Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193827 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #275 on: 14 April, 2009, 07:59:55 pm »
No, no USB storage mode.   This is a seven year old unit back from the day when 'all you needed' was a copy of mapsource.

I've tried renaming the tile to GMAPSUPP.IMG too - still won't go.   I think it's the speed I need to organise.

(Last time, on Win2000, it failed the first time and only worked after I added the -s option with relevant speed)

inc

« Reply #276 on: 15 April, 2009, 12:03:06 pm »
Qlandkarte is meant to be a direct Linux replacement for Mapsource, I have it running on Debian it works fine with .img maps and it talks to my Garmin but looking at their website it has been superseded  with Qlandkarte ql which looks like it needs to be built with no binaries available (from that site anyway)   I did find this though for the old version    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qlandkarte  maybe worth a try.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #277 on: 15 April, 2009, 07:06:20 pm »
I think it is all explained there:

GpsPasSion Forums - Run a Garmin Gps under Linux
Chief cat entertainer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #278 on: 16 April, 2009, 02:32:14 pm »
Note: There's downtime for OSM edits this weekend as they do some techno-wizardry.

OSM Protocol Version 0.6/Information - OpenStreetMap

The readable parts of the project - slippy map, extracts and so on - are not affected.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #279 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:49:41 am »
OSM's got some projects sponsored in the Google Summer of Code.  One that's particularly interesting to cyclists is a preprocessor to munge OSM ways and SRTM altitude data, which would make subsequent processing involving heights much easier.  The map could sprout automatic chevrons, and wayfinding could include "avoid steep hills" or "flattest route" options, and visualization could become 3-D.   :thumbsup:

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #280 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:57:31 am »
OSM's got some projects sponsored in the Google Summer of Code.  One that's particularly interesting to cyclists is a preprocessor to munge OSM ways and SRTM altitude data, which would make subsequent processing involving heights much easier.  The map could sprout automatic chevrons, and wayfinding could include "avoid steep hills" or "flattest route" options, and visualization could become 3-D.   :thumbsup:

Not sure what it is based on, but Dundee council has a bicycle route finder with  a 'choose flattest route' option.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #281 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:49:49 am »
Aye, people have been doing it piecemeal, and It Is Good.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #282 on: 21 April, 2009, 10:19:29 am »
Well it certainly isn't OSM. Because I put a lot of the paths into OSM and they were in the Dundee thingy before that.

Just waiting for the DB to come back on line so I can add in Sunday's route finding. I have about four miles left of u/c road to finish the next 'block and then everything between the A94/A923/A90 is in OSM.
The rides will then have to get longer and I might even head into the badlands to the east of the A90.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #283 on: 22 April, 2009, 07:41:57 pm »
Andy - would you consider making your toolchain/source material available in the OSM subversion repository? It'd be great to be able to have a play around with it. (Tom Hughes gives out SVN access - see Accounts - OpenStreetMap )
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #284 on: 23 April, 2009, 08:49:13 am »
Er, they're not *that* spiffy - a batch file to run wget to get the OSM data; another one to split it so my aged lappy can cope; another one to run mkgmap with my style and settings; and a wrapper to call them in sequence.

There were a sendmap one which built the big IMG and an upload one too, but I had a fat-finger moment a couple of weeks ago and deleted the whole damn lot!  ::-)

I can stick a zip of them up in the \tools subfolder if you really think they're interesting...

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #285 on: 23 April, 2009, 10:44:12 am »
Would be handy even so - especially the mkgmap style/settings which would be a great starting point for alternative 'renderings'.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #286 on: 25 April, 2009, 10:43:04 am »
I'll polish 'em (get the rude words out of the REMs) and stick them up over the weekend.

This week's update includes changes:

* Kissing gates now appear.
* Fords now appear (at the request of a nutter from wetroads.co.uk who likes them!).
* Bike lanes and power lines have been restyled (feedback pls).

« Reply #287 on: 25 April, 2009, 12:47:07 pm »
Where do you get the tiles from Andy?

