Author Topic: Latvia and Estonia  (Read 1387 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Latvia and Estonia
« on: 06 March, 2023, 02:30:08 pm »

Anyone cycled in either Latvia or Estonia?

Am trying to work out how suicidal it is to cycle on the A9 or the A3. A9 would be over night, so hopefully light on traffic, but maybe also less attentive drivers.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Latvia and Estonia
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:23:22 pm »
Yes, it was about 6 or so years ago. I don't think I rode either of those roads, but I rode out of Riga at about midnight towards Tallinn on the E67. The main roads overnight were very quiet indeed. They are smooth and reasonably wide, progress was good. It was absolutely glorious, one of the most memorable rides.

In the day the roads are only really busy near the bigger towns, which can get a little hairy. Away from the coast there are a million log trucks thundering up and down, and I seem to remember the larger roads felt safer than the smaller ones when they were about. Suicidal? Definitely not.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:28:55 pm »
Yes, it was about 6 or so years ago. I don't think I rode either of those roads, but I rode out of Riga at about midnight towards Tallinn on the E67. The main roads overnight were very quiet indeed. They are smooth and reasonably wide, progress was good. It was absolutely glorious, one of the most memorable rides.

In the day the roads are only really busy near the bigger towns, which can get a little hairy. Away from the coast there are a million log trucks thundering up and down, and I seem to remember the larger roads felt safer than the smaller ones when they were about. Suicidal? Definitely not.

That's reassuring, that could save me 50km...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:29:28 pm »
I cycled there in '92, '99 and '13.
In 2014 I cycled on the A13/E262 which was quieter as many Dutch country roads
There isn't much choice besides the A3 a lot of roads around Cesis are even dirttracks. Towards the coast I expect better asfaltconditions.