Author Topic: LEJOG E2E 7x 200km Perm Audax  (Read 7605 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: LEJOG E2E 7x 200km Perm Audax
« Reply #50 on: 13 July, 2023, 10:40:23 am »
Thank you for the old concrete road suggestion adamski! While my guests grumbled at the bumps, overall that 7km added was well worth it to trade Penrith for a taste of lakes, and pooley bridge tea rooms super charged us for the final blast to Gretna.

Glad it worked and nice they got a glimpse of The Lake District on the way north
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #51 on: 14 July, 2023, 05:12:19 pm »
Re leg 5

Interesting that CarlF classes the B996 past Bein Inn as "no go" - as much as I like quieter roads I would ride via The Bein Inn then Dron every time and Ive never experienced anything unpleasant  (caveat - 99% of my rides will have been weekend mornings mind you and its not one I relish cycling South ie up the glen not down).  The road surface is a bit gnarly but overall its pretty much standard audax fayre imho.  The descent is  a bit twisty and starts just after Glenfarg village I dont recall anything having overtaken me until the straight at the bottom of the glen but nor have I experienced any impatience from drivers either and i aint no daredevil descender.   

I agree 100% with not riding the Baiglie Straight (the bit between the RAB near Aberargie and Bridge of Earn) hence my suggested dog left left via Dron to Bridge of Earn. 

If you dont mind the lumps and want quit roads then for sure the Wicks o Baiglie road is preferable. 

So just to update, we followed the slightly more direct road hugging the M90, rather than dogleg out to Bein Inn, and I got kudos from my guests for the descent down to Earn being the best - straightest, clearest, smoothest road - of the trip so far! Overall it was not a high elevation day so that one extra climb to get to it seemed to pay off well.
That whole part after Kinross, and through Perth, was really pleasant and easy to navigate, so thanks again for the help.

Now... we just need to survive the rain and unseasonably strong winds for 2 final days :-)

« Reply #52 on: 14 July, 2023, 08:34:59 pm »
It wouldn't be Scotland without the weather.  Good luck.

« Reply #53 on: 03 August, 2023, 06:54:50 pm »
Replying to this a bit late (I was away then off YACF for a bit catching up with other things…)

On leg 6, justto prove we're all different Ive ridden Edinburgh to Aberdeen or Stonehaven via Perth 50+ times in the last decade and now wouldn't ride on the A94 south of Glamis if there's an alternative available even if longer/lumpier/both.  I find it a deeply unpleasant road with routinely speeding traffic and have had one too many close passes both from overtaking and oncoming traffic.    The bit heading out of Perth alone is bad enough - but at least you wont be on it for long before heading to Murrayshall.   

From Murrayshall to Blairgowrie Id use this quieter slightly longer route -> https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43521866

Your last 3km in Braemar is fine by the way, its been the official route on the Snow Roads coming south before now. 

Whatever you choose - good luck!!

I literally can’t get anywhere without riding on the Perth end of the A94 so I think I’m slightly inured to it. It is fast and busy but generally fairly wide so mostly the passes aren’t too close, I find. Unlike the A93 hereabouts … But yes, the back lanes are nicer-if a little fiddly (and very muddy at harvest time)