Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193697 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #500 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:52:28 am »
I had a freeby the other day. Someone that I'd recommended OSM to for his Garmin mentioned that some lanes in a particular area where he rides aren't shown. When I checked I realised that I'd ridden one missing stretch of road on a recent audax without noticing it was missing. I just had to revisit that track and add the road - adding the others in the area will give me a 50 mile ride though.

Incidentally, when following that audax (Snowdrop), I'd added a service road through the industrial estate in which the HQ was located I couldn't figure out how to add the gate at one end that is sometimes closed. I went back yesterday to have another go and found someone else has added the gate - how cool is that?

« Reply #501 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
well, got the oregon and after waiting forever for it to locate itself  i finally got to see the mapping. it looks even better, especially as i can read it without glasses!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #502 on: 01 March, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »
Pic! I've not seen it on a pimpy GPS :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #503 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:00:20 pm »
now you're asking, i've tried for ages to save a track to only to find it now needs to be .gpx instaed of .trl.
will try and geta  screen shot.

« Reply #504 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:16:10 pm »
got the images but don't know how to put them in a message :(

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #505 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:24:50 pm »
You need to store an image online first, in jpg forrmat.  In your own webspace or some public album space.
Then copy the link to the location and put it inside tags created by the 'Insert Image' tool in the message editor.

All the best info on the Oregon is here: Oregon FAQ
you can set it up to save screen dumps to memory, I assume you've found that.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #506 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:27:38 pm »
thanks, i've got the images and converted to jpeg. I've put  a link to the page, i couldn't seem to get the photo link thing to show in the post.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/piedwagtail91/ScreenGrabs#

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #507 on: 01 March, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »
Very swish  :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #508 on: 01 March, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »
I've put  a link to the page, i couldn't seem to get the photo link thing to show in the post.

If you quote this message, all will be revealed.

Big, isn't it.  That white-lined default font works better at this high resolution - on the smaller Dakota screen its just a muzzy mess.
FWIW a lot of block coloured background can be problematic on these touchscreen GPS - they're so dim remember (dim visually that is).  They really need a special 'white background' stylesheet for decent visibility.

« Reply #509 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:32:22 pm »
thanks. I've checked it out. I'll give it a go next time

« Reply #510 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:27:56 pm »
I use the munky GMAPSUPP.IMG on an Etrex HCx.

What's the style files download for? Should I have done something with that?

« Reply #511 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:33:53 am »
I use the munky GMAPSUPP.IMG on an Etrex HCx.

What's the style files download for? Should I have done something with that?

To use the munky maps on a Garmin GPS, the GMAPSUPP.IMG is all you need.

The style files are only used as input for the mkgmap program. They would only be useful if you plan to start creating OSM Garmin maps yourself using mkgmap.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #512 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:44:13 am »
Yup:

The IMG is all you need for a Garmin.

The Tiles are for putting into MapSource if you wanna.

The Style is for interest if you're into OSM-to-Garmin map fiddling.

« Reply #513 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:11:16 am »
how up to date are the tiles for mapsource? i've downloaded something called osm worldwide and got that into mapsource but think it would be better having the same stuff in teh pc and gps.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #514 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:57:47 am »
The tiles and the IMG are generated at the same time, so they're both 25-Feb-2010 right now.  The date-stamp is your guide.

I keep the "lastweek" versions up there in case there are problems with the current one (like with this weeks experimental whole-uk run, or restylings, or map creation problems that I miss (I once lost East Anglia!) or wiki problems with the data (vandalism is possible though thus far, trivial), or plain old upload failures, or people wanting to download while I'm uploading (it takes around 3h on my skinny pipe).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #515 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:39:32 am »
But different downloads from different sources can be wildly different ages.  Some of the builds seem to use copies of copies of copies, and if the refresh dates don't mesh they can easily be a month out of date.

« Reply #516 on: 02 March, 2010, 12:36:13 pm »
thanks, i'll give it a go as long as it's not too technical!

« Reply #517 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:13:19 pm »
without wanting to appear too thick ,whereabouts are the tiles. I downloaded and unzipped, but all i can find is the file for the gps?
thanks
(should have pm'd this really!) :-[

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #518 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:39:44 pm »
OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE.zip is the single map for Garmin. 

OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles.zip unzips to a folder full of smaller .IMG files that are the tiles for MapSource etc.

(If these files are missing it's usually because I'm uploading new ones.  Grab the lastweek ones or wait a couple of hours)

« Reply #519 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:46:36 pm »
thanks!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #520 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Random suggestion for andygates: Molish an index file, jibble your web server to show more characters in directory indexes, or change your naming scheme or something.  You currently get presented with four links to "OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKI..>" and have to work out which is which by trial and error, mouseovering and watching the status bar (which in my browser window isn't actually wide enough to be any help) or educated guesswork based on date and file size.  Would probably save some bandwidth :)

« Reply #521 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:15:30 pm »
thanks kim
thats waht confused me, i should wear glasses really but they're a pain! see far more clearly now with them on!

« Reply #522 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:05:03 pm »
OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE.zip is the single map for Garmin. 
I can remember what to do with this one (into /garmin folder on the micro SD)

OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles.zip unzips to a folder full of smaller .IMG files that are the tiles for MapSource etc.

but I'm jiggered if I can remember what to do with the tiles.  It's so long since I've used mapsource....

« Reply #523 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:06:38 pm »
but I'm jiggered if I can remember what to do with the tiles.  It's so long since I've used mapsource....

Answer is up thread: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12998.msg555006#msg555006

ed_o_brain

« Reply #524 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:10:26 pm »
I usually use Mapsource for creating routes - perhaps I need to load a MunkyMap into there? If so, how?
Yes, you can install the MunkyMaps in MapSource, its not too hard:
Download the "Tiles" version of the Munky, and unzip the England / Scotland / Wales folder somewhere, plus the munky.typ file.
Download MapSetToolKit from cypherman1 - MapSetToolKit page
(font-end for cgpsmapper)
and unzip it (note: you do not need to download cGPSmapper).

Run MapSetToolKit, and on the right there is a section for "Mapset installed". Click on the button underneath that for "Install".
Choose the TDB file, TYP file etc from the the Munky map folder you unzipped. I think the "Overview map" is the 63240000.img file.
You also need to fill in something for the "Registry name", I think this can be whatever you like, so long as its not the same as another mapset.
Then click Install, and it will be installed in MapSource.

Minor suggestion to Andy: can you give your maps a series name? Its currently just the mkgmap default of "OSM Map", which gets confusing if you have multiple OSM maps installed in MapSource. Its done using the --series-name= option in Mkgmap.

No worky. :(

MapSetToolKit says it has installed 'OSM Munky' maps and they are listed in the registry check. But they aren't displayed in MapSource nor listed under Tools -> Switch To Product.

This is Vista.. I'm going to check the registry keys myself. I bet MapSource isn't reading them...

*On Edit*

Okay I fixed it. I followed Fuaran's instructions. But they don't quite work for Vista. Vista either doesn't fully trust MapSetToolKit or believes the registry keys should be arranged according to some hidden agenda. Whatever the case, the end result is that they are added somewhere that MapSource can't find them.

I elected to name the registry key 'Munky OSM'. I then, as administrator, ran regedit.exe and searched the registry for 'Munky OSM'. I found the relevant registry key @ /HKCU/Software/Classes/Virtual Store/MACHINE/Garmin/Mapsource/Families' or thereabouts.

The actual place the new key and it's subordinates should be added is '/HKLM/Software/Garmin/Mapsource/Families'.

I thus manually created each of the keys and values at the correct location, then deleted the original keys from under /HKCU/Software/Classes/Virtual Store/MACHINE/Garmin/Mapsource/Families

It's a bit of a hack I'm afraid.