Author Topic: Weird (to me), QR code behaviour  (Read 562 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Weird (to me), QR code behaviour
« on: 26 May, 2024, 06:22:42 pm »
A graphics app I use (Affinity) has now added a QR code generator, so I thought I would try it out by putting the URL of the Facebook page of a charity I'm a trustee of, on some of their graphics.  I copy and paste the URL in, make the QR code, and then scan it with my phone.  It takes me just to Facebook, but not to the page in question.  I assume the scanner app is shit, install another one, with the same result.  I try with my tablet (Lenovo P11), and it works just fine.  My wife tries with her phone, its just fine.  Her phone and mine are the same make (Xiaomi) but mine is 3 yrs old, and hers 2).  So, any clues as to why this happens?  If its like this for many users, then being able to easily stick QR codes on our stuff is somewhat less than useful.  BTW, my phone is Android 12, the other devices are Android 13.  I don't see why that should be relevant bearing in mind how long QR codes have been around.

I did scan the QR code on the box of our new kettle, and it took me to the correct part of Bosch's website, and also with another URL for a specific part of a website for something I wanted to buy, and it was fine.  So, what's with Facebook URLs?
Wombat

Re: Weird (to me), QR code behaviour
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2024, 06:27:14 pm »
Were you signed in on all devices?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2024, 06:34:07 pm »
And is the page viewable to people without a facebook login?  A tediously large number of them aren't.

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2024, 07:01:28 pm »
To attempt to reply to both responses, yes, I am left logged in on both my phone and my tablet, but when it found the correct page on my tablet, it was not logged in, but asked me to log in.  Hopefully that makes sense as a statement?  Yes, the page is visible to non-Facebook users, as my better half does not have a Facebook account, and like my tablet, it went to the page, and suggested she signed up or logged in.  I just tried generating a really obscure one for a dim dark corner of a commercial website, and my phone went to it, no problem.  So it does seem to e a specifically Facebook issue.  When it shows me to code it has read, on my phone, it does show the full URL, not just Facebook itself.  When I ask it to go to the URL, it goes to my logged in Facebook account, just as if I'd decided to take a look at Facebook.  I don't actually like Facebook, but only signed up to it for this charity, although I do look at it most days.

In case anyone is curious, the URL in question is:  https://www.facebook.com/FoSLNRM
Wombat

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2024, 07:05:27 pm »
Can confirm that I see a Facebook Login prompt over the Friends of the Sierra Leone National Railway Museum page.

I was wondering if the URL was getting truncated, but it's not exactly long.

Could there be Facebook app involvement?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2024, 07:18:02 pm »
Never had a FaceAche account, but I can see that.
Just have to close the pop up that asks you to login or register.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2024, 08:14:51 am »
Quote from: Basil
Just have to close the pop up that asks you to login or register.
Is that the problem?  The popup isn't being handled "correctly" by those machines on which it doesn't work as expected?  For my 2d any device that gives Faceache a right royal ignoring is a device to be treasured.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2024, 08:27:58 am »
What happens when you just scan the QR code with the standard camera app? Should recognise QR codes with no special app required.

Wombat

« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2024, 01:29:16 pm »
The issue is nothing to do with the popup at all.  The issue is that on my phone (and maybe others) it reads to QR code correctly, in that I can see the URL displayed correctly, for the actual Facebook page in question, but when I click the visit website button, it doesn't, it just goes to Facebook, signed in to my account, as if I'd just decided to have a look at Facebook.  If it does this on other people's phones, putting a QR code with the charity's Facebook details on, isn't going to be much use.  I despise Facebook anyway, but we need to point people to our page, and it seemed that a QR code might be a simple way to do that.  I tried with the scanner app supplied with the phone, and another one, with the same result.
Wombat

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2024, 01:35:51 pm »
I found a QR code which my Google pixel 6 will not recognise but my Samsung S20 will.

Bizarre.