Author Topic: Microsoft OneDrive  (Read 880 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Microsoft OneDrive
« on: 21 May, 2024, 08:26:43 pm »
For the last few months I've had issues with "losing" files on my PC. I make say a Word document, save it to OneDrive and when I use my File Explorer to look for it then it can't be found. But if I open Word and look at recent files it's there and it works. Today I realised that saving to OneDrive seems to save to a different OneDrive (TwoDrive?) to the one that seems to reside on my PC. All my recent saves are going purely to the cloud and I can only see them there if I use the web based onedrive.live.com.

Anyone got any ideas on how I get back to just having the one OneDrive?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Microsoft OneDrive
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2024, 08:36:59 pm »
Why are you saving to One Drive (i.e. the cloud) and not just to the Documents folder that resides on your hard drive (and will be in File Manager/Explorer)?

To me One Drive serves no purpose unless you need to access files away from your PC - I have everything on the hard drive and Windows auto-backups to an external 1Tb drive.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2024, 09:09:35 pm »
I had the opposite problem.  OneDrive was creating a backup copy in a OneDrive folder on my PC, and then also copying that into the cloud.

Easily solved by disabling OneDrive.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2024, 11:55:43 pm »
My documents on my laptop looked like it was on my laptop but simply wasn't.  It was in my document I the cloud. When broadband was a bit iffy I had to sync and download a file to open. I had been saving to my actual laptop hard drive OK for a long time but at some point some update or something changed the settings. I don't want onedrive to do this but I do want it only when 8 want to just it so I don't want to disable it fully.

So I went into my explorer and renamed the desktop and documents folders.  I then moved all the files and folders in those renamed ones that were actually cloud located folders.  I put them into folders set up on c drive under users/my name as documents and desktop. I then deleted the old, renamed cloud versions then set up shortcuts in file explorer where the cloud based versions had masquerades as computer saved versions.

What got me was how my original,  laptop hard drive located documents and desktop had been switched to being saved on he cloud.  This I would never knowingly do.  Which makes me mistrust onedrive and ms. No idea how it happened but I only found out when j could not find a file I'd just saved and accidentally closed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2024, 01:26:18 am »
Windows is never going to be ready for the desktop until they desist with this nonsense...

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2024, 07:09:39 am »
Windows is never going to be ready for the desktop until they desist with this nonsense...

Wait for it...  new feature that can take screenshots of your laptop every few seconds.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpwwqp6nx14o

I don't touch OneDrive at all.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2024, 09:16:29 am »
OneDrive  :sick:

A bit like Teams. Attempting to grab a chunk of a market that is already there, by forcing you to do stupid things and making your experience frustrating and limited compared with proper services that already exist.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2024, 09:49:27 am »
I'm just glad it's not on my work laptop.

Communication received, we will be switching to w11, ms365, teams and no doubt onedrive. Oh shoot! That'll be OK won't it?  Won't it?

[Soon to be found rocking backwards and forwards in a corner of my home office due to the storm of IT issues raised before mine gets sorted].

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2024, 10:12:01 am »
The most annoying thing about One Drive, at least on my PC. It keeps trying to insert itself as the default save location.  Look if I’ve changed the default to somewhere else, leave it alone!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2024, 10:43:14 am »
I'm just glad it's not on my work laptop.

Communication received, we will be switching to w11, ms365, teams and no doubt onedrive. Oh shoot! That'll be OK won't it?  Won't it?

[Soon to be found rocking backwards and forwards in a corner of my home office due to the storm of IT issues raised before mine gets sorted].

Our external IT bod is visiting the office today to discuss moving us to OneDrive.  Oh deary me.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2024, 01:31:00 pm »
When it works the seamless integration is amazing....
When it works

I've not had Valkyries problem on my home PC though, the one drive accessible in file explorer is absolutely the one that's in the cloud, and all the hard links I've created in there to my other drives mean what I put in there is immediately available on phone and backed up like I want.

The best part being it's costing me £48 quid for 1TB  One Drive AND Office 365. (65 without home user discount iirc), which absolutely shits all over everyone else's offering price wise.

Now... the One Drives at work are a totally different issue, because there are 3
1) NHS Scotland's One Drive
2) NHS Employers One Drive
3) The one drive on my PC

This is entirely down to political omnifucking.

The result is I shove a file in one of them, and there's a 1:3 chance of it being available for sharing in Teams.

No idea how to solve the problem though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2024, 01:46:32 pm »
I maintain that OneDrive SharePoint exists so that people who don't use git can experience the anguish caused by losing their work through version-control system foibles...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2024, 01:58:12 pm »
We have both OneDrive and SharePoint.  OneDrive is only supposed to be used for personal things - anything shared needs to go onto SharePoint.

Which is all very well... but SharePoint doesn't seem to be syncing correctly, meaning that you end up with two or more versions of SharePoint.

I think we should go back to quills, paper and pigeons!  it would be quicker.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2024, 02:01:14 pm »
Is Sharepoint the one where you send a link to a file out and no one else can access it unless they are logged into M$ and are specifically given permission to access?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2024, 02:16:02 pm »
Is Sharepoint the one where you send a link to a file out and no one else can access it unless they are logged into M$ and are specifically given permission to access?

No I think it’s the one that randomly changes the file you’re working collaboratively on to Read Only without telling you so you have to spend several days reconciling a couple of hours work into the common copy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2024, 04:23:19 pm »

No I think it’s the one that randomly changes the file you’re working collaboratively on to Read Only without telling you so you have to spend several days reconciling a couple of hours work into the common copy.

You are both correct...

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2024, 07:12:13 pm »
My personal laptop turned on and a few minutes later a popup came up saying b that I needed to reconfigure my setup to use onedrive, yes/ no? Not quite the words,  the exact words read like you had to set onedrive up not would you like to.

Because I'm still annoyed by the mess with my personal files onedrive caused by actively removing folders and files from my c drive to onedrive in the cloud I read it very,  very carefully and chose the option that shut down the use of one drive. I suspect the reason it moved my files sround to the cloud in the past was because it came up like that before and I didn't read it carefully selecting the wrong option because of this deceptive pop-up message.

You know the old trick on switching sites where through careful wording they get you to give permission to use your email for sales emails when you thought you were saying no. Well that's how the onedrive popup looked like to me.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2024, 08:25:26 pm »
I like onedrive because it means I can access my files from whichever desktop I happen to be logged in at on a particular day, or if I want to switch from working on a file on the laptop to working on the same file on the desktop (the joys of hot-desking/hybrid working).

You do need to be wary of the fact that the default file structure is identical to the windows desktop file structure, so it’s easy to save a file in the wrong place if you aren’t paying attention. And even if you are paying attention it isn’t always obvious which is which. And as Lightning Phil says, it will try to default to saving files in onedrive even if you don’t want it to.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2024, 08:44:12 pm »
I had to rename one of the onedrive desktops a different name cos there were two "Desktop" and I was getting different files in each and they are not syncing/identical.

OneDrive is bearable. Shitpoint is shitty and horrific and I won't use it. I sync ShitPoint to OneDrive so I can use the fucking File Explorer and not a fucking webbrowser to do office work. Esp as ShitPoint can't handle even slightly complex documents without corrupting them or crashing constantly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2024, 11:40:40 pm »
I had to rename one of the onedrive desktops a different name cos there were two "Desktop" and I was getting different files in each and they are not syncing/identical.

OneDrive is bearable. Shitpoint is shitty and horrific and I won't use it. I sync ShitPoint to OneDrive so I can use the fucking File Explorer and not a fucking webbrowser to do office work. Esp as ShitPoint can't handle even slightly complex documents without corrupting them or crashing constantly.

I feel, somehow, that this needs repeating with more swearing.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2024, 11:44:44 pm »
I've had a week off work away from the shitting thing, I can provide more swearing next week when I try and pick up the threads of the project that got corrupted.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2024, 11:45:41 pm »

I feel, somehow, that this needs repeating with more swearing.

Quote from: barakta, passim
Desktop! Desktop! Desktop! TWAT!!!