Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193774 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #325 on: 29 April, 2009, 06:30:32 pm »
However the conversion process does downsample - the red locked track has far fewer points in it than the underlying blue trace, even though I limit each uploaded track fragment to 200 points or fewer.
There's one of those hidden little keypresses for that - if you hold Shift when clicking 'Track', it'll apply less downsampling.

Thanks for the tip-off!

If you're interested, what it's doing behind the scenes is a process called Douglas-Peucker simplification, which removes trackpoints on straight lines but keeps them at corners.

Oh yes, definitely interested.  Thanks.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #326 on: 29 April, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »
Trouble is potlatch does freeze sometimes, at which point I lose out the ability to carry on,

Yes I've been getting that too, since the upgrade.  Its as though something runs out of resources - it helps (a bit) to log out and log back in again, but that's assuming the logout link still works, the 'freeze' usually affects that as well.  Best to stick to short sessions I find.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #327 on: 29 April, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »
I've now replaced my old GPS with a Garmin Edge 605.

When I plug the USB into my ubuntu machine the window pops open showing the files on it (so it is talking). 

Has anybody got the instructions for getting the gpx off of a Garmin Edge 605 onto a ubuntu box?
I don't have an Edge, but doesn't it just work as a USB mass storage device, with the recorded tracklogs saved somewhere on the drive?
Either in the internal memory or on the microSD card. Possibly in the Garmin\History directory.

I think they might be in TCX format, but GPSBabel should convert them to GPX.

yes there is a tcx file.

gpsbabel help -> linky

try it
Code: [Select]
nutty@nutty-laptop:~/Documents/Mapping$ ls *.tcx
2009-04-29-16-24-13.tcx
nutty@nutty-laptop:~/Documents/Mapping$ gpsbabel -t -i gtrnctr -f 2009-04-29-16-24-13.tcx -o gpx -F 090429.gpx
gtc: this format does not support reading.

:-\ >:( :-\ >:(

« Reply #328 on: 29 April, 2009, 06:48:20 pm »
inc - yes I rebooted.

but I'm now doubting whether I did the blacklist line as well as the others  :-\    and that's my "playpen" box at work, so I shall now have to repeat the processes on the home machine  ;D ;D  whoops

BRB

Yes, I have now followed all the instructions, tried both the options shown for 51-garmin.rules, both with and without the garmin driver blacklisted.

Still no joy.

inc

« Reply #329 on: 29 April, 2009, 08:14:08 pm »
I have just looked at my udev rules and they are slightly different to the gpsbabel site. I have group="plugdev" added.

SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0660", group="plugdev"

« Reply #330 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

What version of GPSBabel are you using? I think support for reading tcx files was added in the latest one (version 1.3.6): GPSBabel 1.3.6: free software to convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
Or you could try this online converter: GPS Visualizer: Convert GPS files to plain text or GPX

According to package manager on this ubuntu machine I'm on version 1.3.5 - which is the latest available.

Thanks for the link - it worked  :thumbsup:  (Assuming my edited file will upload to openstreetmap in a minute)

« Reply #331 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »
I have just looked at my udev rules and they are slightly different to the gpsbabel site. I have group="plugdev" added.

SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0660", group="plugdev"

tried that, and rebooted.    Still no further forward :(

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #332 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:57:43 am »
Are you sure the edge 605 does garmin communications protocol?

Ubuntu appears to be saying it fits the mass storage driver.  The garmin edge 605 manual I just looked at online only mentions a mass storage mode.  The 'garmin' protocol page in the gpsbabel docs* doesn't mention the edge 605, but does have a list of recent garmin devices for which it says:

The following Garmin GPS receivers are supported, but they do not support Garmin communication protocol and don't work with the garmin option. To use these receivers, read or write GPX files from the mass storage device as mounted on your computer.

Have you tried poking around on the drive when it's mounted?  (I don't have one of these things, so I'm guessing here) [edit - I see you're already done this, I just didn't read the thread properly]

* http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin.html

« Reply #333 on: 01 May, 2009, 12:43:44 pm »
ok, I'm pretty much there now I think.

I've downloaded the 1.3.6 version of gps babel to the windows machine, and this seems to be converting the tcx file ok from the command line (can't find it in the gui).

I can see 1.3.6 for "linux" but am not certain how to install a rpm package to ubuntu (I'm still a newbie).   I guess I'll just have to wait for the repositories to be updated from 1.3.5

« Reply #334 on: 01 May, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »
I can see 1.3.6 for "linux" but am not certain how to install a rpm package to ubuntu (I'm still a newbie).   I guess I'll just have to wait for the repositories to be updated from 1.3.5

I usually convert rpms to .tar.gz or something else.

mkdir blah_files
cd blah_files

rpm2tgz blah.rpm | tar -xvzf -

or:

rpm2cpio blah.rpm | cpio -ivcdBum

(I know half of those options for cpio are unnecessary, but that's ingrained in my memory after unpacking the Solaris x86 patch set that was in one cpio archive split across 8 floppies...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

inc

« Reply #335 on: 01 May, 2009, 01:52:40 pm »

1.3.6-3 seems to be in some Ubuntu reps already

Ubuntu -- Package Search Results -- gpsbabel

« Reply #336 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:06:18 pm »

