Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193864 times)

inc

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #300 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:55:33 am »
Yes but that's an index for the computerteddy tiles and, as was mentioned upthread, they're looking a bit old at present.  on a regular basis.

I misunderstood then, I  thought they gave the co-ordinates for the selected area to download the current data from OSM servers.

« Reply #301 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:03:57 am »
They just give a file name for a .img file.   Not the actual area.   The only place to download the .img file with that name is the computerteddy site.

I guess he's used mkgmap to generate them as that gives a numerically named output .img file.    Either it's an automated script that has failed, or he's grown tired of generating a huge amount of data on a weekly basis (which I can understand!)

Craig

« Reply #302 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:22:32 am »
It looks like Computerteddy's site here has the latest .img tiles (updated 23 April): http://openstreetmap.teddynetz.de:81/latest/img/
Its just the mirror (osm.ammit.de) hasn't been updated for a while.

Or for OSM in Garmin format, I can recommend this website by Lambertus: Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap
Pick the tiles you want, and it will send you a link to download the combined gmapsupp.img file, or a MapSource installer. And these maps support autorouting (ComputerTeddy's map tiles don't).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #303 on: 27 April, 2009, 01:45:21 pm »
It looks like Computerteddy's site here has the latest .img tiles (updated 23 April): http://openstreetmap.teddynetz.de:81/latest/img/

Good spot!  Thanks.
This page is much quicker to navigate than the other one as well.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #304 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:15:08 pm »
Had some fun at the weekend.  I was Clerk of the Course at a race meeting at Kirkistown on Saturday and during a couple of laps of the track for a Stewards inspection I was recording the run on my Blackberry with Sanoodi.  So now if you look near Portavogie you'll find a racing circuit.  ;D
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #305 on: 28 April, 2009, 01:34:28 am »
ok, a few questions for the experts  ;D

Until now I had been..

uploading GPX, clicking edit, clicking convert to (locked) track, then laboriously selecting points, cutting and merging and building up a road system from there.

I realised a while ago that although I was using the points as recorded by GPS, in the change history it just showed as "created by potlatch".

So, I'm now just clicking "edit map" then "show GPS traces" and creating my own roads over the top of the blue lines.  It's so much faster  :thumbsup:    Is this acceptable?  (Question 1)

I've noticed that my current GPS traces are on view, along with others, but the old traces I'd been deleting as part of converting them to ways are not on view.  The uploads are still there on my profile page.  Is this ok, a result of the recent server upgrade, or am I now leaving clutter?  (Question 2)

If you have a short footpath, blocked at either end with anti-horse overlapping barriers, how do you label these obstructions?    (Question 3).

« Reply #306 on: 28 April, 2009, 02:58:05 am »

What exactly is an anti-horse barrier, what does it look like? I'd say something with Key:barrier - OpenStreetMap
Maybe barrier=gate or barrier=bollard, or barrier=cycle_barrier if its a sort of chicane thing? Plus the appropriate access tags, ie foot=yes, horse=no, bicycle=no?

offset "sheffield stands", pretty clearly shown with the photo on "cycle_barrier" on your link  ::-)

« Reply #307 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:06:41 am »
well I've added

barrier=cycle_barrier
access=no                                                       ( ; None shall pass )
foot=yes                                                          (; except pedestrians)

as per that site, but I'm intrigued that none of the usual pop up pre-filled versions were available  :-\

I've been adding "su" then selecting "surface" all night (a fair few unpaved roads), so was expecting to see "barrier" available after typing "ba"

(it'll be near here whenever they re-render my updates -> link)

a_grumpy_old_man

« Reply #308 on: 28 April, 2009, 08:47:05 am »
Can anyone help please? I've been trying to download the OSM cycle and OSM canal maps from the Mapomatic website, but I just keep getting an "internal server error" message. I have tried to contact them by email and phone but have had no reply. Does anyone here have a copy of them that they can email over to me please?

Thanks

Grumpy

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #309 on: 28 April, 2009, 09:46:53 am »
They're a Proper Company so their site ought to be back up soonish!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

a_grumpy_old_man

« Reply #310 on: 28 April, 2009, 09:48:44 am »
They're a Proper Company so their site ought to be back up soonish!

The site's ok - it's just the download page  :(

Grumpy

a_grumpy_old_man

« Reply #311 on: 28 April, 2009, 03:46:25 pm »
Just tried again and it's working now!

Grumpy

« Reply #312 on: 28 April, 2009, 04:03:54 pm »
Excellent.  (It's just a shame they don't seem to have been updated since January?)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #313 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:27:44 am »
So, I'm now just clicking "edit map" then "show GPS traces" and creating my own roads over the top of the blue lines.  It's so much faster  :thumbsup:    Is this acceptable?  (Question 1)

Yes, that's fine. In fact I think that's the best / recommended way.
And its not clutter to leave old traces - if you have lots of traces for the same road, you can take an average of them to draw the road more accurately. Plus it proves you were actually there, and didn't just copy the roads off a map etc.

