Author Topic: CDs onto my iPhone  (Read 1777 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
CDs onto my iPhone
« on: 19 September, 2023, 08:36:47 am »
Hello  :thumbsup:

I have a bunch of CDs onto which, a long time ago, I burned a load of favourite tunes.  My car does not have a CD player but I can hook my iPhone upto the car sound system via Bluetooth.

I should like to copy my compilation CDs onto my iPhone so I can play them in the car.  Using iCloud I have successfully copied tunes into an iCloud folder and can play them on my phone.  But the tunes don't automatically play one after another, you have to select each tune then hit "Play" which is an issue when you're driving.

Any idea how I get round this problem?

Thanking you muchly in advance  :-*

Re: CDs onto my iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2023, 08:48:09 am »
The path to getting CDs into your iPhone’s music player is via iTunes on a Mac or PC and then a USB cable.

There may be third party music player apps that can play from iCloud.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2023, 08:54:33 am »
The path to getting CDs into your iPhone’s music player is via iTunes on a Mac or PC and then a USB cable...

I thought as much but can't work out how to import my CD music files into iTunes.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2023, 08:58:06 am »
It ‘should’ be fairly straightforward.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/itunes/itns2935/windows
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:36:54 am »
They make it as hard as possible.  iTunes is bloatware designed around the Apple Store and hates pre-ripped MP3s.  I struggled with it for ages, gave up, and used MediaMonkey instead.  Now I just refuse to touch anything Apple.  It's trivially easy on a Samsung phone with an SD card or via USB-C.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:49:45 am »
When Apple decided they needed to make a Spotify rival (“Apple Music”) they literally handed over the iTunes project to a bunch of people who actively hated the idea of actual music collections so the old library functionality is all a bit hidden and neglected.

Though adding existing files should still be as easy as dragging the files onto the app. It will make copies in its own library folder by default, which you can turn off in the settings somewhere.

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:01:39 am »
Try VLC player?  Apparently available for iphone.  I use it on android.  Transfer mp3 files to folder - VLC scans and plays.  For me, seems to work best with large playlists.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:12:41 am »
I don't have any problems.  I plug a CD drive into my Macbook, insert a CD and it automatically prompts me to load it into iTunes Apple Music.  I then plug my iPod into the Macbook and it synchronises.   I then have the iPod in the car and put it to shuffle and I have Radio CET.  I use the iPod classic because it has a bigger hard drive than my Phone, which can't store the 40 years of accumulated music...which is a sign that owning your music rather than renting it has become old-fashioned.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:16:55 am »
I was going to say something similar to CET.  Our organist has been off sick so I have been buying hymn accompaniments off Amazon.  I download the mp3 andit automatically gets added to Apple music and starts playing.

My son uses his original ipod classic in his car and just loads on new songs and stories for the girls.  Being in the apple environment does help

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2023, 10:46:41 am »
The path to getting CDs into your iPhone’s music player is via iTunes on a Mac or PC and then a USB cable...

I thought as much but can't work out how to import my CD music files into iTunes.

Do you have the music files?  Or do you just have your compilation CDs?

If you have the music files, in iTunes, go "File" and "Add Folder to Library", then sync your Phone to your iTunes library.
If you are doing this on a PC, then I suggest that you set iTunes to copy the media files into your iTunes library before you do this (in iTunes, go "Edit", "Preferences", "Advanced", and tick "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library").

If you just have the compilation CDs, then you should be able to rip them in iTunes, but it won't know what they are (because home made CD) so you will have to name them yourself.  And once they are in iTunes, again sync your Phone to your iTunes library.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2023, 01:46:02 pm »
It ‘should’ be fairly straightforward.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/itunes/itns2935/windows

This seems to be working perfectly, thanks.  I was trying to find a solution within iCloud not iTunes... doh  ::-) :facepalm: