Author Topic: orange food  (Read 5133 times)

ian

orange food
« on: 07 June, 2023, 08:52:12 pm »
This came up aboard the mothership today, presumably something kicked off on social media, but someone has alleged back in olden times (c1980), people ate additive-free, healthy foods, and funky microwaved chemical pie that pickles your physiology and brines your brain is a thoroughly modern phenomenon.

As a child of that era, I know this to be a lie, all the food I ate in the 80s was orange and claimed no relation in nature. Not was nature willing to acknowledge it. The Potato Waffle song is the anthem of my childhood and to this day I can be found to mutter 'waffly versatile' at random moments as the song continues to echo around my brain, forever trapped. Maybe when they cremate me that will be the last sound to pop and crackle from my coffin along with the smell of burning potato product left too long under the grill. My sole, dream reason for wanting to be an adult was that I would then be able to have an entire packet of crispy pancakes to myself rather than share them with my Evil Sister™ (all sisters are evil, fact). Admittedly not as bad as the Frey Bentos pie, where my dad would get half, and my sister and I got a quarter each, a cruel helping of childhood that will feature highly in my memoir. The first thing I did when I got to university was to eat an entire Frey Bentos pie (steak and kidney) followed by an entire pack of crispy pancakes (minced beef). A habit I kept up until I weighed more than a small hippo and redrafted my life choices to feature something more than eating entire family-sized packets of things. Being an adult does bring its own disappointments. Being an adult hippo on the other hand, what's not to like? All-day baths and the ability to eat watermelons whole.

Crazy orange stuff – they could do stuff with potatoes and breadcrumbs that was practically alchemy, you wouldn't even know that it was potato (ok, rehydrated potato starch, dried potato, oil, dextrose, methyl cellulose, xanthan gum, and a range of now banned e-numbers that can only be used as neurotoxic pesticides in the developing world). A good meal, oh my, what can compare with a frozen French Bread Pizza, a side of potato waffles, and baked beans? I am making myself hungry thinking about it. Maybe a slice of Vienetta for pudding or, if it's birthday, Arctic Roll. I am sure I am forgetting things. I remember getting told off for making the entire house smell by boiling up some Beanfeast in some proto-attempt at vegetarianism.

Also, can my school have been the only school that replaced milk at break times with small pyramidal cartons of orange drink, which as per the times, was literally an orange drink? No actual oranges were harmed. The e-numbers would trigger sequential riots as we pinballed around the school. Plus it was a tetrapak so we all ended up with permabright orange stains on our clothes, like we were terminally injured aliens who had foolishly adopted the camouflage of school children in their doomed plan to invade the earth (For Mash Get Smash, my back up anthem).

Younger subdeck droids know no knowledge of this, to them a crispy pancake is a novelty product, not a life-sustaining key nutritional component. But also my wife, who was conjured out of a curiously middle-class background that included no orange, no freezer food, and worst of all, no ITV. Her father wouldn't let her watch television with adverts, a prohibition taken to the extreme of ensuring the TV wasn't tuned to the relevant channel (it can be no surprise he once stood as a Tory MP). Think of it, a childhood empty of Tiswas, Saturday mornings with Noel Edmunds gurning over a healthy breakfast that didn't feature Cocoa Pops. It is no wonder she is so often Wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: orange food
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2023, 09:02:49 pm »
Oh yes. I also remember waffley versatile and noodle doodle mousies. Findus crispy pancakes, artic roll, vienetta, yup all that. We drew the line at pies in a tin though, much more likely to be frozen ones in a cardboard box.
And biscuits, chocolate biscuits. Every flavour of Club invented, Gold bars, Penguins, a whole 3 feet long cupboard just for the biscuits. Inside me is a proper obese person trying to get out
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2023, 09:10:08 pm »
Tinned pies were awesome. I don't remember any fresh food. Veg was tinned peas (mushy or garden) or baked beans. My mum, who can't cook, and hasn't eaten anything since 1972 used to make a meat and potato pie that was actually genuine potatoes and bisto in a Pyrex dish topped with ready-made flaky pastry. She alleged there was mince it it, but I think in retrospect that it was just gritty undissolved Bisto granules.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2023, 09:29:42 pm »
Talking of orange food, I'm watching with half an eye West Ham v Fiorentina (this is European sportsball, m'lud) and WH's shirts look as if they've dressed up in nice white shirts and spilled tomato soup all over them. Fiorentina, by contrast, are in a natty purple.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2023, 09:50:03 pm »
The entire discussion reminded me that I need to hire more old people. Then they will look at me less mad when I try to explain that there were no fresh foods in the 1980s and olive oil came in little bottles from the chemist so mums could unplug your blocked ears. My mother to this day refuses to believe people cook with olive oil and makes a bleurgh bleurgh noise when such an activity is mentioned.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:30:25 pm »
This thread is useless without the curious anachronism that is Sunny Delight.  Launched in 1998, it really belonged in 1978.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:38:58 pm »
Wotsits.

« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:47:17 pm »
Tic tacs.

[the orange ones were spectacularly orange ... ]

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2023, 11:10:06 pm »
Sorry, but oranges, wedge after wedge after wedge of them, at half time,  in every single under 10s / under 11s football game I ever played.  Come to think of it, I think our manager must have had a thing about the colour orange as we played in the most tangerine kit you could ever imagine - shirt, shorts and socks.

But more in the spirit of the thread, it’s the bright orange oil that oozed out of the school dinner bolognese sauce and formed a unappetising slick on the plate around the equally unappealing lumpy mash that sticks in my mind.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2023, 11:17:30 pm »
We had less luminous/orange stuff than most 1980s kids cos my mum was sugar conscious about drinks (maternal family have terrible teeth which little sister inherited) and my little sister had eczema which was being associated with e-numbers and food colourings. I remember a bright pink paperback book about the evils of e-numbers that Mum read. No idea if reduced luminous food helped sister's eczema but she did have to have loads of teeth out age 6 from 'sugar damage'.

I think the only squash type drinks we had were capri suns and only on holiday car trips. Otherwise it was glass bottled R Whites lemonade (10p deposit for the bottle) and occasional soda stream drinks.

A friend of mine is half American and she says they still have luminous food over there cos there's much less strict food laws than here and it feels nostalgic 80s to her.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 08 June, 2023, 02:35:32 pm »
You know how you get those random sudden cravings?  Well today's was spaghetti hoops of all things. 
Well, as it turned out, DiL is a fan and had stashed a tin at the back of the cupboard.

I've probably not eaten spaghetti hoops in 50 years or so, and I probably won't again.
Dear god they were sweet.   :sick:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 08 June, 2023, 03:01:03 pm »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald. Then of course in the early 50's there was NHS orange juice that came in medicine bottles and was sour in that pursed-lipped "it's good for you, you're not supposed to enjoy it" fashion.  Mind you, the juice of real oranges back then was usually acidic enough to etch glass or to dissolve unwanted bodies in.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2023, 03:02:55 pm »
I remember the fuss over Blue Smarties

In fact, I think I have in a bag full of keychains, the wrap plastic sunglasses you could claim for collecting the alphabet of smarties tops,
I don't have the full alphabet of smarties tops anymore, mum put them in the bin.
I ate a lot of Smarties

« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2023, 03:13:56 pm »
And liquorish root, which was actually good for your teeth. I still remember the gob stopper riots of '68. Smash is still lurking around in the darker recesses of some supermarkets, this was made orangeish in the day, by the application of copious amounts of ketchup prior to vigorous stirring with a fork, although the better tasting instant French stuff seems to have disappeared since. The orange pyramids were called Jubblys from memory and lasted a considerable time when frozen, although the orange content would have been sucked out long before ultimate meltdown. I seem to remember that several cheeses were also available in various shades of orange.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2023, 04:11:58 pm »
Toffos. They were my favourite, especially Banana Toffos. They were as strong as Araldite at sticking your molars together.

There was still a lot of suet use in the 70s, steamed puddings, meat pudding, dumplings etc. Then people got scared of animal fats and ran away, and then amazingly everyone got fat...

