Author Topic: Bathroom redesign help  (Read 6247 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Bathroom redesign help
« on: 08 February, 2023, 03:34:05 pm »
Pics and dimensions in this link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19UoO_rGr_MbW8Nf1WlgkAlBxkj4-2L9j

So due to my water leak they are going to rip out my bathroom.  I am guessing they will use the same fixtures,  so I am thinking if upgrading the following:

1. A much smaller sink with a small cupboard below, something about 300mm wide and 270mm deep.
2. Fit a rectangular shower say 900 x 760 ish.  That will leave a gap of around 47 mm on the side, which should be enough for a small cupboard, but more importantly space to clean easily.  The current one is a pain to clean especially around the shower.
3. Fit a new electric shower - any recommendations? The last old thread suggested a 10kw Aqualisa.

I am budgeting round £700.  I am not sure I can move things around because ideally the toilet would be below the window.

Also change the radiator for a heated towelnjobby and fit an extractor fan.

Tiles are going to be big block white, easier to clean, but will take views on combos that work well.

Thanks

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Bathroom redesign help
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2023, 04:14:07 pm »
Can't open your link because it wants me to request access. But based on your text I suggest shower panel inside the enclosure for even easier cleaning.
I'm assuming 'they' are insurers. What does your £700 have to cover, because that's not a lot?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2023, 05:35:28 pm »
What she ^ said.
It doesn't sound like very much, as budgets go.
I have the smallest bathroom in the world - I cannot actually outstretch my arms within its walls.
That ate up the best part of £4k - and that's with a mate doing the work, using only very basic, non-sexy porcelain and fittings.
Before you ask, the mirrors were around £300.00 of the total.

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2023, 07:09:44 pm »
Personally we would never use tiles again for bathroom and specially shower surround ne. The single piece plastic looks just as good and is cheaper to buy and fit.

We fitted a Mira electric shower with an intermittent flow type thing which makes it seem stronger than it is. Actually works.

velosam

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2023, 07:18:04 pm »
Sorry changed the link, still learning.

All I think I am buying are a new sink, electric shower and shower tray and enclosure.

I think I got my measurements wrong I can just about fit a rectangular 900 x800 shower but that only leaves a 27cm gap. What I really wanted to to have the shower across the entire side.

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2023, 08:35:49 pm »
Personally we would never use tiles again for bathroom and specially shower surround
Seconded - the waterproof boarding (e.g.Mermaid) is much easier to keep clean.

Also change the radiator for a heated towelnjobby and fit an extractor fan.

Definitely worth fitting the extractor fan
But our heated towel rail does not have the heat output of a radiator, especially when it has a towel over it....
Might be better to keep the radiator and have a plain towel rail above, or a freestanding towel rail near it.

Check how you can get at things like the shower filter and u-bends to clean/unblock them.
I wish we had put a narrow cupboard between the business end of our shower and the wall to make access to the pipework possible.

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2023, 09:36:54 pm »
I'd be thinking of an 800 x 900 rectangular tray (side to side) and a folding door for front entry, or even 800x800 - that's still a decent shower. You'd then go floor to ceiling or shower height with a 300 (or 400) wide cupboard. You'd have a little strangeness around the window but actually not too bad because of the extra width.

Sorry, just checked again and you're only 1075 wide, which would restrict you to a 700 tray, I'd still walk into it from the front rather than the corner.

velosam

« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2023, 04:28:49 pm »
Thanks Ham I agree. I would prefer a 900x800 but I think 800x800 with a full opening door will be much easier. I have to draw some stuff out and see if I can get an opening rather than sliding door

« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2023, 06:26:20 pm »
Definitely worth fitting the extractor fan
I couldn't be bothered with having one fitted when my bathroom underwent an overhaul in 2007.
I always leave a window open when I have a shower. An now, I have trickle vents on the recently
installed double-glazed windows, so condensation is never a problem.

Might be better to keep the radiator and have a plain towel rail above, or a freestanding towel rail near it.
That's what I do and it has been working very well for over two decades.

« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:03:12 pm »
Ikea may be worth a look for sink-plus-cupboard combo. I have fitted a couple of such sinks from Ikea (using a UK trap, not the supplied stuff) and they've been pretty good and easy to fit.

« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:06:56 pm »
+1 for the panels over tiles in a shower.

I’d be cautious about a very small sink. My parents have one that’s barely big enough to wash hands in, much less a face.

« Reply #11 on: 09 February, 2023, 10:23:41 pm »
Some friends of ours have a bottom washing wand next to the toilet. Mrs H. Is up for this whenever I get around to our bathroom refurb. I would Google a link but  browsing from a bothy with limited interwebs

« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2023, 10:30:46 pm »
'ere you go spray up your fundament..this bit is not expensive. I can guess the thermostatic mixer to ensure comfort  :-X will be a good few ££'s https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/modern-douche-shower-spray-kit-with-wall-bracket-hose-chrome

« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2023, 07:30:23 am »
I’d be cautious about a very small sink

Shallow basins are also very messy, water spashes over the edge too easily

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 10 February, 2023, 07:54:57 am »
Some friends of ours have a bottom washing wand next to the toilet. Mrs H. Is up for this whenever I get around to our bathroom refurb. I would Google a link but  browsing from a bothy with limited interwebs
I hate shower heads that are fixed to the wall, for related reasons.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:20:31 am »

This. But (in our case) landlords gotta trendy, innit?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:23:22 am »
We fitted a 'smart toilet seat' (there's a thread somewhere) which is a similar solution, but a lot more expensive.
I wouldn't now - many months on - be without our fundament sprayer.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #17 on: 10 February, 2023, 06:50:47 pm »

If you get a small sink, consider the size of the tap. It needs to be proportionately smaller, otherwise you cant get your physog in.

« Reply #18 on: 10 February, 2023, 07:45:11 pm »

If you get a small sink, consider the size of the tap. It needs to be proportionately smaller, otherwise you cant get your physog in.
While still sticking out enough to wash hands rather than just rub them against the side of the sink.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:02:51 pm »

Very much this.  Sometimes you want to wash things that aren't your head, be they your nether regions, your body minus the hair, assorted bicycle parts or the bath itself.

However washing one's nether regions with a hose is a two-handed operation, so there's still an argument for the bidet or franken-toilet.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:32:19 pm »
And if you're getting your kitchen ripped out you can do the washing up in the shower if you have a hose.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 10 February, 2023, 08:39:41 pm »
In the rare event that you must wash a cat due to contamination with mud/oil/its own shit, it is less dangerous to use a shower head with one hand while the other firmly grips the scruff of the neck.  You'll still end up bleeding, but not as badly as you would otherwise.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 10 February, 2023, 09:41:25 pm »
Trick there is to have a proper shower cubicle.  Put the cat inside, then squirt it from above while standing precariously on the bog seat.  (I wouldn't actually endorse this approach if you have the choice, but barakta used it to good effect when one of hers got covered in engine oil and there wasn't an able-handed assistant around.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 10 February, 2023, 10:06:46 pm »
How about this for an alternative? Go to pet shop, buy goldfish or similar. Put fish in a cat-sized bowl of water and... you can work it out from there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24 on: 11 February, 2023, 07:25:40 am »
I quite like the look of mine.