Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193773 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #100 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:18:32 pm »
Gosh, half our town is missing. Hadn't expected that in a well-populated area.

simonp

« Reply #101 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:22:59 pm »
Gosh, half our town is missing. Hadn't expected that in a well-populated area.

It's all about geek ratios.  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #102 on: 14 January, 2009, 11:26:51 pm »
Idiot's guide:

1: Install GPSBabel: GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs

2: Power up your GPS and connect it to the computer.

3: For the input, tick "Device", for output choose a filename, and ensure that Waypoints and Tracks are ticked.

4: Click "Let's Go" and it'll suck the tracks and waypoints off your GPS to the GPX file on your computer.

5: Go to OpenStreetMap: OpenStreetMap

6: Click the GPS Traces tab and sign in.

7: Click the Upload A Trace link and follow the instructions.

8: Wait about half an hour (sometime less, sometimes more) for the trace to get into the public database.  You'll receive a mail when it is ready.

9: Edit!

(Lordy, I'm hooked - I'm planning my commutes to fill in blank spots!  ::-) )

Skip the track upload. It takes too long and is only of interest for others if you are not going to add the roads yourself.

Open JOSM. Download the data for the area of interest. Open your GPS trace file.
You can see the traces. Edit.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

inc

« Reply #103 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:49:37 am »

I haven't plugged the GPS in yet though...  I only have a serial cable and this ubuntu box only has USB ports.

Setup - driver - dropdown list, the last two items are Garmin serial, no idea if they work though.

Sorry misread your post, you can get usb - serial leads.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #104 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:52:05 am »
It's all about geek ratios.  ;D

A universal truth of wikis everywhere!  :)

Skip the track upload. It takes too long and is only of interest for others if you are not going to add the roads yourself.

Depends if you're doing it there and then.  If you upload tracks and leave it a while, the wiki faeries will sometimes do the work for you! 

For my editing, I do as you suggest - just my local GPX, which is lots cleaner (especially if you turn lines on).
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

inc

« Reply #105 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:21:36 am »

I thought OSM only takes tracks ie the trackpoints generated by the unit.

From OSM

There are two things the importer won't do. First, it won't take in GPS points without timestamps as they're to be used to work out speed and so on. The other is that it doesn't import waypoints and your file consists only of waypoints.

The reason for this is that if you reset many GPS units or download map data to them, then you often get copyrighted data put in the GPX. The most famous example is that if you reset a Garmin GPS unit then it will put the locations of the Garmin offices around the world as waypoints on the unit.

Unless I have misunderstood this, I seem to recall reading on the site about prefering the gpx from the mass storage device as there was no chance of unit edited timestamps.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #106 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:39:34 am »
OSM's track uploader doesn't take *waypoints* - thats "001 carpark", the user-generated ones.

If you load the GPX directly into JOSM on your computer (instead of uploading it), you get waypoints and tracks.  This is ver' handy indeed. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #107 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:21:00 am »
It's cool seeing the bits I added on Tuesday night already rendered. Many more paths to add thoughbut.

..d

« Reply #108 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:37:29 am »
JOSM  ???

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #109 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:40:50 am »
JOSM is an optional, downloadable editor.  It has a lot more useful data presets (things like pharmacies and stiles). 

simonp

« Reply #110 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:27:45 pm »

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #111 on: 15 January, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »
The computerteddy map files have been updated (Yesterday).

I am just downloading the whole UK - if that goes OK, I may try all western europe.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #112 on: 16 January, 2009, 12:27:15 pm »
You don't have to wait half an hour if using Potlatch (the online editor). You can just click 'Edit' immediately to the right of the track, in the listing.

The other advantage of doing it this way is that the waypoints come through. If I'm mapping an NCN route, for example, I'll usually log a waypoint at the point which it changes between on and off-road - it's really helpful to have these available when editing.

Andy, if there's any specific presets you'd like to see in Potlatch, let me know!

It's generally good practice to upload the tracks if you can - just so that if some bloke comes along and says "oy, you copied that from the OS", we can turn round and say "no we didn't, here's the track". But not essential.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #113 on: 16 January, 2009, 12:31:57 pm »
Andy, if there's any specific presets you'd like to see in Potlatch, let me know!

Land use!  :)

« Reply #114 on: 16 January, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
It's generally good practice to upload the tracks if you can - just so that if some bloke comes along and says "oy, you copied that from the OS", we can turn round and say "no we didn't, here's the track". But not essential.
I mostly haven't been, on the grounds that I go over them in JOSM immediately, and that at 1 point per second with a lot of the same bits of road being on lots of different tracks, it's just a load of wasted space on the OSM server. My GPX files get to several megabytes each.

Should I change?

David Martin

« Reply #115 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:38:13 pm »
I mostly haven't been, on the grounds that I go over them in JOSM immediately, and that at 1 point per second with a lot of the same bits of road being on lots of different tracks, it's just a load of wasted space on the OSM server. My GPX files get to several megabytes each.

Should I change?

I am interested to hear this too. If you really, really want the GPS I can upload it. Otherwise it is easier to just open the GPX, take the coordinates from JOSM, and then pull down the data one needs.

Gradually joining the dots around Dundee. I must get an easy way to put waypoints onto the GPS trace. I am tempted to update the GPS to one where I can just hit a button.

..d

simonp

« Reply #116 on: 16 January, 2009, 03:49:51 pm »
You could probably remove the parts of your trace that overlap those bits that are already mapped.

« Reply #117 on: 16 January, 2009, 05:41:15 pm »
you can, but it's all added palaver, especially if there isn't all that much that's new road.

tonycollinet

« Reply #118 on: 16 January, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »

I am just downloading the whole UK - if that goes OK, I may try all western europe.

Well that worked. It is nice to see features I have mapped sitting there on my GPS. I've also now downloaded the whole of western Europe(more that 300mb worth). Unzipping them now.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #119 on: 16 January, 2009, 09:44:14 pm »

Which is the UK download?  I've a fancy to combine it with the SMC topo to get something topo and fresh. 

« Reply #120 on: 16 January, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
Well I got the maps in, but unless I'm overly mistaken there don't seem to be any local roads in this area. 

You know what you must do  ;)

Yes  ;D     I was fearing that reply  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Let's focus on trying to get the GPS working, then somebody will have to give me an idiot's guide as to how to get the data back to the public domain :-[

I've registered with OSM  :-[

I might go and get the GPS out tomorrow...

Bear with me if I ask stupid questions soon...

tonycollinet

« Reply #121 on: 16 January, 2009, 11:40:13 pm »

Which is the UK download?  I've a fancy to combine it with the SMC topo to get something topo and fresh. 

I identified the tiles with the Coordinate-To-OSM-Tile site.

I've got a spreadsheet to convert the file list to a list of wget commands, which I put into a batch file, and run to donwload all the tiles. (need to install wget first)

« Reply #122 on: 16 January, 2009, 11:48:08 pm »
bloomin eck, do you geeks talk in another language accidentally, or just enjoy playing with our minds?

tonycollinet

« Reply #123 on: 17 January, 2009, 12:52:17 am »
bloomin eck, do you geeks talk in another language accidentally, or just enjoy playing with our minds?

Probably the second....  ;D

I've now got the whole of western Europe on my garmin.

« Reply #124 on: 17 January, 2009, 01:08:12 am »
I am wearing pink socks /geek /refute /q-pm-ig=tr