Author Topic: SON servicing?  (Read 735 times)

SON servicing?
« on: 17 August, 2023, 03:42:12 pm »
Sent my hub away, report is NFF I was expecting a service..
Your hub has been received back here today, after a thorough check by the manufacturer. No fault was found but the service has been charged for. The total to pay is £18.50.
This is my reply .
I returned the hub because of a rubbing noise when under axial load.
I did of course eliminate everything else in the wheel that could  possibly be the cause before returning the hub.

IMO even SON quality bearings could be degraded after 30,000 km with  hard cornering on an upright trike, sometimes bouncing across the road. Would just like this to go on record as when I build it if I  still have a problem I'm going to have to return it for a second time.
What would you do please?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: SON servicing?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2023, 04:10:17 pm »
Is that Schmidt themselves, or the Bandits of Bridgwater?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2023, 10:38:40 pm »
From what they say, it *sounds* like they've serviced it, but they're going to charge as it's not faulty. But on the other hand £18.50 is very cheap for a service.

If it actually went to "the manufacturer" as they say, then I imagine you'll find it's in perfect condition when you get it back, SON are very good like that.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2023, 10:51:39 pm »
I suppose it's possible that they didn't test for trike-style sideways loading. 

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2023, 10:11:34 am »
It was sent to SON SJS are going to check exactly what was the problem. If I have to rebuild and the noise is still there I'm sure I can get what has been spent discounted from a complete refurb.