Author Topic: Is it just me, or is the Internet becoming less usable?  (Read 10002 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Is it just me, or is the Internet becoming less usable?
« Reply #125 on: 26 February, 2024, 08:12:03 pm »
YouTube Premium is now £12.99.  Bastards.  I shall hook up my laptop to the TV to enable ad blocking, I think.  Or pay for NordVPN and subscribe to YT via Turkey, which costs next to nothing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #126 on: 27 February, 2024, 09:18:34 am »
As for youtube; chrome + privacy badger + ublock origin = only ads that are within the video not what YT adds extra.

Got a spare laptop or raspberry pi then install Pihole along with the above extensions this cut down on ads and trackers.

Internet archive and 12 foot ladder jump most paywalls. Bit of searching you can get another news website writing/posting the same article or commenting on it so you can read it that way.

If I use the website enough I will pay/sign up to said website.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #127 on: 22 May, 2024, 09:33:42 pm »

The internet is disappearing, study says

Almost 40% of webpages from 2013 no longer exist a decade on, research finds

The effect means that vast amounts of news and important reference content are disappearing. Some 23 per cent of news pages include at least one broken link, and 21 per cent of government websites, it said – and 54 per cent of Wikipedia pages include a link in their references that no longer exists.

I no longer rely on links for stuff I want to keep as references. I assume it is not permanent and download it.  And I prefer printed books to e-books.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 12:30:37 am »

The effect means that vast amounts of news and important reference content are disappearing. Some 23 per cent of news pages include at least one broken link, and 21 per cent of government websites, it said – and 54 per cent of Wikipedia pages include a link in their references that no longer exists.

I no longer rely on links for stuff I want to keep as references. I assume it is not permanent and download it.  And I prefer printed books to e-books.

I saw this yesterday: Linkrot.

rogerzilla

« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 06:59:50 am »

It must be far worse for images, as free image hosting has gradually been withdrawn.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 11:32:47 am »
It must be far worse for images, as free image hosting has gradually been withdrawn.

It only lasted long enough for everyone to forget what FTP[1] and web servers are.

[1] More sensible protocols are available.

rogerzilla

« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 02:08:41 pm »
Most ISPs stopped giving free web space years ago.