1.3.6-3 seems to be in some Ubuntu reps already

Ubuntu -- Package Search Results -- gpsbabel

I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 'cos I thought that was the stable long term release.  I think that's the "intrepid" version (why can't they just use numbers?) and for that version the linked site shows 1.3.5 only, not 1.3.6 :(

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #337 on: 02 May, 2009, 12:08:50 pm »
Nutty using Linux?  You'll be buying a little gîte in the Dordogne next.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pilsbury

« Reply #338 on: 04 May, 2009, 11:32:02 pm »
I've downloaded Andy's OSM - Garmin - Munky map, and simply dragged the file into the internal memory of my edge 705. I very much like a)the UK-specific road colouring, b)it's free.
I have 2 problems.
1. My edge seems to crash and shut down when using the map - especially if I zoom out. Have I just run out of memory?
2. Can't seem to be able to import the map into Mapsource, so I can make routes. Mapsource tells me there is no map on the gps device.

ANy suggestions?

Thank you

« Reply #339 on: 04 May, 2009, 11:45:53 pm »
I put Andy's map onto my Edge 605 this morning, so I doubt you have insufficient memory.

Having ridden the local area with it I am a huge fan of the munky map - I just need to ride more to get the area mapped :D

You won't be able to import this to mapsouce as I understand it.  Use the mapsource original maps for routing planning.   I just made up a route for next week's Audax in mapsource, and it transferred to the unit ok.  I intend riding that with the MunkyMap, although thanks to a memory card I have both the MonkeyMap and Mapsource Map installed on the device and can choose which one to display whilst out on the road.

« Reply #340 on: 05 May, 2009, 07:35:02 am »
Are you using a micro SD card or the actual built in memory?   A 2gb card is cheap these days and will fit the complete rather excellent Munky Map and leave bags of space for saving routes.

I haven't managed to get Munky Map into Mapsource yet but I suspect that it's because I'm incompetent  ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #341 on: 05 May, 2009, 09:59:13 am »
The monolithic Munkymap won't go, but try the tiles - the tiles file contains overview and TDBs for each country. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #342 on: 05 May, 2009, 10:40:49 am »
Are you using a micro SD card or the actual built in memory?   A 2gb card is cheap these days and will fit the complete rather excellent Munky Map and leave bags of space for saving routes.

I haven't managed to get Munky Map into Mapsource yet but I suspect that it's because I'm incompetent  ;D

That's expensive  ;D ;D

I only paid £3.59 and that includes an adapter so the micro SD card will fit in the normal SD slot of the laptop for speedier file transfer  :thumbsup:

« Reply #343 on: 05 May, 2009, 01:35:46 pm »
The monolithic Munkymap won't go, but try the tiles - the tiles file contains overview and TDBs for each country. 

Ah, I see.   thanks for the explanation.

I just download the monolith and once unzipped bung it straight into my GPS.   

Must find time to tinker...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #344 on: 05 May, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »
I just download the monolith and once unzipped bung it straight into my GPS.   

Aye - my Mapsource has been broken ever since the Ark ran ashore, so I gave up on it. Toxic registry settings or something.  Anyhoo, it's not needed...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #345 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »
New question for all you mappers  :)

How do you mark up a shared use, or dedicated, cycletrack that runs alongside the road?

Do you just add the cycletrack tag to the road, or would this imply a cycle lane?  Do you plot a new way alongside the existing road and apply the cycletrack tag to that?  If it's a separate way then does it need to share a point with the road where it starts/ends so that routing will work?

The reason for the question is because of this post I just made - YACRP (yet another cycle route planner)

Yes I have looked in the wiki, but don't seem to find anything :-\

« Reply #346 on: 12 May, 2009, 11:44:49 pm »
Thanks for that, don't know why I couldn't find anything.  (I'd searched 'cycle track', 'cycle path' etc and just kept getting "no page found, would you like to create one?")

I've added the 'cycleway=track' to the existing NCN16 as it is only separated by a kerbstone.   Let's see what happens in a few days re the propagation down through the various layers, and if the cycle routing maps start working.   If so I'll add some of the other paths, which are further from the carriageway, as dedicated ways.

« Reply #347 on: 13 May, 2009, 12:49:03 am »
Just to add, I think its generally better to draw cycle tracks as separate ways, even if they are pretty close to the road. Because it means you can add tags for surface and foot=yes etc, and you can actually see what side of the roads its on.

Also for NCN routes, its recommended that you add them to a relation as well/instead of the ncn_ref tag. It looks like there isn't a relation for NCN16 yet, so you'd have to create one.

ok, well that was going to be one of my other questions - which you've now answered.  i.e how far does a path need to be before it's a new way.  e.g. this path southend dedicated path

What do you mean by "relation"?  How do I create that?  (This is my first foray into Southend's stuff, which I think may have been just done from a satellite image)

« Reply #348 on: 13 May, 2009, 12:51:33 am »
Another question.

OpenStreetMap

This underpass has cyclists prohibited, but the cyclestreets site routed me via it.   How do I mark it appropriately?  (cyclists need to take the slip road, roundabout, slip road)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #349 on: 13 May, 2009, 12:54:33 am »
Another question.

OpenStreetMap

This underpass has cyclists prohibited, but the cyclestreets site routed me via it.   How do I mark it appropriately?  (cyclists need to take the slip road, roundabout, slip road)

bicycle=no?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes