
You have a Tame Plumber (TM). I assume you are keeping close tabs on him or her.
^That's gone over the top of my head. ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 30 January, 2023, 02:27:27 pm »
Those valves are A Rubbish. The ones I had the misfortune to get involved with used a sharpened bit of steel to pierce the copper pipe. Through which water flows. Unsurprisingly the steel rusted and blocked the hole with rust and crud.

I used one of those when I installed a counter-top wishdosher for a friend a few years back.  I was working on the principle that the kitchen was going to be refitted and the plumbing re-arranged more sensibly within the lifetime of the rubber seal.  Hadn't considered the steel aspect...

Ah well, if it leaks, they can GAMI.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #52 on: 30 January, 2023, 04:42:05 pm »
You would think the washer engineer would have checked the flow of water in his first visit.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #53 on: 30 January, 2023, 04:59:42 pm »
You would think the washer engineer would have checked the flow of water in his first visit.
All diagnosis is achieved by push-buttoning these days.
No real world intervention.
Computer Machine says 'No'.
ETA - it isn't capable of diagnosing faults which lie outside of the machine.

« Reply #54 on: 02 February, 2023, 05:49:02 pm »
Washing machine now works as John Lewis Electrolux had intended, thanks to the intervention of my tame plumber.
Hot feed has been done away with as no one makes a machine requiring one these days.
However, I now have two separate water leaks which I did not have prior to the intervention of my tame plumber.

Grrrrrrrrr  >:(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: 02 February, 2023, 06:02:47 pm »
Good grief, tame plumber needs a bit of taming?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #56 on: 02 February, 2023, 06:08:27 pm »
Until now he has been absolutely fine.
However, it would've been nice to have had an acknowledgement of the two texts I sent him today regarding the leaks.
I think I need to speak softly to him whilst carrying a big stick.

ETA - I have invested heavily in self-amalgamating tape. Which is pretty funky stuff.
I've fabricated a little rubber sarcophagus for each of the leaks.
It's still a pain in the arse.

« Reply #57 on: 03 February, 2023, 04:20:29 pm »
Until now he has been absolutely fine.
However, it would've been nice to have had an acknowledgement of the two texts I sent him today regarding the leaks.
I think I need to speak softly to him whilst carrying a big stick.

ETA - I have invested heavily in self-amalgamating tape. Which is pretty funky stuff.
I've fabricated a little rubber sarcophagus for each of the leaks.
It's still a pain in the arse.
Tame plumber has been back.
One of the 'leaks' was condensation on the cold fill to the machine. ::-)
The other one he fixed FOC.
Happy.

« Reply #58 on: 03 February, 2023, 04:41:42 pm »
What a saga.

Getting back to JL and their customer service. We are looking for a new bed. Base, mattress, the lot. Having explored a few other options I have returned to JL. However, on perusing the customer reviews, the number of people reporting problems of one sort or another with a spectacularly unhelpful CS team is putting me off.

« Reply #59 on: 03 February, 2023, 05:53:11 pm »
What a saga.

Getting back to JL and their customer service. We are looking for a new bed. Base, mattress, the lot. Having explored a few other options I have returned to JL. However, on perusing the customer reviews, the number of people reporting problems of one sort or another with a spectacularly unhelpful CS team is putting me off.
Saga indeed.
As far as mattress goes, I cannot recommend strongly enough an entry level Eve mattress (the one with yellow sides).

See also posts regarding this from Slope and Valiant.
Bed base  - you're on your own with that I'm afraid.
Why not just get the Eve and see how that works out with your current base?   
I think you get 100 days to decide whether or not you are happy with the Eve mattress.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #60 on: 03 February, 2023, 09:08:26 pm »
We have an Eve mattress and it’s mostly very comfortable. The problem we have is my weight is above the maximum recommended for the mattress and I’ve created a bit of a depression on my side. It’s not uncomfortable though, just a bit sloped up from the depression. That said, I can move around in bed without disturbing Dr Beardy which given my sleeping habits is no bad thing!

We’ve had the mattress at least 5 years and more besides I beleive, and given its price, I’d be more than happy to replace it now and still feel I got good value. Oh, and I notice there’s a 40% sale on the original mattress just at the moment.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #61 on: 03 February, 2023, 09:23:15 pm »
As far as mattress goes, I cannot recommend strongly enough an entry level Eve mattress (the one with yellow sides).

I remember your recommendation when this was last discussed on here. We never did get around to buying anything. Now I want not only a new mattress but a slightly bigger bed. I know there are many who get on well with memory foam mattresses but I find myself leaning towards a traditional sprung job. We are going to a couple of places tomorrow to try a few more out - I’ll include memory foam ones while we are at it.

Re JL customer service - there is one bed review on their from a customer who includes a photo of the situation. Depicted is a double mattress on a king size bed base, or possibly an even larger discrepancy. Regardless of who is at fault, the photo is as plain as day: the mattress and / or the divan is the wrong bloody size. The customer 1) describes how it was almost impossible to discuss this with anyone from JL and 2) details how JL tried to convince them that the mattress would “grow into” the bed base and that the situation was perfectly normal. There are other tales of quite expensive divans or frames - often JL own brand- that are clearly simply not strong enough and cave in after a while. Tough shit as far as JL are concerned.

« Reply #62 on: 03 February, 2023, 10:10:26 pm »
I will +1 the recommendations on the Eve mattress, by far the best one I have owned.  No uncomfortable depressions or issues with springs digging in.  No breaking down of the edges.  We have had ours a number of years and it is still as new.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #63 on: 03 February, 2023, 11:03:19 pm »
Can you get the mattress from Richer Sound?

« Reply #64 on: 04 February, 2023, 07:43:57 am »

They don't do mattresses, they only do the bass

« Reply #65 on: 04 February, 2023, 08:37:18 am »

All there bass are belong to us.

« Reply #66 on: 04 February, 2023, 10:33:53 am »

:thumbsup: ;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #67 on: 04 February, 2023, 10:54:02 am »
A good mattress is always a sound investment.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 04 February, 2023, 02:33:36 pm »
What a saga.

I have mostly been happy with JL for my beds.
All beds & mattresses at my abode have been from JL.

I bought my original double divan in the January 2000 sale but waited till April for delivery.
Replaced the mattress in 2010 with a custom memory foam model, 'firm' on his side, 'medium' on mine. Delivery was 4-5 weeks IIRC.
Replace mattress again with a custom 'Windermere' model in 2020. This is not memory foam topped but has a cotton 'summer' face and a wool 'winter' side.

I've lain on all the mattresses before purchase and decided I wouldn't buy unless whatever appeared to be an improvement on the previous. D has been the driving force for new mattresses in both 2010 and 2020. We were advised not to use hot water bottles with memory foam and D has enjoys using his 'Winnie bottle' again, since 2020.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #69 on: 04 February, 2023, 03:43:37 pm »

Proof that on YACF, any thread becomes worthwhile if read for long enough.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.