Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193700 times)

bikenerd

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #200 on: 17 February, 2009, 02:15:21 pm »
What's a TDB?

It's the file type that Mapsource needs.  I think it's somekind of indexing file for the individual tiles.
Using the method linked to by Bruce, I'm currently building this for Great Britain.  If it works, I'll let you all know how to do it and provide the files, if someone has some webspace for them.

I'm using this app to convert to the format needed for the Mac.

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #201 on: 17 February, 2009, 02:46:40 pm »
What's a TDB?

Tile database, I think.

It's beyond me why the hardware device will work with a gmapsup.img file, but the mapsource software needs separate img files plus the tdb.

To get Mapsource to recognise the img and tdb, you need to supply values to the windows registry (the filenames and folders appear under Garmin/Mapsource/Families).  This is tricky in version 6.14.  I had a program that updated the registry automatically, but deleted it when my antivirus software complained.  It's still recommended on the OSM forum.

bikenerd

« Reply #202 on: 18 February, 2009, 10:40:05 am »
Using the method linked to by Bruce, I'm currently building this for Great Britain.  If it works, I'll let you all know how to do it and provide the files, if someone has some webspace for them.

Does anyone know how long it takes to run mkgmap on a typical area?  I'm trying it for the UK now, it's been running since yesterday morning!  The input file was 1.4GB, though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #203 on: 18 February, 2009, 11:32:57 am »
Wow!  How many tiles has it pooped out?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bikenerd

« Reply #204 on: 18 February, 2009, 11:42:21 am »
Wow!  How many tiles has it pooped out?

None at the point where I killed it!

I'm trying a different tack.  I didn't realise that this here Linux box (work computer, naughty!) was running the GNU version of Java* as default.  It also has the Sun version installed, so I've changed the default to be that.
I'm now running tilesplitter, to split the .osm data up into tiles.  This produces tiles and a file list that can then be fed into mkgmap to produced the .img tiles and the .tdb file.  I think! :)

When it works, I'll do a step by step here.

* I hate Java.  A true abomination.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #205 on: 18 February, 2009, 01:30:12 pm »
Wow - Yesterdays edits are in already. Cool.  Some bits to revisit over the weekend to tidy up.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

bikenerd

« Reply #206 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:41:43 am »
Righto, update time.

I downloaded the Great Britain OSM data from a German website called Geofabrik: Europe downloads.  These are updated from the main OSM repository every day.

I used the Splitter application: OSM tile splitter to break the GBR data into something more manageable.

I then used the mkgmap application: OSM mkgmap to generate the .img and .tdb files that Mapsource needs.  Windows users can (probably) use these to install the map into Mapsource.

(The above 2 apps require Sun's Java 1.6.  They also call this Java 6!)

I finally used gmapibuilder application: OSM gmapibuilder to convert the .tdb and .img files into the format needed for the Mac.  I then used Garmin's Mapmanager application to install the map and Roadtrip to view the map.

It works!  But there are caveats.  When moving the map around the labels go crazy, flipping between lying on the road and not.  Also, the map is *always* called OSM map, despite what I supply as command line arguments to mkgmap.

More experimentation is required, I think.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #207 on: 19 February, 2009, 11:05:03 am »
Your nerd-fu is stronger than mine, nice one.

I still want to get that little label on the Garmin screen (where it says "basemap" "mapsource" or "overzoom" to say "openstreetmap" but I've no idea how...
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #208 on: 19 February, 2009, 09:13:32 pm »
Tonight's updates will be in place by 23:00.  Someone's been busy, there's a meg more data and all the peaks and streams on Dartmoor. 

I notice after playing with Cloudmade's routing that my maps aren't routable.  I guess I'm just going to have to set up my own jobs to crunch the numbers and build routable tiles, 'cos routable I need...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #209 on: 21 February, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »
Wow - Yesterdays edits are in already. Cool.  Some bits to revisit over the weekend to tidy up.

Since they got new servers, they've raised the update frequency on the main map to every hour (or so). 

Exports of planet.osm are still weekly on Wednesdays.

I downloaded the Great Britain OSM data from a German website called Geofabrik: Europe downloads.  These are updated from the main OSM repository every day.

I used the Splitter application: OSM tile splitter to break the GBR data into something more manageable.

I then used the mkgmap application: OSM mkgmap to generate the .img and .tdb files that Mapsource needs.  Windows users can (probably) use these to install the map into Mapsource.

Having my first go at making the map, and the first thing I notice is "crikey, this takes a long time on a steam-powered old laptop - now 7h and counting for England".  The second thing is "should have gone to specsavers used the tile splitter, doh!  :)

I'm happy with Teddy's tiles, but they're not routable, and when you try to route my map, it throws a benny.  How long did your tiles take to calculate?

« Reply #210 on: 21 February, 2009, 08:02:01 pm »
You need to switch it into mass storage mode (when it pretends to be a USM stick, and appears on your computer).

On the device, powered up and connected, find Settings > Interface.   :thumbsup:

(oh, can anyone let me know if the street labels in this week's map are weird or if it's just me?)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice.   I've tried this but the gps unit just freezes with a dimmed screen.  it shows it is connected but does not show on the pc.

I've just ordered a 2gb microsd card with a flashy USB pen 'hub' thingy so I can do the download and put the maps directly onto the card.   Always worth a try.   

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #211 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »
Oh, you don't have a card?  That'll probably be it, then.  Mass storage mode makes the card available as the USB drive!

« Reply #212 on: 21 February, 2009, 09:13:31 pm »
No, I do have a card and it's in the gps.   I just needed to find a way to load up the card so I bought a usb thingy that takes a micro SD card, and an extra 2gb card at the same time.

It befuddles me.   :-\

« Reply #213 on: 21 February, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »
Ok, I've read this and feel like a right numpty.   I'd like to load these maps onto my GPS60CSX and give them a try but have no clue as to how to do it.

I have a USB lead for my Garmin and it has a 1gb card in it but plugged in to my PC I cannot see the Garmin.   

Is there somewhere a truly simply 'words of one syllable' numpty special guide please?   

On my 60CSx, I've just done the following......

turn on GPS
[menu] -> use with GPS off  [enter]   (just to avoid logging rubbish positions)
[menu]  [menu]  -> Setup  [enter] -> Interface [enter]
-> USB Mass Storage [enter]

long beep and GPS goes dead, but with lit screen

connect USB cable

chime from PC
A Windows Explorer window pops up showing drive G: with a "garmin" folder on it  (drive letter may vary)
In the system tray (bottom right, with the clock) there's a new icon showing a little grey something with a green left-pointing arrow above. Holding the mouse pointer over it shows "Safely remove hardware"

The G:\garmin folder has in it a file called "gmapsupp.img" This is my mapping.
There is also a folder "Poi" that contains the custom points of interest I loaded using the Garmin Poiloader program (free download).
Tracks logged to the card whilst riding will show at top level on G: - eg G:\20090219.gpx

The gmapsupp.img file I use was created by Mapsource from City Navigator data. OpenStreetMap data will have to be digested into a file of the same name as talked about up thread, and just copied into G:\garmin\gmapsupp.img using Windows Explorer. Create the "garmin" folder if it's not already there.

To disconnect the GPS, click on the "Safely remove hardware" system tray icon and select "Safely remove USB mass storage device - Drive (G:)"

You'll get a message on the PC saying you can unplug, the GPS will beep, and it will return to the screen it was on before you went into the menu to connect.
If you unplug the cable you'll get a GPS beep and a message "External power lost - turning off in 30 seconds"

If you unplug the GPS without doing the "Safely Remove Hardware" bit, you will probably have to turn it off to get it working again. You may also find that not everything you copied onto it is there as the "Safely remove hardware" function also flushes the write buffers.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #214 on: 21 February, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »
My  Im is duly pressed. Today's edits are already rendered and live on Mapnik..

.d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

bikenerd

« Reply #215 on: 22 February, 2009, 10:02:50 am »
I'm happy with Teddy's tiles, but they're not routable, and when you try to route my map, it throws a benny.  How long did your tiles take to calculate?

Teddy's EU map has the same problems in RoadTrip as the map I generated has, so I'm thinking that it's something to do with RoadTrip rather than the map generation. :(

My UK map takes about 10 minutes to split and then generate on a 3 year old AMD 64.  I haven't generated a routable map yet but mkgmap now supports it.  Use the --route option.

Are you using Sun's Java 6 (1.6)?  mkgmap and the tile splitter really didn't like the GNU Java I tried to use first.

« Reply #216 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:14:30 pm »
Ok, I've read this and feel like a right numpty.   I'd like to load these maps onto my GPS60CSX and give them a try but have no clue as to how to do it.

I have a USB lead for my Garmin and it has a 1gb card in it but plugged in to my PC I cannot see the Garmin.   

Is there somewhere a truly simply 'words of one syllable' numpty special guide please?   

