Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193831 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #375 on: 03 June, 2009, 10:04:43 am »
First look at Andy's map is indeed very impressive.
A big thank you to Andy for his (continuing) hard work in making OSM so accessible to noobs like me - and his quick replies to what must seem like simple questions.    Now where's that applause icon?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #376 on: 03 June, 2009, 10:45:33 am »
*takes a bow* 

I really only do it so that I have a lovely map of my own.  It's no toughie to stick it online to share :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #377 on: 05 June, 2009, 08:11:13 am »
This week's update is up.  No changes apart from freshness. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Done something silly ! - Help
« Reply #378 on: 09 June, 2009, 03:29:31 pm »
Went out mapping today....
Didn't record the track to the data card on my Legend HCx.   Seem to have recorded it to some "internal" memory which is accessible only on the device and to Mapsource - but not to any external programs.

Any ideas how I can retrieve it?

Re: Done something silly ! - Help was Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #379 on: 09 June, 2009, 03:30:48 pm »
Guess here but...
Since Mapsource can see it can it also save as?

« Reply #380 on: 09 June, 2009, 03:42:23 pm »
If there is a Save As optiion on MapSource that will save an individual track - I've yet to find it.

Craig

« Reply #381 on: 09 June, 2009, 05:55:21 pm »
For the eTrexes, I think the option to log the track to the data card is turned off as default. Its worth making sure its switched on:
on menu-> Tracks-> Setup -> Data card setup

If there is a Save As optiion on MapSource that will save an individual track - I've yet to find it.
Delete all of the other tracks/waypoints etc in MapSource, then do File -> Save as, and you can save the individual track to a GPX file.
Or right click on the track, then copy, then do File -> New, and paste in the individual track. Then Save as to a file.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

« Reply #383 on: 11 June, 2009, 11:04:14 am »
Delete all of the other tracks/waypoints etc in MapSource, then do File -> Save as, and you can save the individual track to a GPX file.
Or right click on the track, then copy, then do File -> New, and paste in the individual track. Then Save as to a file.
Both of these just crash Mapsource as soon as I Save As (with GPX file type)
Also tried selecting the track in Mapsource, switching the Garmin to Mass Storage Mode and transfering it back to the device...  Mapsource crashed again.

Ah well, it's a nice day, I should go for a run at lunchtime anyway, so it's off round same circuit with the beast set to log the track to the data card this time.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #384 on: 11 June, 2009, 01:57:42 pm »

Well that's not normal Mapsource behaviour, believe it or not.

If you haven't already, try updating (or possibly down-dating) your Mapsource to v6.13, just maybe that will cure it.
Easier than doing a full uninstall/reinstall.

File is on the Garmin site at
http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe
just download it and run it, to do the upgrade.  Copy your existing installed Mapsource.exe file to another directory first, for safety, because this update will simply replace that file.
NB this version number has nothing to do with whatever map version you have installed (v8 or whatever) - is is just the version for the 'wrapper' Mapsource program.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #385 on: 12 June, 2009, 08:53:39 am »
My Mapsource version is 6.15.6

I'll try going back to 6.13 as you suggest.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #386 on: 05 July, 2009, 03:46:20 pm »
Inspired by Andy's work, I've just done a version which highlights National Cycle Network routes in a similar style to OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map.

More here: OpenStreetMap | Users' diaries | Richard
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #387 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:46:07 pm »
Oh, I like what you've done with the highway boxes.  Very noice!  I'll have to pick over that when I get back from hols.

I'm just removing rendering for political boundaries after discovering that there are roads (such as Brompton Road in Kensington) that are also boundaries, they only get rendered once, and the routing goes a touch bonkers.  Plus some -ahem- typos in my lines file which rather poisoned last week's build.   :-[

« Reply #388 on: 04 August, 2009, 01:02:15 pm »
* Tidied up roundabout rendering.  There was some fugliness and now there is not; roundabouts are properly drawn in the style of their road. 

Hi Andy

I tried doing this to my own OSM maps a while back, but I came across a side effect that you may or may not be aware of. (Applies to the 705 and maybe other units aswell). If you follow a GPX track/route on the 705 unit, you'll no longer get meaningful turn directions at roundabouts. You'll only get left and rights or left-right-left for 2nd exit. I assume this is because the unit only knows about a roundabout if it's been coded as 0x0c.

Have you seen this behaviour?

I think you could get around this by creating a 'presentation layer' containing your preferred colours using non-routable garmin line codes (e.g. 0x29 power line) and a hidden 'routing layer' using the correct routable garmin codes, including 0x0c for a roundabout. I didn't bother and returned my roundabouts to 0x0c and lived with the 'fugliness'.

