Author Topic: Dumbarton to Corrour  (Read 355 times)

Dumbarton to Corrour
« on: 12 May, 2024, 09:54:45 am »
I had four days in Scotland a couple of weeks ago, and I've finally made a selection of photos and started writing it up.

I'll get the text at least here at some point, but for now it's just on my blog.

The plan and journey there

Day One: Dumbarton to Loch Earn

Day Two: Loch Earn to Loch Ossian

Two more days to come, but probably not for a few days.

Re: Dumbarton to Corrour
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2024, 11:22:34 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2024, 10:47:23 am »
The seated/guards carriage change at Waverly has long been a feature of the Fort William portion,
I'm needing to avoid forgetting to do work by reading your article

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2024, 11:36:40 am »
Yes, I'm looking forward to reading this but also need to do work!

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2024, 12:01:39 pm »
Having now read it - I was following on Bing maps as well - the minute I realised you were heading for that path up from Loch Treig through the Lairig Leacach, I went "Oh, no..." I've done the whole of that path, with a loaded mountain bike. We had to push more or less all the way from Loch Treig to the Lairig Leacach bothy (where the path meets the track). From there it is a fast and easy downhill all the way to Spean Bridge.

Pedantic moment - I don't think the mountains in your photo are Ben Nevis. I think that is Aonach Beag and Stob Coire Bhealaich, hiding Ben Nevis behind them.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2024, 01:43:18 pm »
yes I've walked corrour to spean bridge and it was a good day out going as far as the lairig leacach bothy.

Those uninviting private signs need more map investigation before writing them off.
Is it curtilage? if not then the private sign is only legitimately applied to motorized vehicles but some of the estates like trying to scare people off, much to the annoyance of the estates that follow the rules as well as the general populace.

I'm sure there's a rideable route down to Tulloch station but the easiest route out of corrour is to follow the tracks the owners maintain down to the A86 and then you can spin to tulloch, spean bridge or fort william.

The corrieyairack definitly wants knoblies and low gears.

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2024, 04:26:22 pm »
Pedantic moment - I don't think the mountains in your photo are Ben Nevis. I think that is Aonach Beag and Stob Coire Bhealaich, hiding Ben Nevis behind them.

Ah, I was going on what someone else said - with a glance at the map that suggested there might be a view through.

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2024, 04:59:05 pm »
I should have added that your whole journey sounded like a great trip even with the misadventure at the end!
I've also been over the Corrieyairack but in the other direction than you were planning.