Author Topic: Slaithwaite 600 from Darlo on Saturday 20th May 2023  (Read 4878 times)

Slaithwaite 600 from Darlo on Saturday 20th May 2023
« on: 08 May, 2023, 10:52:45 pm »
I still have a few spare cards if anyone's after an early 600. Be quick though!

I rode it over the weekend with ramcityrocker (he pops up in here occasionally), and it went pretty well, no photos of the rainy bits though. A few folk were lucky enough to have us come around and eat their food - thanks to Peter, CrinklyLion and Stretch for letting us in and saving us from 600 k of garage food.

We only managed to gatecrash one street party, and they didn't even have Coronation Quiche, so we rode off in disgust.

The riders on the day will have a friendly overnight stop at Milnsbridge (that's Huddersfield to you) to look forward to, and a possible camper van stop at Settle, though they won't be there for the whole shift, and the chippy there is pretty good despite their unfounded prejudice against spam fritters.

Here's your route, we both really enjoyed it, though the hardest bit is around the overnight bit. Those choppy hills around Bowland and the southern edge of the Dales really take it out of you, but the darksome bits along the border feature a lot of streetlit roads which make for easy night-time riding, and when you leave those behind and climb over the watersheds, I loved the atmospheric glow of the lights in the towns below:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42813023

And you can get your entry in here: https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10015-slaithwaite

Re: Slaithwaite 600 from Darlo on Saturday 20th May 2023
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2023, 11:05:11 pm »
Glad you made it ok; it was great to see you.  I haven't seen that jutting rock for ages - is it over Settle way - to the west, may be?

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2023, 11:09:37 pm »
And you, Pete - aye it's not far west of Settle, a little east of Edroth.

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2023, 11:39:55 pm »
That's it!  On the road between Giggleswick and High Bentham, I think. Or maybe a joining road.  The gorse is usually terrific along there.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2023, 09:15:50 pm »
Looking forward to welcoming you all to the overnight control.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2023, 10:43:29 pm »
(Very minor) update on its way to riders now, let me know if you haven't had it.

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2023, 03:23:51 pm »
Overnight?  I'm expecting it to be just getting light by the time I arrive - save me a few biscuits or something  :)

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2023, 03:32:42 pm »
Overnight?  I'm expecting it to be just getting light by the time I arrive - save me a few biscuits or something  :)

You'll be force-fed the leftovers ;D

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2023, 09:00:54 pm »

We'll look after you.
 ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2023, 09:32:59 pm »
Can't believe I'm missing this just to ride round Wales for 2 days!
https://flic.kr/p/2oz2YZe

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2023, 10:53:25 pm »
The scrapyard behind Shap Co Op is a keystone of the route :)

And you should be in bed by now, Matt.

« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2023, 09:55:14 am »
And they're away, 52 riders on the road, some of them will be in Alston by now.

« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:18:50 pm »
Just recuperating from helping with the halfway control and sleep-stop at Milnsbridge.  It all seemed to go well and I had a great time.  Many old friends, on and off bikes and new friends gained.  Well done Graeme and the team and I hope everyone got round safely (it fascinated me that after "just" half the ride, there were getting on for 8 hours between the first and last arrivals).

Great Occasion!

« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:40:52 pm »
Thanks, Pete, and the rest of the wonderful team down in Milnsbridge, the riders were full of praise for all your efforts.

It was an interesting field, turns out one of the riders won last year's PanCeltic race: https://www.pancelticrace.com/legends/2022-race-results/ (he never mentioned it, all the riders were relaxed and down to earth, but if that was me I'd probably have t shirts made up).

As a bit of motivation for another rider, anyone know what the record is for a British woman at PBP? ;D

And it was good crack seeing the riders back into Darlo, everyone was well within time despite the advertised hills. Might have some photos to follow.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2023, 06:35:09 am »
Her name escapes up ATM but probably the fastest Brit woman at PBP rode with Mick Potts back in the day. Ridden in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s perhaps? Sheila Simpson or frankly frankie would know for sure.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

felstedrider

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2023, 07:39:48 am »
Turns out the reigning National 24hr champ was also riding.   Nick Tarmey from VC Venta.

Thanks very much to everyone involved.  Great weekend out.  I’ll write something more detailed when I’m a bit more coherent.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:23:23 pm »
It was a lovely ride and route. Revisited some nice roads and introduced to some new ones.

