Author Topic: Good value mobile contracts (that use EE network)  (Read 1078 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Good value mobile contracts (that use EE network)
« on: 24 September, 2023, 10:49:44 pm »
EE are being very silly, so I am looking to move. Any suggestions as to what supplier to move to?
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Good value mobile contracts (that use EE network)
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2023, 02:08:01 am »
1p Mobile is pretty good value. It is more like PAYG, but you can automatically buy a bundle every month if you want.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2023, 08:25:09 am »
I'm probably on my way to 1pmobile, as well, after lord knows how many years with EE and its predecessors back to Orange (I've always managed to do a sufficiently good deal to stay - I may yet)

1pmobile are the ONLY EE-alike who can provide the whole EE range of services, including WiFi calling

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2023, 08:53:37 am »
Does it have to be EE network?  The Three 5g signal at my house is so fast I've dispensed with landline broadband.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2023, 09:00:22 am »
That's because I know I get good service from the EE network in locations that I go to...

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2023, 09:52:13 am »
That's because I know I get good service from the EE network in locations that I go to...

Coaley Peak  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2023, 10:19:28 am »
Ah, good to hear yours works well up there.  :P

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2023, 10:35:33 am »
Should make it easier for you two to find each other ...

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2023, 10:56:08 am »
I recently came across https://www.rwgmobile.wales/
I've not used them, so this is not a recommendation, but they appear to meet your criteria.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2023, 11:23:18 am »
OK, good stuff all, looking into things now...

« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2023, 03:11:28 pm »
Well that was an interesting conversation with EE "retention"

Me: Ive been spending big £££ (first time ever I think I have bought phones on contract, but it made sense at the time) with you for the last couple of years, comes to an end in a month, I'm thinking of moving (both my and my wife's) phones to 1p mobile, £10/25Gb plan. What can you say to convince me to stay?

Customer Services Pimply Youth Transliteration: Fuck it, nothing like it, bye

Me: But you do 10Gb for £10? If you look you'll see that while I had an unlimited plan neither of us use more than 10Gb month. I'm interested in the other bits of the deal, Wifi calling is important to me which is why I'm thinking of 1pmobile, Happy to chuck other stuff like Apple Music and Netflix in if it helps, and I'm happy to consider a small premium for the convenience of not moving. Any help?

CSPY: WiFi calling is a function of your phone

Me: No it isn't. The capability is in your phone but your network provider has to enable it.

CSPY: 100% no - it's in your phone, I know because I'm in the tech business (<= last bit is a quote)

Me: Let's not argue  about that. Can you give me any reason why I should stay with EE?

CSPY: We're the fastest network

Me: 1pmobile buy your network

CSPY: Yes but we only sell them a small percentage. You won't get the EE speed and coverage, Google it. It would be like going into a Mercedes garage and asking for a car the same price as a Ford ( <==quote)

Me: <tappity tap> I just googled it. 1pmobile is as fast as EE according to reviews. Oh and by the way, I have an E Class Mercedes that I bought new from a dealer at the same price as not-very-big Ford ( <==quote, and fact),

One last question - am I talking to the retention team? I am? so this is as good as it gets.

Bye.

Note: Quantities of "Oh yes they are" and "Oh no they're not" have been edited out for clarity.

« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2023, 04:22:54 pm »
I recently came across https://www.rwgmobile.wales/
I've not used them, so this is not a recommendation, but they appear to meet your criteria.

I have RWG as a second SIM/back up. 250 text/mins plus 2gb data per month for a one off fee (can't remember - £10?). They do lots of deals.

It's EE but the signal is definitely throttled/reduced/some voodoo such that when stood at work with a genuine EE sim user, they get signal and I don't (it is out in the sticks). Generally it's fine.

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2023, 09:14:25 pm »

It's EE but the signal is definitely throttled/reduced/some voodoo such that when stood at work with a genuine EE sim user, they get signal and I don't (it is out in the sticks). Generally it's fine.

That would substantiate what the CSPY said, but apparently 1pmobile tests well against EE - I'd be interested to hear real life experience. Whatever, I'm wouldn't be locked into 1pmobile and they aren't offering me anything at all to stay, so has to be worth a go

« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2023, 09:23:14 pm »
1p Mobile seems fast enough for me. Usually get a pretty solid 4G signal. Don't think there's much 5G around here yet. I was previously using Giffgaff - 1p Mobile is definitely faster and more reliable than that.

I can send you a referral code if you want, will get you a bit of extra credit.

« Reply #15 on: 26 September, 2023, 04:45:26 pm »
Ha ha ha ha ha.

I'd left feedback on my interaction, I got a call back from the REAL retention squad.

£10/month for 30gb including EU roaming, I'll stay with EE.

I suspect the CSPY is in for some rëeducation.