Author Topic: Anal and scatalogical  (Read 2587 times)

Anal and scatalogical
« on: 06 February, 2023, 10:22:29 am »
Ever since I started running 2 years ago I have had to evacuate my bowels before a run. If I forgot then I had a very small window to get home.

Since Christmas I have been doing a lot of core work. At least 3 classes per week plus other classes.
Today I got on the treadmill and realised 5 minutes in that had forgotten to complete my normal ritual. Anyway I completed the run for another 25 minutes including incline and speed work.

I think this is due to the stronger core muscle.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Anal and scatalogical
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:08:17 am »
That's a thought.  For years the combination of metformin + sports drink + road vibration has often led to what feels like someone pressing the button on a can of expanding foam in my lower intestine, occasioning many a desperate dive into the undergrowth, bog-roll in hand.  The fellow who came up with "don't leave home without it" never tried scraping his nethers with a credit card.

Regained a little mastery recently, mainly by scaling back other carbs in my diet and stopping metformin the evening before a long ride.  Doc purses his lips at the thought but he doesn't look like an endurance-sport addict.  Dominoes, maybe.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:15:23 am »
The fellow who came up with "don't leave home without it" never tried scraping his nethers with a credit card.
A handful of grass works very nicely.

At any time trial, it is necessary to provide an inordinate number of toilet rolls.  I am sure that riders "save it up" to dump at the village hall, or perhaps they are all nervous of the timekeeper.

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:50:16 am »
The fellow who came up with "don't leave home without it" never tried scraping his nethers with a credit card.
A handful of grass works very nicely.

At any time trial, it is necessary to provide an inordinate number of toilet rolls.  I am sure that riders "save it up" to dump at the village hall, or perhaps they are all nervous of the timekeeper.
A handful of great is singularly useless in my experience. Dock leaves might be better.

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:52:56 am »
Or trying to avoid carrying excess weight

« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:55:30 am »
As I was stretching my running distances in 2020 I found that sometimes I would finish with cramps (not misspelled) and barely make it home to the loo.  My routine adapted for me to take a pre-emptive dump and this became the norm.  I realised some months later that my need to shed ballast before a run seemed to have gone completely.  My body appeared to have adapted it's routine accordingly.

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:59:11 am »
Paula radcliffe might have something to say on this subject.

Runner's Runs are pretty well known about. Getting a stronger pelvic floor would probably help.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2023, 01:40:03 pm »
Sainsbury's sell multipacks of pocket pack tissues for buttons.
Most women keep these for The Inevitable Toilet Roll Shortage.
Suggest you do likewise.

« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2023, 07:34:33 pm »
Just take a dog with you on your run

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2023, 08:27:35 pm »
I didn't know Paula Radcliffe was on the forum.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2023, 08:38:29 pm »
I was thinking more about having a little helper to get rid of the evidence.

I've heard they are good at it.

« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:07:36 pm »

They prefer it from cats:(

« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:39:30 pm »
No dog will turn down the offer of a hot lunch.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #13 on: 06 February, 2023, 10:24:23 pm »

I have actually had that experience. Wouldn't want to rely on it though.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2023, 10:37:57 pm »
At the risk of TMI ( Is that possible in this thread?)...

Following on from colorectal surgery, I found that I had issues like this.
A need would come on quickly and un-expectedly, and really could not wait.

This did lead to rather more bears in the woods incidents than I would have liked.
Initially, I had no option but vegetation and water from my bottle.
Once you get over the initial yuck, the Arabic water and hand method actually works very well, and cleans your undercarriage better than a smear with dry paper.

I then took to carrying wipes, but it's settled down so I don't need to any more.
But I remain converted to the use of water to properly clean myself; I no longer feel clean with just a dry wipe from bogroll. Particularly in bike kit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 06 February, 2023, 10:58:22 pm »
Femfresh wipes in individual foil sachets kept my undercarriage acceptable on long rides.

Don't know if these are still available but I used them more on 'back bottom' than 'front bottom'...