Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193835 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #175 on: 19 January, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »
Well I dunno what I've done with my track in potlatch now.I seem to have multiple ways over the top of each other.  Each time I delete a point I get a new line whizzing across to a different point on the map.

It's getting irritating cutting a road at a junction, neatening out the ways, then when I go to the final click to make it a "residential road" clicking on one of the other multiple ways that include most of the gpx plot >:(

I'm slowly clearing down all these duplicates  :thumbsup:     Here's hoping that tomorrow will be as busy on the phone as today was  ;)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #176 on: 19 January, 2009, 07:34:04 pm »
Potlach is great for quick edits. It is far nicer to use JOSM which has more control on the interface.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #177 on: 20 January, 2009, 12:29:43 am »
Potlatch was being used for two reasons.

1) I couldn't work out josm at all, nor did the help files assist in any way.  (To be re-visited).

2) I was at work and in back to back conference calls.  Browser is ok.  Installing software on company PC is not ok.

« Reply #178 on: 20 January, 2009, 01:04:02 am »
Another question, in readiness for the next cycle ride  :demon:

What's the protocol re made/unmade roads?

There's a failed plotland development just north of the track I've uploaded, which I purposefully ignored.  The roads are still there, and passable, but most users are pedestrians or horses (cycling is possible but challenging dependant on how much the horses have churned it up).  Do I just put them in as roads, as some maps do, or do I put them in as bridleways/some other tag?

As far as I'm concerned they're passable, but anybody in a car would be objecting  ;D

Also, how about roads that are unmade, but passable thanks to the nearby residents continually filling the potholes with rubble.  There are some roads in there that I'll happily drive down (as do many others) but are really rough in some weathers/time of year.  e.g. Runnymede Chase which I suspect was mapped by a computer department geek at the labelled 6th form college (and that car park is for council staff/swimming pool users, NOT students  >:() continues north from there, but is unmade.  Only the tarmac has been mapped thus far, just compare it to google maps which not only continues as far north as The Chase (unmade and locally reputed to have been used by King John to access his hunting lodge) but also even has the access slip to the swimming pool maintenance doors shown  :o

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #179 on: 20 January, 2009, 09:09:30 am »
I'm marking unmade roads as highway=track, surface=gravel.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #180 on: 20 January, 2009, 10:36:20 am »
I'm marking unmade roads as highway=track, surface=gravel.

There are a whole slew of different ways to record them. Highway=unsurfaced might be possible. There are tags for unmetalled highway condition from easy to pass to impassible by vehicle.

Check the Wiki.

..d

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #181 on: 20 January, 2009, 11:04:38 pm »
Here, you know in the bottom-left of the GPS screen there's a scale and below it a caption (basemap, mapsource, overzoom)?  I wonder if we could make that "mapsource" say something else?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

zzpza

« Reply #182 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »
New build of the maps here (download link).

David Martin

« Reply #183 on: 22 January, 2009, 09:18:18 am »
And not quite so many blank bits by Dundee ;-)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #184 on: 22 January, 2009, 09:39:27 am »
New build of the maps here (download link).

Ooh, a new canal map.  Not quite sure what use it is but I love to see the weird mutant maps.

David Martin

« Reply #185 on: 22 January, 2009, 10:07:28 am »
I'm finding that I sit down with OSM and OS to plan the next rides, looking for bits which aren't on OSM to ride and map. Have to see where the boys are off to this weekend, the usual routes to Dunkeld are not yet mapped.

..d

« Reply #186 on: 22 January, 2009, 11:48:49 am »
I say, the roads I cycled on Sunday appear to be on the openstreetmap page  ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:     (unless I zoom in to far?  is that normal to lose them on full zoom?)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #187 on: 22 January, 2009, 11:59:34 am »
ctrl-refresh, your browser may be caching old tiles.

« Reply #188 on: 22 January, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
Ah yes.  Ta.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #189 on: 22 January, 2009, 12:45:35 pm »
...on which note, it's nice to see my updates in place!  :)  Now to compile a fresh UK topo tonight, as wget falls foul of my firewall here :P

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #190 on: 22 January, 2009, 07:28:36 pm »
I've built this week's map for UK&IE / Topo, which is here:  mappy goodness

This week I've used ComputerTeddy's bright and colourful typ-file instead of the Garmin default.  What do you think?   :thumbsup: or  :sick: ?

Also, in the tools folder, a list of UK tiles, and a script that gets them all from the latest version.

Edit: UGLY UGLY UGLY UGLY! :sick: :sick: :sick:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #191 on: 06 February, 2009, 03:03:32 pm »
I've built this week's map for UK&IE / Topo, which is here:  mappy goodness
Computer says: "Feck right off!"  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #192 on: 07 February, 2009, 12:06:09 am »
Just pick the freshest from Index of /andyg/maps - hold your horses for about an hour as I'm just uploading this week's (Feb 05). :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #193 on: 09 February, 2009, 06:38:44 pm »
I'm impressed with Osmarender. I uploaded some routes yesterday evening and they were rendered this morning.

« Reply #194 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
Ok, I've read this and feel like a right numpty.   I'd like to load these maps onto my GPS60CSX and give them a try but have no clue as to how to do it.

I have a USB lead for my Garmin and it has a 1gb card in it but plugged in to my PC I cannot see the Garmin.   

Is there somewhere a truly simply 'words of one syllable' numpty special guide please?   

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #195 on: 15 February, 2009, 10:09:57 pm »
You need to switch it into mass storage mode (when it pretends to be a USM stick, and appears on your computer).

On the device, powered up and connected, find Settings > Interface.   :thumbsup:

(oh, can anyone let me know if the street labels in this week's map are weird or if it's just me?)

David Martin

« Reply #196 on: 15 February, 2009, 11:46:25 pm »
I'm impressed with Osmarender. I uploaded some routes yesterday evening and they were rendered this morning.
Yes, it is rather good - I've noticed new roads appearing in a few hours or so.
If you don't want to wait as long you can go here and add a render request: The Information Freeway :: A map of the planet
Then it will probably get updated within minutes.

The last upload I did was rendered on Mapnik overnight - on a Saturday. Very impressed.

..d

bikenerd

« Reply #197 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:53:52 am »
This is all marvellous, a real philanthropic project just like wikipedia!  :thumbsup:

I've been trying to figure out how to generate .tdb files to go alongside the .img files so I can use the maps in Mapsource.  Well, actually Roadtrip on the Mac, but I've got a utility (gmapi) that converts from .tdb to the format needed by the Mac.

I'm a bit stumped.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Techy geek speak is fine! :)

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #198 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:43:08 am »
I've been trying to figure out how to generate .tdb files to go alongside the .img files so I can use the maps in Mapsource. 

The Iceland cyclemap that I use comes with .tdb files, and I've managed to add it to Mapsource.  You can find the scripts used to generate it from the gitweb link here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin_map_of_Iceland#External_links.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #199 on: 17 February, 2009, 12:58:40 pm »
What's a TDB?