My own readme.txt that I'd built up says the computerteddy site (http://osm.ammit.de/osm/latest/img) but I've just noticed that the last modified date on those is 25th Feb 09  :-\

(I've only got an old etrex at the moment, so only want the basic Southend tile

« Reply #288 on: 25 April, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »
Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I can't get it working again   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(     

Can anybody help?

I am on a ubuntu machine, have sendmap20, have the img tile, have an old eTrex legend, have a USB to serial port adapter that can talk to the original serial lead. (I can download tracks from the GPS via this lead so I know it works.)

Last time I sent a map to the unit I used a windows 2000 box, with the command line
sendmap20 -tcom2 63272542.img -s57600
which worked fine from the cmd prompt to get the map onto the unit.

Now I'm at the terminal window on ubuntu, and am using the following command line
./sendmap20 -t/dev/ttyUSB0 -s57600  63272542.img
this returns the following output, no matter whether I use the -s option or not.
Detected          : eTrex Legend Software Version 2.39
Available memory  : 7 MB
Max number of maps: 525
Final map size    : 3 MB
Can't change the speed - trying to restore communication...
Cannot change speed, trying to use the default speed

How can I use this ubuntu box to dump the img tile onto the GPS unit?   As you can see from the memory available I can only use one tile, not big munky UK data  ;D

This is now half sorted out.

I tried
Code: [Select]
/bin/stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 57600

Which changed the speed but didn't resolve the issue.

Then I found /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and #'d out the line for gamin-gps.

sendmap20 now transfers the data...    but the GPS just sits there saying "transferring data" and never actually gets around to completing, even though I've used the -o option to restart GPS when completed.  :'(   

Any ideas?

inc

« Reply #289 on: 25 April, 2009, 02:54:43 pm »
The blacklisting is to prevent the ( inconsistent) garmin kernel module loading so the gpsbabel usb code is used instead, without an application installed providing that code I can't see how you can get a usb connection. If it was installed then you would use usb not the serial emulator ttyUSB0  but who knows what a Windows version of sendmap is using I don't know how it would connect to your Garmin via usb on a Linux system.I would think you probably would have more luck either using Windows or a native Linux application that knows where to find the usb. As far as I am aware there is no Linux control line command that will send a .img file to a Garmin. Gpsbabel specifically excludes maps but the application I suggested earlier in this thread should upload a .img file to your Garmin.

« Reply #290 on: 25 April, 2009, 03:15:14 pm »
I think that my problem is that I don't have a USB lead for the device, just a serial one.  I bought a USB -> Serial adapter (upthread) and this is fine for sucking stuff off the device via gpsbabel, but sendmap20 (not certain if it's a windows app if I'm running it on ubuntu???) can't send to the device as the speed is wrong, and it can't adjust the speed.

Having changed the blacklisting the speed can be changed.

inc

« Reply #291 on: 25 April, 2009, 04:16:35 pm »
I am confused now, but that is easily done,  ::-) I thought you have a Garmin.img file you are trying to load onto your unit. If you use QLandKarte it has drivers for various units including the eTrex Legend so you could try that via the serial port,  with your serial lead, the port can be chosen  in the setup page or maybe first try your usb-serial lead  which it should detect automatically as it uses the same code as Gpsbabel.  QLandkarte will also upload/download your tracks etc from your Garmin. Sendmap has both Windows and Linux versions but is a closed source binary blob I would not install anyway.

« Reply #292 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:22:12 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have :-
- Garmin eTrex Legend
- original SERIAL cable
- laptop with no serial port
- USB serial port
- qlandkarte
- gpsbabel
- sendmap20 (which I thought was the ubuntu version)

Although I've told qlandkarte I have a Legend, it can't see it, whether on default tty0 or ttyUSB0.

gpsbabel can get tracks in gpx format with the following command "gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F file.gpx "

If I tried sendmap20 it gave the following error
Detected          : eTrex Legend Software Version 2.39
Available memory  : 7 MB
Max number of maps: 525
Final map size    : 3 MB
Can't change the speed - trying to restore communication...
Cannot change speed, trying to use the default speed
so it can definitely see the unit as it's returning data, but it can't send the map to it.

