Author Topic: Willy Warmer 31st Jan  (Read 66963 times)

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
Re: Willy Warmer 31st Jan
« Reply #50 on: 13 January, 2009, 09:27:47 pm »
I, too, have entered online. Big Willy for me.      ;)

I look forward to joining the fun. I had to scratch from the Poor Student.

Lycra Man

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #51 on: 14 January, 2009, 12:57:18 pm »
I'm in. Was intending on a pootle round the Little Willy with Mrs Scottington but have switched to the 200 after DNSing the Poor Student.

pompey phill

• OH UR !! it's only me !!
« Reply #52 on: 17 January, 2009, 05:26:47 pm »
have just entered on line as well.
however could not see any route sheet info,  i can find the Bikely info but no route sheet stuff ??  am i'm being extra thick or what ?    ??? ???
"Yer but this goes up to eleven !!!"

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #53 on: 17 January, 2009, 05:38:35 pm »
By a miracle of co-incidence I've just back from a reconnoitre and sitting down to update the route sheets, so ne'er fear, soon all will be revealed!

LEE

« Reply #54 on: 17 January, 2009, 09:59:34 pm »
Well, on an impulse, I entered this on-line.

Not 100% sure I'll make it to the start but, after several days of feeling like I've eaten a bowling ball and never feeling safe being more than 10 yards from a toilet, I figure I'll need something to get me cycling again.

It seems fairly flat (hopefully no headwinds like the Poor Student)

« Reply #55 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:01:21 pm »
It seems fairly flat (hopefully no headwinds like the Poor Student)

As I understand it (I've ridden it but not the PS), it's as flat as the Poor Student.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »
The Mk1 that Manotea inherited was stupendously hilly.  He and I tried to ride it on a very cold day in very late 2006 and we packed at about 150 k when it was obvious we couldn't finish in time

The Mk II was much kinder, and if you skip the Chilterns part the only lumpy bit is Streatley, then there are a few wobbles over the Berks Downs

border-rider

« Reply #57 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »
Oh yeah.  Once you're past Streatley it's rolling.  I used to do part of it every day as my commute.

« Reply #58 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:43:55 pm »
Well I rode the Little last year and struggled on the hills. But then that probably says more about me than about the route :(

Manotea

« Reply #59 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:54:50 pm »
Setting a winter route is real tricky. We are so at the mercy of the elements. I was out today route checking and the Chiltens were fabulous under bright blue skies, but if the thermometer is anywhere near 0C then Chiltern lanes are best avoided.

So the 'primary' route runs along the Thames Valley through Marlow and Henley, giving a direct route to Pangbourne, The route is somewhat faster than last year so given the Willy Warmer starts at 7:30 this year, most riders should all be past Henley before 9:00. For the brave and the strong, and in the hope that it will be glorious summer by the 31st Jan, I've included an alternate route through the Chilterns which bypasses Marlow and Henley. It's well short of grimpeur standards but the route is still reasonably challenging and will ride much slower than the direct route. Little Willy riders take the direct route out to Pangbourne as they get to see the Chilterns on the way home (unless they would like two bites at the cherry!). So something for everyone.

No Streatley by the way but some rolling downs to Hungerford, after which its mostly down hill all the way home!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #60 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:56:16 pm »
Tandem country?

Manotea

« Reply #61 on: 18 January, 2009, 12:06:01 am »
Tandem country?

I'm not a tandem rider so its hard to say. I'd have thought you'd find the direct route real fast as you could really put the hammer down, whilst the route through the Chiltens might be a bit 'technical' as the roads wind their way up and down.

LEE

« Reply #62 on: 18 January, 2009, 12:11:25 pm »
Tandem country?

Just converted bikely gpx to a Fugawi track.  Average gradient overall of 1.05% which is about as benign as you can hope for around here and doesn't seem to climb above 160m.

As long as it's not icy it seems like a good early season 200.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #63 on: 18 January, 2009, 12:32:10 pm »
Cheery soul that I am, I am reminded of the 2007 issue of this event where a hapless chap came off on the Black Ice of Hurty and broke his pelvis.

He had to be air lifted off, poor bugger.

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #64 on: 18 January, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »
That was a very slippery bit of road. I happened upon the incident prior to helicopter arrival and a good randonneur was posted on a bend advising all cyclists to dismount. Even after I had done so, it was very hard to keep my feet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #65 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:11:58 pm »
I'll be on fixed, and a long way from my prime and so I'll be taking the primary route.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 18 January, 2009, 05:12:52 pm »
I'll be on fixed, and a long way from my prime and so I'll be taking the primary route.

Me too - though I may still take the laney route if it's a benign day.

Hummers

« Reply #67 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »
Is the laney route the one that was used for 2007?

H

border-rider

« Reply #68 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:22:11 pm »

The laney one isn't a problem on fixed.  And it is much nicer.

Manotea

« Reply #69 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:32:40 pm »

H

Its the same route to Turville but instead of turning left to descend through Fawley Bottom you continue on to pickup the B480. We also go up White Lane instead of the flank of Bix Hill. You'll be pleased to hear White Lane has been resurfaced (the ambassador is spoiling us...)! The reality is though that this is strictly a fine weather option. If the weather is at all inclement then I'd stick to the fast route to Pangbourne. its an 'on the day' decision.

Hummers

« Reply #70 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:34:23 pm »

H

Its the same route to Turville but instead of turning left to descend through Fawley Bottom you continue on to pickup the B480. We also go up White Lane instead of the flank of Bix Hill. You'll be pleased to hear White Lane has been resurfaced (the ambassador is spoiling us...)!

Done then.

As long as it's not icy.

H

Manotea

« Reply #71 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:53:58 pm »
is White Lane the really shit downhill one on the Upper Thames?

Yes, except that underneath the skog there is a now a layer of brand new tarmac instead of a carved up farm track! Its far easier going up White Lane then down!

The 'scenic' Willy Warmer track can be found here.

I've just emailed routesheets. For those who've previously downloaded copies of the tracks from Bikely I'd recommend taking a refresh...

LEE

« Reply #72 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:29:49 pm »

What's the problem?  Is it steep/muddy?  Care required?

Chris S

« Reply #73 on: 18 January, 2009, 09:51:41 pm »

What's the problem?  Is it steep/muddy?  Care required?

Steep(ish), very narrow, and - thanks to root damage, very very bumpy.

Last time I came down there, I met a very rude toff woman in a vast 4x4 coming up the hill. There's just nowhere to hide as the banks/hedges are tight to the edge of the tarmac.

It's fine really - mercifully short, and nicer going up than it is going down.

« Reply #74 on: 18 January, 2009, 10:00:14 pm »
I'm having 2 wisdom teeth out on the 26th. Is the 31st too soon to audax?