Coke wasn't as dominant back then, you could enjoy a room temperature can of Top Deck shandy, while eating penny sweets from a paper bag, that you would order by the quarter of the lb.

I remember Sugar puffs, and discussions on if it had an effect like asparagus...

I've mentioned it before, but I miss Heinz Tinned salad.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 08 June, 2023, 04:21:48 pm »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald.
I don't remember the name, but in the 70s we drank a sort of concentrated orange squash, it would be more accurate to say syrup, that came in a frosted glass bottle with a horizontal segmented design. It was thick and gloopy and probably contained some radioactive elements in whatever was left over after sugar.

Talking of radioactive, though not orange itself: Ready Brek.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2023, 07:06:32 pm »
Ooh! Orange chips in the Black Country.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2023, 07:28:21 pm »
I don't think the orange stuff was Jubbly but it's the same theory, I remember the cartons being white. Maybe they rebranded it for schools. Either that or they were using my school as experimental subjects. Orange Drink Replacement Product #563b. Not for sale. Experimental Use only. It wasn't frozen either, though we did get frozen blocks of Kia-Ora in the cinema that we'd suck all the orange out of and subsequently make mischief with the remaining ice. That was back in the days when cinema ushers actually used to ush. There was a lot of ushing when we were in the auditorium, not infrequently seeing us ushed right back out into the street mid-showing.

My wife and I have actually generated a shared false memory about a fizzy drink called Grandcham from the pop man (yes, children, the 'pop man', before the internet it was still possible to get things delivered to the door, including tooth decay, and on Fridays, more disappointingly, fish). After much research, it seems this flavour doesn't exist anywhere other than in our memory. I was tempted to concoct it, but as my wife has pointed out, from our description it would fit into the niche already filled by Trucker's Tizer.

Top Deck shandy – there can't be any schoolkids who read the 0.5% boozeahol and thought, well, if I drink 80 cans of this I'll get drunk. You skip the drunk part and go direct to sick.

I do fancy some tinned spaghetti, I've not had that since university.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2023, 07:40:55 pm »
Ooh! Orange chips in the Black Country.

GPWM!  Seriously, the Glaswegians really dropped the ball there.

« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:02:40 pm »
Our pop was brought to us by Alpine, a good service. To get me to eat cornflakes, we couldn't afford Frosties, my mum would plaster them in sugar.

« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:05:19 pm »
Back in the 50's we used to get some stuff called Suncap, which claimed to be orange juice and was 3 shades oranger than Donald.
I don't remember the name, but in the 70s we drank a sort of concentrated orange squash, it would be more accurate to say syrup, that came in a frosted glass bottle with a horizontal segmented design. It was thick and gloopy and probably contained some radioactive elements in whatever was left over after sugar.
Sunquick concentrate https://www.sunquick.com/concentrate/ ?
Just about the only diluteable fruit squash in Portuguese supermarkets and probably other countries as well, available in a wide range of flavours, and quite acceptable, if far too high in sugar. I haven't noticed any in UK supermarkets, except in Indian / Asian ones.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:28:15 pm »
Our pop was brought to us by Alpine, a good service. To get me to eat cornflakes, we couldn't afford Frosties, my mum would plaster them in sugar.

I think we were Alpine too. American cream soda sounded implausibly exotic.

What was the orange powder called that could be turned into a gritty orange drink with the simple addition of tap water and six hours of stirring whereupon it would immediately separate? They were still serving it as 'orange juice' in the breakfast buffets of cheap hotels in the former Soviet block in the late 90s, early 00s (using quarter the specified amount).

« Reply #22 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:33:22 pm »
Sand?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:51:44 pm »
IDK, but you've just reminded me of Cremola Foam!

Also, butterscotch Instant Whip
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 08 June, 2023, 09:54:25 pm »
I fear sand would have tasted better.

The internet tells me there were two competing brands of orange powder in the UK – Birds Apeel and Kellogg's Rise and Shine. Pretty sure we were on the Apeel side.

If you wanted real orange juice, it came out of a can. Too posh for us.