Author Topic: Smart Bathroom Scales  (Read 2172 times)

Smart Bathroom Scales
« on: 09 January, 2023, 10:55:11 am »
No, not ones that have the nous to scuttle off and hide when they see you coming, but ones that connect via Bluetooth.

My historical experience of these was not very good, our current scales - Salter Ultimate Inaccuracy - are crapping out and ICBA to try to invoke the warranty, so looking for a replacement. Any recommendations?

Re: Smart Bathroom Scales
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:40:53 am »
We have Fitbit Aria scales and have had for at least 5 years.

I would never have bothered, but Mr Smith bought them. They still work after all this time. They guess your fat % which is myth, but consistent in their own mythological universe.

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:35:11 pm »
I seem to remember you are bought into the Fitbit bit, though? Does that make a difference? From what I can see most of the apps used to connect to scales get very low user ratings (which matches an abortive experiment of mine many years ago)

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:38:40 pm »
I was. I'm Garmin-ified now.
The scales talk to Training Peaks & Cronometer which are my quantified-self apps of choice at the moment.
I think they would talk to Strava, too, if I'd let them. They definitely still talk to my fitness pal (which isn't my pal any more).

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:39:33 pm »
Which suggests they won't have issue with Google Fit. Interesting, thanks. (not that I'm using it at all but I know it's free)

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:44:43 pm »
I have Renpho ones. Works perfectly fine, connect with everything (Google Fit etc pick up the info from the Renpho app).

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2023, 01:18:36 pm »
Which suggests they won't have issue with Google Fit. Interesting, thanks. (not that I'm using it at all but I know it's free)
Google bought Fitbit. Sooner or later they'll merge.

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2023, 01:56:54 pm »
I’ve got the original Garmin Index - which is seamless to Garmin over WiFi and then on to wherever you want.

The new Index 2 (might even be 3 by now!) seems to be more expensive to give you a multicolour display. I presume it still works and weighs consistently and guesses everything else likewise.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2023, 02:19:13 pm »
I have Tanita scales that talk only to me and I'm no tellin.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2023, 02:43:05 pm »
I use Withings Body + scales and have done for about 5-6 years.  Bluetooth connected and can link, via the Withings app, to lots of different apps.  Not had a problem with them.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:15:39 pm »
In the end I decided to opt for cheap and cheerful https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7925092 (half of the original £55). Initial impression: it does work, but I can see how some may have struggled with the machine and with the app. Doing some RTFM highlighted some big capital letters that helped. Let's see how it is in use.

« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2023, 08:25:42 am »
We have a Noerdon which links to their app over Bluetooth, and that can send the data to Apple Health to bring it together with data from other apps.

« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2023, 12:47:10 pm »
Had a Garmin set for years. Depressingly accurate. Good battery life. Only issue has been range of Wifi connection not the best (wouldn't connect where other devices were fine). Meant it couldn't always live in the obvious place (bathroom or bedroom) until I got a Wifi mesh to all parts of the house.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:22:03 pm »
We've got an Ultimate Accuracy floor-topology-mapping device, and an old TV remote which I bang the readings into.  Some scriptage then stores them in a CSV file that I can feed to gnuplot if I feel inclined, which I generally don't.  (I set this up to graph my peak flow readings, in order to prove to the nurse they were of little use other than perhaps as a source of entropy.)

No devil's radio, no appy nonsense, no feeding incriminating medical data to third parties.   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:32:46 pm »
We've got an Ultimate Accuracy floor-topology-mapping device, and an old TV remote which I bang the readings into.  Some scriptage then stores them in a CSV file that I can feed to gnuplot if I feel inclined, which I generally don't.  (I set this up to graph my peak flow readings, in order to prove to the nurse they were of little use other than perhaps as a source of entropy.)

No devil's radio, no appy nonsense, no feeding incriminating medical data to third parties.   :thumbsup:

Dead right.  Can do without getting weight-loss products shoved at us via the Graun's front page.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:34:04 pm »
Ah but the TV remote sends the readings straight to the advertisers …

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2023, 03:43:05 pm »
Nothing stops the weight-loss adverts, least of all a worryingly low BMI.

But at least it stops the Mega-Global Sweaty People Stalking Corporation of San Francisco, USAnia selling the data to the people trying to deny you medical insewerants or prosecute you for having an abortion a couple of years down the line.