On my 60CSx, I've just done the following......

turn on GPS
[menu] -> use with GPS off  [enter]   (just to avoid logging rubbish positions)

long beep and GPS goes dead, but with lit screen

connect USB cable

chime from PC
A Windows Explorer window pops up showing drive G: with a "garmin" folder on it  (drive letter may vary)
In the system tray (bottom right, with the clock) there's a new icon showing a little grey something with a green left-pointing arrow above. Holding the mouse pointer over it shows "Safely remove hardware"

The G:\garmin folder has in it a file called "gmapsupp.img" This is my mapping.
There is also a folder "Poi" that contains the custom points of interest I loaded using the Garmin Poiloader program (free download).
Tracks logged to the card whilst riding will show at top level on G: - eg G:\20090219.gpx

The gmapsupp.img file I use was created by Mapsource from City Navigator data. OpenStreetMap data will have to be digested into a file of the same name as talked about up thread, and just copied into G:\garmin\gmapsupp.img using Windows Explorer. Create the "garmin" folder if it's not already there.

To disconnect the GPS, click on the "Safely remove hardware" system tray icon and select "Safely remove USB mass storage device - Drive (G:)"

You'll get a message on the PC saying you can unplug, the GPS will beep, and it will return to the screen it was on before you went into the menu to connect.
If you unplug the cable you'll get a GPS beep and a message "External power lost - turning off in 30 seconds"

If you unplug the GPS without doing the "Safely Remove Hardware" bit, you will probably have to turn it off to get it working again. You may also find that not everything you copied onto it is there as the "Safely remove hardware" function also flushes the write buffers.

No luck.  it still does not know my GPS unit is connected.   :(

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #217 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:55:14 am »
Have you installed the Garmin USB driver?

I find it works better to power the unit, connect it and then switch it to Mass Storage mode, but obviously since Andrew does it the other way it can work either way.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #218 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:59:16 am »

I find it works better to power the unit, connect it and then switch it to Mass Storage mode, but obviously since Andrew does it the other way it can work either way.

Where from, how, and to what, please?   

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #219 on: 23 February, 2009, 10:00:53 am »
Heh.  Died after 14 hours of grinding.  I'll try again later...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #220 on: 23 February, 2009, 10:33:52 am »
Where from, how, and to what, please?   

The GPS was probably supplied originally with a CD.  On that CD are Trip & Waypoint Manager (for Windows) and a USB driver.  As I recall, the install routines are extremely flakey and its very easy to exit before everything has been done that needs to be done.
Alternatively there might be a USB driver available here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=591

I dunno what it does as its most unusual for Windows to need drivers for any USB device these days.  I think it must be specific to what I call the 'GPS mode' connection, which is not what you are trying for - but anyway ...

Map-specific or GPS-specific software that can connect to your GPS (such as GPSBabel, or Memory Map, or Mapsource) will usually have a menu item to configure the connection - at minimum it would be a Serial/GPS choice, but often there's a lot more configuration available, port numbers etc.  All this relates to the 'GPS mode' connection, which usually allows transfer of routes, tracks and waypoints.  Mapsource (but not Trip&Waypoint) can also use this mode to transfer maps - including non-Garmin ones if you fiddle around a bit.

So - can you connect in this mode?  (Which is the default for older Garmin GPS such as the Etrex and 60 series)  Can you transfer tracks and routes using software?

If not - then I'd guess its the USB driver is the problem.
If you can - then just make the connection as usual and if Andrew's method doesn't work I'm stumped ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #221 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:09:11 am »
I've tried it on a couple of machines now and none of them recognise it at all.  I'm beginning to wonder if my USB cable is actually flaky as Windows XP is pretty good at knowing it has an unknown device and starting to search for drivers for it.   Nothing at all though.

« Reply #222 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:13:11 am »
I've just ordered a new Garmin data cable for £2.50 delivered so I can give that a try when it gets here.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #223 on: 23 February, 2009, 06:52:54 pm »
Good luck!

Meanwhile at Routable Towers...  I had a go at work and used the tile splitter, which breaks England into five chunks and leaves Scotland, Wales, Ireland and the Isle of Man alone; each chunk takes a few minutes to render with the -Xmx1000m memory flag.  Made img files using the split parts, but despite the --route flag, the map isn't routable on my Legend.  Some google over tea reveals that to make a working routable map, you need the extra stage of converting the osm into Polish format (a vector format for maps) using osm2mp.  That's a Perl script, so Yours Truly is just installing Perl and will have another go later... 

I think there's a bit of confusion in the blurb.  The conversion to Polish format is optional to get maps, but mandatory to get routable maps.  BBL.

bikenerd

« Reply #224 on: 23 February, 2009, 08:37:24 pm »
Your nerd-fu is growing, young grasshopper! :)