Well - tracks are too easy to manufacture, or acquire from other sources, for it to be any kind of 'proof'.
I only leave tracks lying around if there's an area of conflict that the track might help to resolve at some future point. 
For example - I lay down a new section of road that runs alongside a railway for some distance, without ever crossing it.  The railway has been previously mapped, but (as I see it) not sufficiently accurately so that now the two lines cross and recross.  In this situation I first try to remember the road, and was it tree-lined etc - ie do I think the GPS trace is reliable.  If I feel sure the GPS is OK, then I don't see much alternative but to adjust the line of the existing map feature - which I would really rather not do.  So I mark the road I've added as 'Source=GPS' and leave the track up as well.

Unlike Nutty, I find the 'convert to locked track' method to be much faster - for the kind of roads I've been adding, which tend to be linear routes, rather than a network of sidestreets. 
However the conversion process does downsample - the red locked track has far fewer points in it than the underlying blue trace, even though I limit each uploaded track fragment to 200 points or fewer.  I notice the render seems to apply some smoothing anyway, so I don't suppose it makes much difference in the end.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #314 on: 29 April, 2009, 11:22:40 am »
I think the issue I've had with convert track to locked ways is that my area wasn't mapped at all, so each gps trace is around 20 miles long as I meandered up and down each side road.

One road that's half a mile long will therefore need the track cut at each side turning, stitching the short sections back together, then labelling and excess points removed etc.

I can't get josm working at all (the preference screens don't even fit in the friggin window ffs), so I stick to potlatch.  Trouble is potlatch does freeze sometimes, at which point I lose out the ability to carry on, so have to start again, fortunately without having to redo all previously completed ways.   The advantage to potlatch is I can use it from work while stuck on a conference call  ;D

Just marking new ways in potlatch over the top of displayed GPS traces is so much quicker, as I don't have to rely on stitching together the fragmented ways but can instead just create a new way with minimal points to keep it over the GPS trace.

I've also only got the main roads here, as imported from the NQE map.  I'll often add a point to them to make them more accurate.

« Reply #315 on: 29 April, 2009, 02:35:45 pm »
<sigh>

Me again :(

I've now replaced my old GPS with a Garmin Edge 605.

When I plug the USB into my ubuntu machine the window pops open showing the files on it (so it is talking).  The old line of
Code: [Select]
gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F file.gpxwon't work because /dev/ttyUSB0 doesn't exist.

I believe that the following should work,
gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F file.gpxBut I get the response of
usb_set_configuration failed, probably because kernel driver ''
 is blocking our access to the USB device.
For more information see Fixing USB permissions for Garmins in GPSBabel.

That site says, to start with, "By default, only root can access the USB devices directly as we do for the 'usb:' case."

Therefore I tried
sudo gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F file.gpxBut I then got the response of
usb_set_configuration failed, probably because kernel driver 'usb-storage'
For more information see Fixing USB permissions for Garmins in GPSBabel.

So I then made the changes as advised on the website, but to no avail.   :(    I have also tried unmounting the device, no better.

Has anybody got the instructions for getting the gpx off of a Garmin Edge 605 onto a ubuntu box?

« Reply #316 on: 29 April, 2009, 02:46:05 pm »
It appear as a differently named psuedo tty device:-

dmesg | grep -i usb

(You might need to do this under sudo)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #317 on: 29 April, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »
From the output, any idea what it might be?  I've tried some but just keep getting "Cannot open... no such file or directory"  :-\

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #318 on: 29 April, 2009, 03:06:40 pm »
From the output, any idea what it might be?  I've tried some but just keep getting "Cannot open... no such file or directory"  :-\

No, it doesn't look like it's added any new pseudo tty devices.

I'd try posting/searching on the motionbased forums...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #319 on: 29 April, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »
what does 'ls /dev | grep -i usb' give?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #320 on: 29 April, 2009, 03:20:16 pm »

And:

find /proc | grep -i usb

« Reply #321 on: 29 April, 2009, 03:32:51 pm »
The stuffs in bold is what appears after the device is plugged in.

(click to show/hide)

find /proc | grep -i usb

(click to show/hide)

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #322 on: 29 April, 2009, 04:14:14 pm »
However the conversion process does downsample - the red locked track has far fewer points in it than the underlying blue trace, even though I limit each uploaded track fragment to 200 points or fewer.
There's one of those hidden little keypresses for that - if you hold Shift when clicking 'Track', it'll apply less downsampling.

If you're interested, what it's doing behind the scenes is a process called Douglas-Peucker simplification, which removes trackpoints on straight lines but keeps them at corners.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

inc

« Reply #323 on: 29 April, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »
<sigh>

usb_set_configuration failed, probably because kernel driver ''

Have you rebooted since you added the garmin driver to the blacklist, that just prevents it loading at boot time

« Reply #324 on: 29 April, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »
inc - yes I rebooted.

but I'm now doubting whether I did the blacklist line as well as the others  :-\    and that's my "playpen" box at work, so I shall now have to repeat the processes on the home machine  ;D ;D  whoops

BRB