Shaun

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #389 on: 04 August, 2009, 01:36:25 pm »
Hm, could be - I've noticed that it sometimes says it and sometimes doesn't, but I hadn't pegged quite why.  Will investigate once I get back from les Alpes. 

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #390 on: 04 August, 2009, 03:55:20 pm »
Probably because OSM contributors sometimes tag them as roundabouts and sometimes just draw multi-point 1-way circular roads.

« Reply #391 on: 04 August, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »
Probably because OSM contributors sometimes tag them as roundabouts and sometimes just draw multi-point 1-way circular roads.

Hm, could be - I've noticed that it sometimes says it and sometimes doesn't... 

In my testing, any way tagged as junction=roundabout seemed to produce this behaviour when using mkgmap and not encoding it as 0x0c.

« Reply #392 on: 06 August, 2009, 01:04:06 pm »

If you haven't already, try updating (or possibly down-dating) your Mapsource to v6.13, just maybe that will cure it.
Easier than doing a full uninstall/reinstall.

File is on the Garmin site at
http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe
just download it and run it, to do the upgrade.  Copy your existing installed Mapsource.exe file to another directory first, for safety, because this update will simply replace that file.
NB this version number has nothing to do with whatever map version you have installed (v8 or whatever) - is is just the version for the 'wrapper' Mapsource program.

Hey FF
Seems that IS quite usual behaviour in 6.15.6 after all.

I was researching my other problem (which Andy G has correctly diagnosed as being down to the Space Goblins)

And I found this
MapSource unable to save GPX - Groundspeak Forums

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #393 on: 06 August, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »

Hey FF
Seems that IS quite usual behaviour in 6.15.6 after all.

Yes, you were right - I can reproduce the problem on my own system.  But I have 6.13 installed in parallel so I hadn't noticed it. 
(I thought I'd put a reply in somewhere referencing the Groundspeak thread, a while back.  Maybe not.)

Solution seems to be to downgrade to a slightly earlier version of 6.15, pending the next update (because Garmin have acknowledged the problem) - easy to have both versions installed and just use the earlier one when working with GPX.  Or there is a workaround (which I haven't tried) mentioned right at the end of the thread you linked.

Chris S

« Reply #394 on: 15 August, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »
OK - numpty OSM question; I added an "unclassified" road in June - just to cut my teeth. It appears in JOSM, and when Editing on OSM - but it doesn't appear when Viewing a map.

Is there a vital step I've missed?

Edit: Hmm - I have discovered Maplint - and it shows my road in Orange. It claims it's "untagged way" even though it's tagged as "highway=unclassified". Weirdness.

Edit 2: Pfft... None of my updates seem to get through. Looks like a load of bollocks to me the server is overloaded. This is not atypical of Open Source IME - it often disappoints. I'll try again another time.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #395 on: 15 August, 2009, 11:37:25 pm »
Where is the suspect road?  Link me, baby.

Chris S

« Reply #396 on: 16 August, 2009, 09:55:26 am »
Where is the suspect road?  Link me, baby.

Thanks Andy - it's here: OpenStreetMap. Brown's Lane, heading south out of Necton.

But I think I've worked it out now - I ended up with the way in two halves (disconnected segment - wasn't attached to anything) and one of the halves had the tags whilst the other was the disconnected one. I think I can sort it out now.

All my other updates have appeared this morning - I suspect the server(s) was/were overloaded yesterday and queueing up updates (if that's how they work).

Chris S

« Reply #397 on: 16 August, 2009, 10:44:04 am »
Sigh. OSM hates me :(.

An unusual error happened (in 'putway' -3.0). The server said: uninitialized constant Changeset::SCALE

Please e-mail richard  AT systemeD DOT net with a bug report, saying what you were doing at the time.

I get this using Potlatch or JOSM. I think I broke it  ::-).

« Reply #398 on: 16 August, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »
All my other updates have appeared this morning - I suspect the server(s) was/were overloaded yesterday and queueing up updates (if that's how they work).
I've noticed in the past that recent edits have appeared on the map at different times, depending on zoom level. As if what you are seeing is pre-digested images rather than live data drawn at the time of display.

Chris S

« Reply #399 on: 16 August, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
I've noticed in the past that recent edits have appeared on the map at different times, depending on zoom level. As if what you are seeing is pre-digested images rather than live data drawn at the time of display.

Yes - all earlier angst seems to be sorted now - all my updates have appeared, and I finally got Brown's Lane to work (by deleting my original and doing it again).

It's quite addictive this, isn't it?