Back at my desk but very much in Audax mode still - just been to the the coop and made sure I got a receipt...

Much thanks to Dean and team of helpers. Really appreciated 👍👍

« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:56:25 pm »
It was a lovely ride and route. Revisited some nice roads and introduced to some new ones.

Back at my desk but very much in Audax mode still - just been to the the coop and made sure I got a receipt...

Much thanks to Dean and team of helpers. Really appreciated 👍👍

;D

« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2023, 04:15:17 pm »
I was extremely disappointed to find Peter was at Milnsbridge (without ukulele).

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2023, 04:21:34 pm »
That was a great weekend with fantastic weather and scenery.

I struggled with the hills on the Saturday so just watched the views slide slowly by.  The mobile control on the way into Settle was really appreciated after the choppy leg from Carnforth and was a nice change from Co-op/garage forecourt dining.  The sun was long gone by the time I got to the climbs either side of Delph* and the views were replaced by a sea of lights.

It might have been something in the veggie lasagne at the sleep stop but I definitely perked up on the Sunday.  I arrived at Sandtoft airfield cafe just as it was opening and it was a good choice to avoid yet another garage forecourt.  After crossing the Humber it was back to a Co-op at the North Ferriby control.  There was minor excitement as my rear tyre exploded after the bike had been sat in the sun for 10 minutes.  I was pleased that it didn't happen at 40mph coming down off Shap etc.  I also noticed that the rim was badly cracked.

York was a bit busy but I was really enjoying the gentle undulations slightly further north until we hit the 10k of headwind drag into Leeming Bar alongside the A1(M).

Finished just before 1900 and enjoyed more excellent chat and food.

Many thanks to Deano for organising and to all of his helpers at Cockerton, Settle and Milnsbridge.

*I heard it suggested that Delph should be filled in to give us a more level playing field  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2023, 05:01:31 pm »
I was extremely disappointed to find Peter was at Milnsbridge (without ukulele).

It was in the car!

I found I only needed to say, "Ukulele in 10 minutes," for the dining room to clear.  I was a bit disappointed, too!

« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2023, 05:15:01 pm »
There was threat at 5.15 a.m that if we didnt clear off soon the ukelele was coming out.

Never known a ride where so many people were saying how hard it was.
Most of the climbing comes in the first half and combined with the headwind on the A6 some of us felt a bit battered by the time we arrived at Milnsbridge.
That might account for my nightmare in Clitheroe. Although I stopped at the first garage in town ,I forgot to get a receipt and only realised on my way out of town.
Went to the services at the end of the bypass but everything was shut.
The ATM machine wasnt printing receipts so eventually I got the lad on the McD drive through bit to print one for me.
In doing all that , dropped my card on the petrol forecourt and when I went back to find it someone had run over it.
 :facepalm:

Thanks to all the helpers .

« Reply #23 on: 22 May, 2023, 07:14:53 pm »
Ah, yes, Watson, the embossed card!  If you recall my monograph on motor tyres I think you will find it was a Dunlop Heavy Crusher - the imprint is unmistakeable ...

felstedrider

« Reply #24 on: 22 May, 2023, 07:52:53 pm »
That was a great weekend with fantastic weather and scenery.

I struggled with the hills on the Saturday so just watched the views slide slowly by.  The mobile control on the way into Settle was really appreciated after the choppy leg from Carnforth and was a nice change from Co-op/garage forecourt dining.  The sun was long gone by the time I got to the climbs either side of Delph* and the views were replaced by a sea of lights.

It might have been something in the veggie lasagne at the sleep stop but I definitely perked up on the Sunday.  I arrived at Sandtoft airfield cafe just as it was opening and it was a good choice to avoid yet another garage forecourt.  After crossing the Humber it was back to a Co-op at the North Ferriby control.  There was minor excitement as my rear tyre exploded after the bike had been sat in the sun for 10 minutes.  I was pleased that it didn't happen at 40mph coming down off Shap etc.  I also noticed that the rim was badly cracked.

York was a bit busy but I was really enjoying the gentle undulations slightly further north until we hit the 10k of headwind drag into Leeming Bar alongside the A1(M).

Finished just before 1900 and enjoyed more excellent chat and food.

Many thanks to Deano for organising and to all of his helpers at Cockerton, Settle and Milnsbridge.

*I heard it suggested that Delph should be filled in to give us a more level playing field  ;D

Ah, that’s who you are.  Nice riding with you (on and off).