When I tried using the windows version of sendmap20 on a windows box WITH a serial port and original cable, it only works when I add the -s switch to change the speed down to 57600.   I don't seem to be able to change the speed when using ubuntu.

inc

« Reply #293 on: 25 April, 2009, 08:03:14 pm »
Things are a little clearer now. Firstly you were using the garmin kernel module with gpsbabel "gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F file.gpx " The gpsbabel code should use "usb" instead of " /dev/ttyUSB0" I think the reason sendmap can't change the speed is because it doesn't have root privileges, you can change the speed on that port as root, have a look at man tty . Glandkarte won't see your unit on any of the ports you have said, you could just try "usb" in the port box but I don't think that will work as it should bypass any serial ports if it detects a usb connection. Failing that you could remove the garmin module from the black list reboot to load it then use /dev/ttyUSB0 in the port box in setup in glandkarte and select the the garmin driver for your unit and try again.

good luck

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #294 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:58:28 am »
Where do you get the tiles from Andy?

I whittle them myself.

The raw OSM data comes from Geofabrik.de, where there are daily extracts from the database.

I then run mkgmap, which converts the OSM data into Garmin IMG tiles. 

There are two levels of styling that I apply to this: the first is an mkgmap "style" which determines which data items get onto the Garmin map (for example the point "highway=ford" or "barrier=kissing_gate").  The style uses either Garmin's default IDs to get Garmin default icons and colours, or unused IDs off the end of the standard list for custom stuff like the fords.

The second level is a TYP-file which contains the actual colours and icons.  Use this site to edit them: Editor for Garmin TYP files The TYP-file has to be included along with the tiles in sendmap to get the full glory.

Ooh, I oughta include it in the tile distribution from now on!  *facepalm*

« Reply #295 on: 26 April, 2009, 11:28:16 am »
ok, it's early in the morning and I haven't woken up yet...

any chance of some basic instructions on how to do that  ;D ;D

« Reply #296 on: 26 April, 2009, 01:44:27 pm »
Well I've downloaded england.osm from that site, and found mkgmap

The mkgmap readme says
It is usual to split Garmin maps up into smaller tiles.  This is because
older GPS units (before large SD cards were cheap) had a limited amount of memory
for maps, and secondly because there are limits within the map format
itself.
but doesn't seem to give the information on how to cut out just a <8mb chunk of the data for my area :-\

I tried mkgmap on england.osm, but it borked with
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
   at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:1240)
   at java.lang.Double.parseDouble(Double.java:527)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.xml.Osm5XmlHandler.addNode(Osm5XmlHandler.java:435)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.xml.Osm5XmlHandler.startElement(Osm5XmlHandler.java:131)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:504)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(AbstractXMLDocumentParser.java:182)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.xinclude.XIncludeHandler.emptyElement(XIncludeHandler.java:981)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:353)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2723)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:624)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:116)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:486)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:810)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:740)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:110)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1208)
   at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:525)
   at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:392)
   at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:195)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.reader.osm.xml.Osm5MapDataSource.load(Osm5MapDataSource.java:80)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.MapMaker.loadFromFile(MapMaker.java:137)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.MapMaker.makeMap(MapMaker.java:53)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.processFilename(Main.java:150)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgs$Filename.processArg(CommandArgs.java:340)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgs.readArgs(CommandArgs.java:119)
   at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.main(Main.java:91)

« Reply #297 on: 26 April, 2009, 02:09:16 pm »
bingo - now found I can get a specific area, same as with josm

Code: [Select]
curl -L "http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/map?bbox=0.4,51.5,0.8,51.6" -o southend.osm
and use this as the basis for mkgmap.

inc

« Reply #298 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:36:26 am »
You can select OSM  tiles here Coordinate-To-OSM-Tile

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #299 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:24:28 am »
Yes but that's an index for the computerteddy tiles and, as was mentioned upthread, they're looking a bit old at present.  Is there another way to use that index?
Not that I'm really surprised or complaining - its a massive amount of material to maintain on a regular basis.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll