Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193810 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #225 on: 23 February, 2009, 10:10:59 pm »
My home box is definitely too feeble to make the default size tiles.  Am trying with half-size (million-node) tiles now.  If nothing else, this has led me to make some really lovely batch files full of the Star Trek computer burbling "progam complete" and "working"  ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #226 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:45:08 pm »
I ROCK!  ;D

Right, UK  Ireland Topological and Streets ROUTABLE is going to be up at my download spot from about half-past midnight tonight.  It's fresh with today's OSM data.  Please test!

Method:

1: Get the country.osm files from Geofabrik like wot Bikenerd does.

2: Use the tile splitter to cut England into manageable chunks: 
java -Xmx500m -jar splitter.jar --max-nodes=1000000 ..\data\osm\england.osm

3: Use osm2mp (v065, requires Perl and the Template-toolkit plugin) to convert the .osm files into .mp files.  No switches for this:
perl osm2mp.pl ..\data\osm\scotland.osm > ..\data\mp\scotland.mp

4: Use mkgmap to make the Garmin .img files.  Tricks here are to use the latest (v924), and to include the -enableassertions flag in the right place - before the mkgmap.jar (it's a flag on the java, not the mapmaker - tip of the hat to tkatzir for cluing me into that):
java -jar -Xmx512m -enableassertions mkgmap.jar --route --latin1 ..\data\mp\map1.mp ..\data\mp\map2.mp ..\data\mp\map3.mp

For my clockwork laptop, the splitting takes 30 minutes and the making takes 10 minutes.  We end up with 5 tiles and an overview tile, which can then be fed into Sendmap and built into a GMAPSUPP.IMG in the usual way.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

bikenerd

« Reply #227 on: 24 February, 2009, 08:41:06 am »
Excellent work!

I ROCK!  ;D

You certainly do! :)

1: Get the country.osm files from Geofabrik like wot Bikenerd does.

When I was digging around after I'd posted, I found a few other places the tiles are available: Cloudmade being the one I can remember at the moment.
Just incase Geofabrik stops serving.

Good work Andy.  I'm beginning to think my problem with the labels could be overcome with a style file.
You can't get Java 6 for the Mac yet though, so progress is glacial.

[edit]: any chance you could make the .tdb file as well?  I think it's as simple as supplying --tdb after mkgmap.jar.  The size of the file is very small.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #228 on: 24 February, 2009, 09:43:14 am »
Cloudmade, incidentally, also do IMG files of most of the world in logical chunks.  They're not routable (yet), but it's the first place I've found that's putting out the USA state-by-state.

I'll bung out a tdb-and-tiles zip later tonight; I don't have MapSource so it's not been a priority.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #229 on: 24 February, 2009, 07:29:30 pm »
Just for you: uk_ireland_routable_23-02-02009_tiles.zip (no topo, you can add the SMC contours yourself ;) )

« Reply #230 on: 25 February, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »
I've just ordered a new Garmin data cable for £2.50 delivered so I can give that a try when it gets here.
I've just tried my 60CSx on my work PC, which has never been near any Garmin software.
It connected straight off, the same way as in my previous post.

Dodgy cable seems most likely. The cables aren't special - I'm using one that came with an MP3 player.

« Reply #231 on: 26 February, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
New lead sorted the issue immediately.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #232 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »
OMG!   What fantastic maps, what an incredible resource.   Less than 3 minutes to download the maps onto my GPS from the original link.   

Superb  :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #233 on: 28 February, 2009, 10:09:47 pm »
Just spent some time making the one-click map maker, so I can do it without having to think or anything like that.  Yay for chains of scripts.  From downloads to zipped package: one hour, 20 minutes.  Ouch!

« Reply #234 on: 28 February, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »
I've been out visiting the latest addition to the family today, four days old, Evan.  I took the gps with me and found sketchy coverage near where he lives.   I guess I'll be looking at how to fill in gaps next...    :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #235 on: 11 March, 2009, 10:09:52 pm »
How would you map this physical situation?

A terrace, with an access alley passing through it at ground level to space behind the buildings.  The alley is wide enough for a motor vehicle, and the first floor of the buildings forms a complete roof over it.

highway = service
service = alley
maxheight = 3

...but tunnel = yes?  Or is there a better way?

Craig

« Reply #236 on: 11 March, 2009, 11:35:04 pm »
Is it a tunnel, or is the building above a bridge?
If you were drawing individual buildings, you could tag it as building=yes (or building=house etc), plus bridge=yes and layer=1

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #237 on: 12 March, 2009, 08:45:37 am »
Gah, that would mean I have to draw the whole main street! It's currently landuse=retail along the road, which is enough for me. 

It's not a tunnel: it doesn't go underground.

I guess the building is a bridge, but not a bridge with any ways on - unless you count the internal hallway from the bathroom to the bog.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #238 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:42:24 am »
I would call that a tunnel, in the absence of anything better.  Never mind the pedantry - the point is the vehicular width and headroom.  Sounds a bit like Neal's Yard BTW.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #239 on: 12 March, 2009, 11:38:14 am »
Hm, that - and some similar constructions I know elsewhere - seem to have been done as footways.  I'll do that for now, it'll at least prevent routing instructions from sending people this way :)

« Reply #240 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:21:43 am »
Hi Andy,

Beg a a favour if I might please?

I'm having a problem with your downloads.  I've read the readme on your site and followed the instructions.   After download to my pc I cannot extract as I get a message telling me that the newly created folder has no files to extract.   Am I doing something stupid that you can think of please?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #241 on: 15 March, 2009, 01:21:47 pm »
Check the download's complete: the current maps are 162Mb zipped.  If in doubt, download again.

« Reply #242 on: 15 March, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »
Cheers Andy.  I'll give it another bash but I'm sure it said that the download was complete. 

« Reply #243 on: 15 March, 2009, 02:48:11 pm »
Tried again.  Still tells me that the compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted.   Bum   :(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #244 on: 15 March, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »
It's buggered, that's why :)  I'm re-uploading a fresh zip.  Give it an hour or so then take a look.

« Reply #245 on: 15 March, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »
You're a top man Andy.  Thanks very much.    :thumbsup:

I'm doing my homework so I'll try again later.   

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #246 on: 16 March, 2009, 01:13:19 pm »
Added another 30 miles of Tayside roads yesterday on my way home from a work do.
Slightly less is now marked 'here be dragons'

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #247 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:02:46 pm »
Updates tonight.  Two styles: Default, and my new one, Munky.  Both are routable.  Munky has:

* More attractive UK road styles (IMO) with road colours that fit UK mapping conventions.
* Land styles that borrow from the OpenStreetMap look and feel (check out graveyards 8) ).
* Cycle paths blazed blue, distinct from footpaths.
* Gates and steps marked (because they matter on cycle and footpaths).
* Various highway POI added (traffic lights, mini-roundabouts, zebra and level crossings)
* Better POI naming so the search is more pleasant.
* Some adjustment of zoom levels so letterboxes don't obscure the important stuff: pubs and cafes!
* A bunch of useful shop-type POI added (in particular, bike shops!).
* UK style icons for some other stuff.

It's a work in progress and comment is welcome. 

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #248 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:36:05 pm »
Hi Andy

Am I correct that the munky version is split into separate tiles? If so, how do I rejoin them?

Thanks

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #249 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:40:19 pm »
The tiles are for weirdos who can't do a full IMG.  ;)

The Munky version isn't up yet, it's stuck in slow-upload hell.  Give it a go in the morning. :thumbsup: