Author Topic: The Apprentice 2023  (Read 1291 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
The Apprentice 2023
« on: 03 March, 2023, 12:52:05 am »
“It looks like someone has shit a mint aero.”

Quote of the entire programme.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The Apprentice 2023
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2023, 07:06:57 am »
I’ve not watched it for years but caught last night’s episode. That was indeed a funny line.

Also:
- We don’t like the product, we don’t like the branding, we don’t like the packaging..
- So, can we strike a deal then?

As someone who has recently turned 50, I also found their ideas about what appeals to 50-something men quite hilarious. A star-shaped pot of face cream to keep by my bed as an ornament to put my paper clips in? Yes please!

I was astonished at how vapid the contestants were. I’m sure they never used to be quite this bad, did they?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:16:45 am »
They generally get worse each year, although I think most of this year's crop are stupid and vain, rather than psychopathic.  As someone on b3ta pointed out, it's all about the lip fillers this year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:33:28 am »
Given that I’m coming to this series quite late in “the process”, and the dreadful quality of what’s left, I dread to think how bad were those who haven’t made it this far.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:52:39 am »
The Scot had to leave the process for medical reasons, when he arrived in Dubai.

The unconfirmed story is that they were advised not to drink on the flight to Dubai…

I an sure the editing doesn’t help, and also that Alan Sugar has an idea of the two or three that he could work with, and then works in the boardroom to keep these ones on. But, as roger says, they get worse every year, mostly. Although we could pause to remember Stuart Baggs, bless his soul.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:58:17 am »
I remember Paul, the arrogant northern recruitment consultant who did his introductory interview spiel to Claude about how he always gets results because "people like me".

"I don't like you", interrupts Claude.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2023, 02:25:07 pm »
“It looks like someone has shit a mint aero.”

Quote of the entire programme.
Caught up with it last night.  A vintage episode.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2023, 06:36:20 pm »
OK, I've already spoiled the programme for those that watch on catchup. but here is a further spoiler. As rogerz says, a vintage episode.

(click to show/hide)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2023, 08:57:49 pm »
As usual, the interviews are going to be the highlight. Claude's going to love this lot…

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2023, 09:08:11 pm »
OK, I've already spoiled the programme for those that watch on catchup. but here is a further spoiler. As rogerz says, a vintage episode.

The product creation task is always a good one. Especially when, as in this episode,...

(click to show/hide)

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2023, 09:09:55 pm »
Simba managed a joke at Lordsugar's expense and got away with it. 

« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2023, 03:24:16 pm »

The product creation task is always a good one. Especially when, as in this episode,...

(click to show/hide)

At that point, you had to feel a bit sorry for the show's editing & production teams. It's difficult to build suspense when it's so obvious which team is going to 'win' in the boardroom.

And then the Project Manager said that he was actually quite pleased with the packaging & branding. 

I wonder how the recruitment for the show works. It seems fairly obvious that the final candidates for the show must be picked for their TV appeal - it would be a crap show if you got 10 totally competent people who were entirely familiar with the concept of working in a team to get the job done. But finding half a dozen of them who are slightly less blatant asshats with one foot in reality would make it less cringy and a bit more watchable.