Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193842 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #250 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:42:25 pm »
Ah

Excellent.

Will try tomorrow.

« Reply #251 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:34:15 am »
Andy,

Your Munky Maps are brilliant.  Many thanks.    8)   :thumbsup:     

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #252 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:48:53 pm »
Munky maps look good - but roads seem to vanish in wales - surprisingly almost exactly at the welsh border???

edit: scotland seems to be struggling as well.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #253 on: 19 March, 2009, 07:28:55 am »
That's bloody weird.  They're definitely being included.  Recompiling didn't help, I'll have to investigate further tonight. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #254 on: 19 March, 2009, 01:15:17 pm »
I note from the maps that good coverage it patchy.   I'd like to start adding in unmapped areas, not only in my vicinity, but also for instance I'm off to Nethy Bridge next week and some mapping could be done to improve what's there too..   So, I need to know a few things please.

1:  What setting do I need my GPS to use?

2:  Do I jsut turn it on and let it do its thing?

3:  How do I get a track from my GPS into the map?

4:  How do I put labels and points of interest on the maps?

I have a Garmip GPS60CSX with a 2gb card which is more than 3/4 empty, and I'm a tad techno-illiterate.

Thanks.   :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #255 on: 19 March, 2009, 01:35:38 pm »
1:  What setting do I need my GPS to use?

Make sure the Datum (in map settings) is WGS-84, and you may want to turn up the trackpoint frequency so it collects finer data. 

2:  Do I jsut turn it on and let it do its thing?

Yup.   :)

3:  How do I get a track from my GPS into the map?

Download GPSBabel: GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs

Use it to get the track (and waypoints) from your GPS to your computer.

Go to the OpenStreetMap "Traces" tab, OpenStreetMap | Public GPS traces, and upload them.  You'll need to register to upload and edit.

The easy, online editor is accessed via the "Edit" tab.  Basically, you just draw over your traces (traces are pretty ragged, human drawing is much nicer).  The editor is called Potlatch and its docs are here: Potlatch - OpenStreetMap

The more hardcore editor I use is called JOSM - good for batch edits and tweaking (stuff like joining ways is easier in JOSM, and it has a load of presets).  JOSM's docs are here: JOSM - OpenStreetMap
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #256 on: 19 March, 2009, 01:38:28 pm »
Munky maps look good - but roads seem to vanish in wales - surprisingly almost exactly at the welsh border???
edit: scotland seems to be struggling as well.

I've been saying all along that OSM is too Anglo-centric ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #257 on: 19 March, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »
Use it to get the track (and waypoints) from your GPS to your computer.

Go to the OpenStreetMap "Traces" tab, OpenStreetMap | Public GPS traces, and upload them.  You'll need to register to upload and edit.

Chop the track into little bits.  Too many points and the Potlach editor seems to smooth it out rather.
I've been keeping each segment below 200 points, but even at that it seems to lose some of them.

« Reply #258 on: 19 March, 2009, 01:47:43 pm »
For recording tracks for OpenStreetmap, you will want to record the tracks to the card, and set the recording frequency as high as possible (1 point per second). Setting to WGS84 is not necessary, as that's what gets recorded into the GPX, regardless of what is actually displayed at the time.
For recording the location of roadside features (pubs, phone boxes etc), I find it easier to ride in a little loop than record a waypoint/mark. A small voice recorder is also handy if you have one.

You get one GPX file per day, which can be up to 4-5Mb. If you are still riding at midnight, the end of the ride will be in the next day's GPX file. If you turn off and turn on, you get separate track logs, but in the same file. The files have to be downloaded via USB mass storage.
Minimum is to just upload the GPX files onto OSNM for someone else to process. I usually process the files directly to mapped roads using the JOSM editor, without uploading the GPX.

Once in a while, I get a corrupt GPX file. This usually turns out to be because a bit of an earlier ride has been appended onto the end of the file, or even occasionally into the middle. Opening the GPX in internet explorer will tell you where the error is. A text editor that will handle many thousand lines and allow you to go to specific line numbers easily is handy for fixing the errors. I use WinVi.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #259 on: 20 March, 2009, 09:23:54 am »

The easy, online editor is accessed via the "Edit" tab.  Basically, you just draw over your traces (traces are pretty ragged, human drawing is much nicer).  The editor is called Potlatch and its docs are here: Potlatch - OpenStreetMap

The more hardcore editor I use is called JOSM - good for batch edits and tweaking (stuff like joining ways is easier in JOSM, and it has a load of presets).  JOSM's docs are here: JOSM - OpenStreetMap

Potlach an easy online editor? Pah. I have virtually never managed to do anything productive with it. JOSM all the way for me. I only use Potlach for minor edits such as annotation or adding in gates/barriers etc.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #260 on: 20 March, 2009, 09:29:49 am »
I haven't even looked at JOSM because Potlach seems fine to me.

How does JOSM deal with synchronisation issues?  ie, suppose 2 people are editing in the same town on the same day - I encountered this only 2 weeks ago ...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #261 on: 20 March, 2009, 09:53:42 am »
Dunno, never encountered it.  Either uploader 2 will overwrite uploader 1's changes, or you'll get a contention warning -- my money's on the low-brain version.  I generally only download and edit small areas just in case.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #262 on: 21 March, 2009, 11:20:06 pm »
The topo Munky map has been fixed and will be available for download from tomorrow morning - I'm just uploading it now.  Turned out to be some wrinkle in the various elements being stacked up.  As a side benefit, you can now turn each nation (or England-slice) off and on independently.  Thanks for letting me know it was broken!

(this week's tweaks will include kissing-gates and cattle grids)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #263 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:24:37 am »
Mapping rules:

1: It takes about as long to map an area as it does to ride it.  Bear this in mind when tackling five-hour pootle-a-thons.

2: The subway under the road on the bridge near the embankment alongside the river makes Baby Jesus cry.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #264 on: 25 March, 2009, 08:46:02 pm »
This week's update will be delayed as I just wrote an Evil Script (that's make_map.bat /evil) that deleted all my tools and scripts.  Of course there was no backup!   ::-)

There will be a new test when it all comes back though: a selectable layer with CCTV POI.   :demon:

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #265 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:28:21 pm »
Just thinking loudly:

Wouldn't it a good idea to use these maps to promote OSM during LEL? If more people from aboard learn about OSM, it just means that we get free maps when we go there... The easy way would be to ask melita to provide a link when she emails everybody.
Chief cat entertainer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #266 on: 26 March, 2009, 07:43:18 am »
Someone should recce the route and mark all the pub, cafe and B&B POI first :)

Right, that's this week's update uploaded.  No time to add more polish to the style or play with CCTV (there are only about 300 CTV points in England right now anyway, so it'd be a project to tag 'em all!).

« Reply #267 on: 26 March, 2009, 12:59:34 pm »
Just thinking loudly:

Wouldn't it a good idea to use these maps to promote OSM during LEL? If more people from aboard learn about OSM, it just means that we get free maps when we go there... The easy way would be to ask melita to provide a link when she emails everybody.

It's a very small target audience. 550 riders. You'd get far more people if you sent a single email to the Audax UK mailing list and also the Google 'randon' group.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #268 on: 26 March, 2009, 05:54:06 pm »
Just thinking loudly:

It's a very small target audience. 550 riders. You'd get far more people if you sent a single email to the Audax UK mailing list and also the Google 'randon' group.

Yes but potentially quite influential, as they will writeup about LEL afterward...

I was mainly thinking this because OSM around Bristol - Bath is good but useles in Brittany. Next time I go back home I will probably map where I grew up... but it would be quite nice that Europe as a whole gets to the english level. And obviously cyclists have a lot to contribute! Google map is just not cyclist friendly.
Chief cat entertainer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #269 on: 26 March, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »
Northern France generally is very sparse at present.  Brest looks very complete though - like many university towns - and I recently added the entire PBP route (or at least all those bits which weren't already mapped, which was about 50% of it).  I've probably added about 1800km in total in France during the last 2 months or so - nearly all very minor 'tertiary' cross-country roads which is a bit of a worry in the places where the parallel major routes haven't been mapped yet ...

Also added about 500km in S.India, which is a very interesting place because the OSM maps are already often much better than anything else available, online, electronic or even paper.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #270 on: 27 March, 2009, 03:40:07 pm »
Scotland will be quite sparse as well. I'm not sure that the entire LEL route is on OSM, and probably misses a number of features that would make it bombproof (like the side roads etc.)

It is still worth publicising as it does provide a free set of maps, and shouldn't be difficult to overlay your own data on it.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #271 on: 08 April, 2009, 08:44:20 pm »
This is a bad thread for bank balances. I've been following for a while and finally broke down at the weekend and ordered a Legend HCx, 2GB card and RAM mount. All here now and setup and it looks like it is going to be fab.

Andy - particular thanks for the OSM downloads. I've been a fan of OSM for a while (Exeter is so well mapped from a cyclists perspective - much better than Google) and having it all crammed into a tiny little device complete with topo is great. Of course, up to now I've only been able to do a bit of tagging in OSM. First day with gps saw a back-alley, a post-box and 3 bus-stops added thanks to a 2 minute walk to get used to the device. I'm now really looking forward to a trip to my sister and parents this weekend - both of who live in towns with minimal residential mapping thus far. A good chance to repay some of the karma!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #272 on: 08 April, 2009, 08:48:50 pm »
Ah! I've seen your edits on the map!  :)

« Reply #273 on: 14 April, 2009, 07:48:02 pm »
Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I can't get it working again   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(     

Can anybody help?

I am on a ubuntu machine, have sendmap20, have the img tile, have an old eTrex legend, have a USB to serial port adapter that can talk to the original serial lead. (I can download tracks from the GPS via this lead so I know it works.)

Last time I sent a map to the unit I used a windows 2000 box, with the command line
sendmap20 -tcom2 63272542.img -s57600
which worked fine from the cmd prompt to get the map onto the unit.

Now I'm at the terminal window on ubuntu, and am using the following command line
./sendmap20 -t/dev/ttyUSB0 -s57600  63272542.img
this returns the following output, no matter whether I use the -s option or not.
Detected          : eTrex Legend Software Version 2.39
Available memory  : 7 MB
Max number of maps: 525
Final map size    : 3 MB
Can't change the speed - trying to restore communication...
Cannot change speed, trying to use the default speed

How can I use this ubuntu box to dump the img tile onto the GPS unit?   As you can see from the memory available I can only use one tile, not big munky UK data  ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #274 on: 14 April, 2009, 07:58:11 pm »
Workaround if you can set the GPS to USB-storage mode: copy the tile across, then rename it GMAPSUPP.IMG :thumbsup:

(what Sendmap does is munge together the tiles you've picked as a GMAPSUPP.IMG file; if it's only one tile, you can do it by hand)