Author Topic: I'm a new grandparent, what should I be known as?  (Read 2189 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: I'm a new grandparent, what should I be known as?
« Reply #25 on: 26 May, 2024, 10:54:32 pm »
I was always confused by Nan, because it's also the nickname that goes with Anne round these parts.
And I had a (Great) Aunty Nan.

Nan Shepherd possibly being the best known Nan/Anne, I can think of at the moment,

I had an Aunt Nan as well. She spent her entire life in South Wales.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 26 May, 2024, 10:57:55 pm »
Well, as my grandad said,  "You can call me anything you like. Just don't call me late for dinner."
(click to show/hide)

Same here. I was a late grandchild (8th out of 9 in total, 14 yrs after the 1st, I think) and both my grandfathers were long gone when I came on the scene. Dad's mum was Nan. Mum's mum was Grandma, though when she used to write cards it was as "G'ma" so when she came visiting in my early teens I started calling her "G'ma" and she seemed quite tickled.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #27 on: 26 May, 2024, 11:03:32 pm »
It was quite fun choosing. Newly-weds often discover that their families have different traditions, and have to find ways to merge them. Forty years on, there was more to discover. I'd had Grandma and Grandad on one side, and Grandma and Grandpa on the other. So I'd not really thought about alternatives, and was quite surprised when my wife wanted to be Nanny. I stuck with Grandad (how many d's are there in that word, I still can't figure it out for sure, but fortunately we say it rather than spell it?)

Our friends/in-laws/etc. chose to be Granny and Grandpa, so there's no confusion at all, and everyone is happy, except for my being even more confused that there is no Grandma in sight anywhere, when I'd had two.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #28 on: 27 May, 2024, 12:00:10 am »
It was a long time before I realised that my mum’s mum wasn’t actually called Ballindine Mammy, that was just a way of distinguishing her from another Mammy. I had thought that her town was named after her, and not the other way around!

My mum became Granny Peggy and her sister Granny Annie.

How would you like to be called?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 27 May, 2024, 12:27:14 am »
My daughters' remaining grandparent is known as Gaga.

One of my grannies was called Gaga.

Our kids named their grannies “Old Granny” and “New Granny”. It didn’t go down that well on one side of the family.

I believe it was to do with wrinkliness, but I would think that…
It is simpler than it looks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 27 May, 2024, 03:30:56 am »
I could have done that
mum's mum was in her mid forties when I turned up,a bit ofentalaths suggests grandad was late 40s, meanwhile dad's parents were in their early 70s as was mums grandparents.

suppose that's the balance with mum being and early first child and dad being a late third.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #31 on: 27 May, 2024, 07:42:29 am »
When my daughters were born my father decided he'd be called  Grandfather - and he was . .  when my first (of 4 as in 2+2) grandchildren arrived I thought that I'd retain the title . .. but no - it's Gramps (and my wife, not their grandmother) is Granny Pip.

« Reply #32 on: 27 May, 2024, 07:57:48 am »
I referred to my grandparents by where they lived, so Dundee Granny/Grandad and Cupar Granny/Grandad.
Others do surnames
Some do different names, my Niece refers to my Mum as Gran and her other Granny IIRC, think both Dad and the other are Grandad though.

What ever makes sense I guess
I wonder if that's a local thing? Being a Fifer, I had a Thornton Gran and a Gallatown Gran.

« Reply #33 on: 27 May, 2024, 08:31:17 am »
Our children had Granny-with-the-dog and Granny-with-the-pussy.

I tend to prefer a name, rather than a title based on a relationship. Less confusing. Less assumed status.

« Reply #34 on: 27 May, 2024, 08:48:03 am »
All my grandparents were Grandma or Grandad ${firstname}, as is Right, Proper, and The Way Of The World.

I don't think young-me quite knew what to make of it when I realised that other children did things differently.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 27 May, 2024, 10:44:30 am »
I referred to my grandparents by where they lived, so Dundee Granny/Grandad and Cupar Granny/Grandad.
Others do surnames
Some do different names, my Niece refers to my Mum as Gran and her other Granny IIRC, think both Dad and the other are Grandad though.

I wonder if that's a local thing? Being a Fifer, I had a Thornton Gran and a Gallatown Gran.
dunnoh, what is a Fife thing is calling one of them Dai.

« Reply #36 on: 27 May, 2024, 03:41:57 pm »
It was a long time before I realised that my mum’s mum wasn’t actually called Ballindine Mammy, that was just a way of distinguishing her from another Mammy.
To our nephews, my stepmother is Grandma Beach, for fairly obvious reasons.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #37 on: 27 May, 2024, 04:23:10 pm »
I had a granddad & granny and a Grandma & Grandpa. My children had a Grandma Ilkley & Grandpa and a Grandma Burley and a Granddad. Although they drop the place names when addressing them directly.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #38 on: 27 May, 2024, 06:03:41 pm »
I'm Granddad.

