Author Topic: The snake oil thread  (Read 6115 times)

Re: The snake oil thread
« Reply #50 on: 03 June, 2023, 03:06:12 pm »
Let me introduce you do . . .  hydrogen water!

It uses electrolysis to produce hydrogen, then infuses the water with the hydrogen.

Methinks that will result in slightly acidic water.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #51 on: 03 June, 2023, 05:12:32 pm »
That there H3O is pretty rough stuff, sez Wiki.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #52 on: 03 June, 2023, 06:18:59 pm »
That there H3O is pretty rough stuff, sez Wiki.

Apparently it's only got two Hs if you breathe it in:

What is Molecular Hydrogen? Molecular Hydrogen gas is the inhalation of HHO gas. Oxy-hydrogen gas is a gaseous mixture of molecular hydrogen and molecular oxygen

err...

Then further down:

Hydrogen is the smallest particle in the universe.

Back to school please.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #53 on: 31 July, 2023, 04:29:02 pm »
An email today from a purveyor of strange instruments.

Are you ready to embark on a journey of self-transformation? Join James D'Angelo – a leading authority on sound healing – in uncovering one of the great aspects of attaining true sound health through the tuning of the chakras. In this unique workshop, James will introduce you to vocal homoeopathy, and its processes by which the chakras are stimulated and re-tuned, clearing blockages and releasing fine energies.

Vocal homeopathy is a new concatenation for me. I can't wrap my brain around what it means. The application of sound so quiet you can't detect it?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

ian

« Reply #54 on: 31 July, 2023, 04:44:11 pm »
Maybe he's promising a rediscovery of the infamous 'brown note.' Guaranteed to spontaneously clear any blockages and release some fine energies (into the hearers' undergarments, alas).

ravenbait

« Reply #55 on: 03 October, 2023, 05:04:14 pm »
An article in today's Grauniad.

"I steer away from things... including refined sugars and beige foods..."

What does that even mean? Tea? Milky coffee? Chicken? Pasta? Only brown flavours of ice cream? Bread? Parmesan?

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 03 October, 2023, 05:12:12 pm »
Pasta and bread certainly. Fairly common term for refined carbs AFAIK.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ravenbait

« Reply #57 on: 04 October, 2023, 04:43:35 pm »
I have never heard that before.

Anyway.

https://www.thepoke.com/2023/10/04/a-tenants-landlord-pulled-the-plug-on-the-electricity-to-combat-a-5g-conspiracy-and-its-todays-most-jaw-dropping-thing/

Landlord in USAnia saying they're going to turn off the power during the test of the emergency broadcast system in case it sets all the appliances on fire and turns the vaccinated into zombies.

Sam

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 04 October, 2023, 05:20:32 pm »
I've certainly been known to use the term "beige carbohydrates" in a slightly tongue-in-cheek way to describe the sort of predominantly potato-based foods that barakta craves when she's feeling unwell.  It's more a comment on their blandness and ease of digestion than their nutritional value, thobut.

I think I acquired it from Meegat (irregularly OTP), who is a proponent of beans&chips veganism.

« Reply #59 on: 04 October, 2023, 07:11:43 pm »
Not technically oil and had not been anywhere b near a snake, well at least for the last 3000 dilutions! ;)

I was wondering whether snake oil was oil derived from snakes (like whale oil) or oil for the use on snakes (like baby oil).

An unoiled snake is a slow worm.
Move Faster and Bake Things

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #60 on: 04 October, 2023, 11:22:38 pm »
An article in today's Grauniad.

"I steer away from things... including refined sugars and beige foods..."

What does that even mean? Tea? Milky coffee? Chicken? Pasta? Only brown flavours of ice cream? Bread? Parmesan?

Sam

An oft commented description of the food eaten during an Audax. Usually digestionally inoffensive, gastromically bland fuel for activity, not food for pleasure..
Basically carbs, or carbs and fat.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ravenbait

« Reply #61 on: 05 October, 2023, 11:16:56 am »

An oft commented description of the food eaten during an Audax. Usually digestionally inoffensive, gastromically bland fuel for activity, not food for pleasure..

In this house those foods are called fatbohydrate. Named for the ungodly combination of cheese, rice and mashed potatoes served up to participants in an adventure race.

Sam

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 05 October, 2023, 11:54:37 am »

In this house those foods are called fatbohydrate. Named for the ungodly combination of cheese, rice and mashed potatoes served up to participants in an adventure race.

Sam
Sounds even better than homity pie!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #63 on: 05 October, 2023, 12:38:23 pm »
Quote from: ravenbait
Quote from: cygnet

In this house those foods are called fatbohydrate. Named for the ungodly ambrosial combination of cheese, rice and mashed potatoes served up to participants in an adventure race.

Sam
FTFY. :)

Cheese is health food. Trufax.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #64 on: 06 October, 2023, 10:38:34 am »
Yeah!  I remember reading that the nerve toxin in Roquefort will kill you if you eat 2¾ tons of it.

ravenbait

« Reply #65 on: 06 October, 2023, 12:49:57 pm »
Yeah!  I remember reading that the nerve toxin in Roquefort will kill you if you eat 2¾ tons of it.
So is it homeopathic cheese?

Sam

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #66 on: 06 October, 2023, 02:05:32 pm »
FCVO homoeopathic. The culprit is Penicillium roqueforti, and is known as roquefortine C.  A related compound is verrucofortine, which maybe explains lethal feet.

Loads of fun facts including dead dogs and paralysed cows on here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/roquefortine-c

The tradition says that Roquefort cheese was discovered when a shepherd left his bread & cheese in a grotto in the Aveyron then came back a few days later, ate it mouldy and didn't die.

ravenbait

« Reply #67 on: 06 October, 2023, 02:16:48 pm »
Interestingly enough, I have always known I was allergic to blue cheese. However, I had never considered this might be a red flag for penicillin as an antibiotic. It wasn't until I was prescribed penicillin for an infection about 10 years ago -- which I had been many times before -- and swelled up like the Michelin Man with terrible hives within 30 minutes of taking my first pill, that I twigged that the blue cheese issue might be a penicillin allergy.

Sam