Author Topic: Modifying a bag into a pannier  (Read 715 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Modifying a bag into a pannier
« on: 16 May, 2024, 11:29:56 am »
I've recently taken up archery again, and need a good way to transport my kit on the bike. Nobody makes archery-specific panniers (it's niche, I'll admit). I found a Reddit post where someone attached Ortlieb hardware to an Avalon backpack. It's a step up from my own Avalon backpack, but I think I'd rather do this to a cheaper bag anyway. My existing bag is soft, not rigid, so will need some sort of rigid insert fitted.

Does anyone have any hints or tips for converting a non-pannier bag into a decent pannier? I have an old Ortlieb pannier I can use for hardware donation.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Re: Modifying a bag into a pannier
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2024, 11:46:21 am »
If you need a material suitable for making it rigid, Correx floor protection is your friend.
Use two pieces bonded with double sided tape, with the flutes of one piece oriented at a right angle to the flutes of the other piece.
This will afford you something which is both rigid and light.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2024, 11:50:24 am »
Heel clearance is something you might need to look at.  I have one of those Altura briefcase/pannier things. Looks like a briefcase, attaches like a pannier.  The mounting hardware is angled so the briefcase doesn't sit with the edge parallel to the ground so as to give heel clearance, IYSIM.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2024, 11:50:51 am »
Second the two sheets of correx suggestion, it becomes vastly more rigid that way.  Tape is probably a good approach, as polypropylene can be hit and miss with common adhesives (I have some hot glue sticks designed for the purpose, which are a revelation).

ravenbait

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2024, 12:14:17 pm »
Thanks everyone. Any suggestions for punching holes in order to fit the Ortlieb hardware?

Good call on the heel clearance, Tim. I'll have to watch that.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2024, 12:20:23 pm »
If you can get a bit of tube which will fit into the chuck of a drill (copper or ally are preferable to steel) Spin up the tube then, using a piece of rolled up wet&dry paper, put a cutting edge on the ID of the tube.
You can then twist the tube through the Correx - although it'll struggle to get through where you've applied double sided tape.

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2024, 12:36:15 pm »
Thanks everyone. Any suggestions for punching holes in order to fit the Ortlieb hardware?

Sam

Is the bag synthetic? If so use a Soldering Iron

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2024, 12:56:56 pm »
No tips, I just want to say I really like the fact that you (or people in general) are doing this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ravenbait

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2024, 02:26:21 pm »

Sam

Is the bag synthetic? If so use a Soldering Iron

It is! I'll have to see if I can find my soldering iron. Thanks!

Sam

ravenbait

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2024, 02:27:11 pm »
If you can get a bit of tube which will fit into the chuck of a drill (copper or ally are preferable to steel) Spin up the tube then, using a piece of rolled up wet&dry paper, put a cutting edge on the ID of the tube.
You can then twist the tube through the Correx - although it'll struggle to get through where you've applied double sided tape.

That sounds ingenious. I was just going to dremel it.

Sam

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2024, 03:08:15 pm »

How much hole does the hardware actually need?  In my limited experience, Ortlieb fixings attach using self-tapping screws into plastic dome nuts on the inside.  As such, all you really need is a nominal piercing to get them started.  (Indeed, add-on Ortlieb pockets come with a little spikey thing for the purpose).

ravenbait

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2024, 04:06:53 pm »
Not sure. Was going to pull my 20+ year old Ortlieb classic back roller apart (it's full of holes anyway). I suppose I'll find out.

Sam

« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2024, 05:22:42 pm »

That sounds ingenious. I was just going to dremel it.

Sam

ETA: Use your Dremel to put the cutting edge on the tube. Finish it with wet&dry. Scrub that. You'll make a better (rounder) cutter using the drill method I described earlier.
When I had regular access to a lathe and a range of tube size, I turned a whole load of tubes this way. They're indispensable for cutting  holes in soft materials like Plastazote, Rohacell etc, ranging from 4mmØ to ~40mmØ.

« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2024, 05:30:15 pm »
I'm not an archer, but an archery bag sounds quite large. If trying this myself, I might put an archery backpack on my Bikehod trailer instead. Not sure those are made any more, but the Burley Travoy is similar.

ravenbait

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2024, 05:39:19 pm »
£300 is a bit rich for my blood. I have a Bob Yak, but I don't really want my gear bounced around as it would be in the trailer.

This is the reddit post that made me think it was possible. My bag isn't as big as this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Archery/comments/wf65dk/i_turned_my_bow_bag_into_a_bicycle_pannier_so_i/

Sam

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2024, 05:58:46 am »
If you need a material suitable for making it rigid, Correx floor protection is your friend.
Use two pieces bonded with double sided tape, with the flutes of one piece oriented at a right angle to the flutes of the other piece.
This will afford you something which is both rigid and light.

Estate agents leave handily-sized sheets of this hanging on sticks outside blocks of flats.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2024, 01:46:00 pm »
More recently, a lot of political parties have done the same.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.