MrsC is 'Grannie Island' to the eldest grandchildren, because they watch Katie Morag and we live where that was filmed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 27 May, 2024, 06:43:05 pm »
My sister’s sons called my Dad ‘Big Grandpa’ and her considerably shorter father-in-law ‘Baby Grandpa’.
My German-born maternal grandfather was ‘Opa’ to us but ‘Farfar’ to his Danish grandchildren.
I rather like the way the Danes name their grandparents. Clarifies matters in young minds...

« Reply #40 on: 27 May, 2024, 07:11:15 pm »
Many thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.  Still none the wiswer though about what I should be known as. Interesting the variations on a theme.  Probably end up as Grandpa Russell.

Hope to see little un tomorrow as there have been a few problems for Mum and we weren't able get to the hospital.  They have just been discharged tho' so a home visit is planned for tomorrow afternoon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #41 on: 27 May, 2024, 07:15:07 pm »
We called our grandmothers after their pets' names, so it was Nanny Patch and Nanny Prickle.  This continued long after Patch and Prickle had crossed the rainbow bridge or, in Prickle's case, buggered off to live with another family that must have had nicer food.  He strolled back in years after disappearing, had a snack, then disappeared again for good.  Cats, eh?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #42 on: 28 May, 2024, 02:51:17 pm »
My dad is Bumba to all and sundry. Mispronunciation from No1Daughter as a small.

He's Bumba to people who aren't related to him and introduced as such.

Just leaving this here:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/middle-class-grandparents-demand-ridiculous-original-nicknames-20160913113746

« Reply #43 on: 28 May, 2024, 03:43:29 pm »
So my Mum is Granny to my nieces and nephews, but Dad got named Grumps*

*i'm not sure who coined the name but it stuck and was appropriate as his attitude to grandkids was once he would engage with them once they were 5 and a proper conversation could be held.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #44 on: 28 May, 2024, 04:01:13 pm »
I’m told that should any of my children procreate, an occurrence that is seeming less likely given that they’re all now 30 and over, I will be known as grumpy. I have requested Pa, but suspect that my wishes will, as ever, be disregarded   
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 28 May, 2024, 04:46:43 pm »
My dad is Bumba to all and sundry. Mispronunciation from No1Daughter as a small.

Just leaving this here:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/middle-class-grandparents-demand-ridiculous-original-nicknames-20160913113746
Dangerously close to "bumder", though  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #46 on: 28 May, 2024, 07:01:50 pm »
When my first grandson was born just over 4 years ago I asked my daughter (this was a UK grandson with 3 grandfathers) what the naming convention would be. She didn't know so I opted straight away for Papou (short for Papounet!) for which I knew wouldn't have any competition. I couldn't be Pépé since that was my father-in-law and, more important, Mémé is my mum-i-l and my wife refused to usurp her mum's title. So she is Mamou (short for Mamounette) and this arrangment has stuck both sides of the Channel. The other grandparents sort out what they're going to be called themselves, I got in first so it doesn't concern me!

Both my granddads died before my parents were even married. The grandmothers were Nana (paternal and welsh side of the family) and Gran (maternal and Gloucestershire side).

We are waiting for the 4th (second french one) to come along. Any day now! (Before the end of june!)
Both my

« Reply #47 on: 29 May, 2024, 09:01:22 am »

Just leaving this here:

Dangerously close to "bumder", though  ;D
Nah. He's the Creator : https://mythlok.com/bumba/

Or a clown

Both are pretty accurate.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #48 on: 29 May, 2024, 09:27:50 am »
My offsproggage have Grandpa and †Grandma on one side, and Grandpapa and Grandpuggy on the other. Grandpuggy couldn't bear being Grandmama, as that had been her mother-in-law, wasn't sure about inheriting Bedstemor from her own mother (who had been promoted to Oldemor), and dithered long enough that something was picked for her.

Great-aunts and great-uncles are Graunty F and Gruncle G, which I rather like. Particularly Gruncle.
Not especially helpful or mature

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #49 on: 29 May, 2024, 09:47:20 am »
Others do surnames

dunnoh, what is a Fife thing is calling one of them Dai.

Interesting Dai, Dey etc. cropped up in a facebook forum not long after I posted that.
Apparently it does exist in other Scots speaking parts of Scotland but not as much.
Likely linked to the Welsh Taid.