Author Topic: Chimney repairs - how much ?  (Read 1189 times)

Chimney repairs - how much ?
« on: 29 July, 2023, 03:10:30 pm »
The parents have had a leak during the recent rain.   Water is getting in somewhere and exiting into the cupboard where the hot water tank used to be. This cupboard is slightly to one side of the chimney stack.  I went into the loft and had a look around.  There is light visible at the side of the chimney stack (see pic) so this seems a likely ingress point. Boxes next to the brickwork show signs of water damage.

Who do I need to engage to fix this, a general builder or a roofer ?    What should I expect to pay ?   It's a standard 2 storey house with a flat roofed extension on the back so hopefully access will be by ladders rather than scaffolding. 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Chimney repairs - how much ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2023, 03:38:13 pm »
I would be getting a roofer I know to come and sort it. I’m awful if you know someone of course, or can get a recommendation.

I’d expect to pay more than 100 and less than 300 or 400 - but probably depends on where, who and what they find. Scaffolding would push that right up.

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2023, 07:44:59 pm »
Obtaining a tradesman is a nightmare currently depending on the local market. Brickies in central Manchester on £600/day atm. I cannot get anyone to quote for a large patio atm despite me sourcing and buying the paving.

Back OT
Couple of things Andrew.

Sarking felt is probably rotten at the eaves. Very common but not fatal. Roofs did not have felt for hundreds of years. Nowadays made from rot proof and breathable material.
Probably a few broken or slipped tiles/slates. Good roofer would sort out PDQ (probably by breaking H and S rules). I watched a valley being replaced the other week across the road no safety gear whatsoever. I am not condoning this. Key thing is what caused this?  Leadwork flashings to the stack may be missing or adrift. The rear of the stack is particular vulnerable.
Check that falling concrete flaunching or loose brickwork has not damaged the tiles/slates. Stack may also need repointing. Other possiblities include nail fatigue.

Edit BG Local heroes, pity they do not offer roofers. Try Trust Mark to source one. Government run sponsored and better than most.

Allow a day's labour say £250 net. plus bits And try to get a local firm. Conc tiles are a couple of quid each. Slate (prolly second hand) a bit more.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2023, 08:28:02 pm »
where are you? this might have an impact on the price.

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:14:48 pm »
Just outside Liverpool, so not London prices !

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2023, 07:44:53 am »
Try MyBuilder to see if you get a bite.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:23:41 pm »
The insurance assessors came around yesterday, sent a drone up to take pics & then emailed to say Piss Off, it's normal wear & tear,  which is what I'd expected.

The neighbour over the road does Tarmac stuff & has fixed a leak in the flat extension for us before.  I'll see if he can recommend someone. 

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2023, 11:20:15 pm »
3 chimney rebuilds, alterations to utility room and kitchen cost me £6k at Rose Cottage.

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2023, 12:28:22 pm »

£330 to get the parents roof fixed. 2 chaps up on ladders for just over an hour. Mainly mortar work & tidying up the lead flashing. This lot actually turned up 2 days after I phoned him. The fellow recommended by a neighbour let us down twice, this lot were on Checkatrade & local.Liverpool prices.

« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2023, 06:08:49 pm »
Had all the ridge tiles relaid and chimney repointed for £300. Clearly this was Wild West rates as they broke tiles, put their feet through the roofing underlay and left mortar stuck to my block paving.

It was a few years ago and since then the entire roof has been taken off insulated and replaced.
Move Faster and Bake Things