Author Topic: Plumbing suggestions  (Read 968 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Plumbing suggestions
« on: 11 May, 2024, 09:00:48 am »
The housebuilders misinstalled everything in my bathroom (long story).  One of the issues is that the bath isn't up against the wall, so sealing has always been an issue.

20240511_085211 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

The new bath has tap holes in the same place so will have the same issue due to the fixed pipework.

The pipes are too short to insert a slight S-shape (I have pipe benders and am quite good with them) and there is no space to use a flexible tap connector.

20240511_085203 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

The wall through which the pipes come is only 3 sheets of plasterboard so I could remove a bit of material to get more wiggle room in the pipes, which have no lower connections in the adjacent airing cupboard so should easily swing by 5mm or so.  This is my current thought.  Any alternatives?  I can't redo all the airing cupboard piping as the cylinder is in the way.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Plumbing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:11:17 am »
Rip it all out and fit a shower.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:18:14 am »
There is a shower, which works well.   I think most potential buyers would be put off a 3-bed house with no bath.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:30:42 am »
Get a sex pond for the garden.

« Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:56:21 am »
IF I've understood you correctly you're fitting a new bath?
What I would do is take out the bath, cut a whole section of plasterboard away [say something like a 1 ft square] so you're exposing the airing cupboard - you may find a stud wall in the way somewhere but it doesn't really matter]....then you've got plenty of access to redo the pipework. But you don't really need to chop the pipe work around that much....just cut the elbows off, clean up the pipework to take a flexible tap connector and you should ok. A 300mm tap connector will be too tight, I'd suggest a 500mm flex tap connector and then loop it round - should be fine you won't get a restriction. Then when you've finished, you can cut some thin ply of something to go over the enlarged hole you've made - in fact measure and cut this before you've put the bath in, much easier, so you can easily offer it up when the bath has been fitted. You need to get rid of the rigidity of the pipe work.
Hope that makes sense.

edit: looking at that again.....you might be able to do something without bashing the PB about....you might even be able to cut the existing 22mm copper pipe on the vertical say an inch after the elbow mand fir a 500mm flexible bath tap by, again, looping it round - they are quite forgiving. Think I'd try that first.
Garry Broad

« Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2024, 10:07:07 am »
I’d be inclined to try rotating the 90’s to give yourself working room to fit a flexible tail, you could even point them down to increase connection length. That also allows for repositioning of the bath.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2024, 11:39:39 am »
I’d be inclined to try rotating the 90’s to give yourself working room to fit a flexible tail, you could even point them down to increase connection length. That also allows for repositioning of the bath.

Was going to say the same.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2024, 12:39:48 pm »
Can you line the walls with an additonal layer of thin "backer board" (a cement type board) that would bring the wall out almost over the edge of the bath - and the board is an excellent surface for tiling on.  Sealing would then be just a thin bead.

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2024, 12:57:22 pm »
If you fitted a roll-top bath would it really matter if it was flush to the wall?

With my roll-top bath it isn't an issue.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2024, 01:41:47 pm »
If you fitted a roll-top bath would it really matter if it was flush to the wall?

With my roll-top bath it isn't an issue.
The new bath has tap holes in the same place

« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2024, 02:17:47 pm »
Flexi hoses really shouldn't be an issue. I haven't looked and don't know for sure, but you must be able to get hoses where the compression end of the hose is an elbow fit, thus giving you plenty of room to make the connection by looping it round. Either that or straight 500mm hoses will go on there just fine.
Garry Broad

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2024, 11:46:59 am »
Can you line the walls with an additonal layer of thin "backer board" (a cement type board) that would bring the wall out almost over the edge of the bath - and the board is an excellent surface for tiling on.  Sealing would then be just a thin bead.
I think this is the winner.  The tiles are 60 x 30cm and a flatter surface is very much desirable.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2024, 12:50:35 pm »
I think this is the winner.  The tiles are 60 x 30cm and a flatter surface is very much desirable.

It worked for me when I refurbished the bathroom at one of our rentals - getting the old tiles off was a nightmare with some coming off cleanly and at the other end of the spectrum pulling the plasterboard off the studs on an internal wall!

Tip: Ignore what they say about "scribe and break the board" for cutting to size - almost impossible with the tool they sell.   I just used a cheap handsaw . . . in fact I think I got through about 4 of them as they blunted very quickly - they were the cheapo saws that B&Q usually have displayed in a bin for not much money.   IIRC I used a combination of screws and "shit to a blanket" adhesive to fix the boards.

. . . and don't forget to fill the bath with water before you apply the caulk/seal to make sure you fill the whole gap.

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2024, 01:17:21 pm »
A colleague used marine ply to provide a flat surface.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2024, 09:02:52 am »

It worked for me when I refurbished the bathroom at one of our rentals - getting the old tiles off was a nightmare with some coming off cleanly and at the other end of the spectrum pulling the plasterboard off the studs on an internal wall!

Tip: Ignore what they say about "scribe and break the board" for cutting to size - almost impossible with the tool they sell.   I just used a cheap handsaw . . . in fact I think I got through about 4 of them as they blunted very quickly - they were the cheapo saws that B&Q usually have displayed in a bin for not much money.   IIRC I used a combination of screws and "shit to a blanket" adhesive to fix the boards.

. . . and don't forget to fill the bath with water before you apply the caulk/seal to make sure you fill the whole gap.

If you're going down that route then equally effective are the foam tile boards that Wickes sell....they're 10mm thick, slightly different than the cement boards [which are 6mm & 12mm] thicker than the cement board that robgul mentions....and very easy to use. You'd hang them like tiles - a good notched covering of flexible tile adhesive followed by screws with appropriate large washers - easy if it's a stud wall, bit more of a pain with masonry.
I see tilers use the foam boards more often than not these days - just so much easier to work with - and surprisingly strong.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2024, 11:16:04 am »

I think they already have one.
It is simpler than it looks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2024, 03:05:46 pm »

I think they already have one half a dozen.
Fixed. No charge.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2024, 08:06:52 pm »
Hmmm.  A water stain (dry, not growing) has appeared on the kitchen ceiling, about 18" from the radiator I had trouble with last week.  I assume it is water that ran down a pipe before I drained the system and fixed the very obvious leak below the valve, but I haven't refilled the system yet and won't do so until the plumber arrives to fit the new towel rail.  The only radiator pipe that is really loose and waggly is still just as full of water as it was a week ago, so I doubt it is anything sinister.

I think I'll hold off tiling the floor just in case part of it needs to be lifted  :-\

rogerzilla

« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2024, 11:45:33 am »
Leak seems to be historic, so sealed and overpainted  :thumbsup:

Next problem is that Armitage Shanks, for some reason best known to themselves, drill bath tap holes to a ludicrous 37mm diameter (29mm is more normal).  This means I need different bath taps as the bases of the ones I have are barely larger than this.  I thought there were standards for this, but apparently not.  Also, the new bath is max 540mm high where the old one is 565mm.  As ICBA to modify the plumbing, I will put the legs on 1" battens.  The old bath is on battens already, but not quite as thick.  Fitting the side panel will require some creativity but I might just refit the old one, which was tailored to be an exact friction fit.  It's panelled wood so just needs painting white.