Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193860 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #525 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »
Would it work if you did "Run as administrator" for MapSetToolKit?
I've not used Vista, but I think it only does the virtual store thing for users without admin rights.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #526 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:10:13 pm »
Would it work if you did "Run as administrator" for MapSetToolKit?
I've not used Vista, but I think it only does the virtual store thing for users without admin rights.

Same result running as administrator. I think it's because MapSetToolKit is unsigned.

It looks like getting the maps to show in MapSource was the first hurdle. MapSource is not showing me the individual tiles/allowing me to transfer them to the device. I've even repeated the entire process in case I downloaded the incorrect OSM Munky zip file.

** On edit **

Trying to run MapSource in XP Compatibility mode, as administrator and also updating to the latest version.

« Reply #527 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:04:30 pm »
Strange, I've never had a problem running MapSetToolKit under Vista. I use the same method to get my own mkgmap/OSM generated maps into MapSource. I run MapSetToolKit as Admin, as suggested...

Must admit, I've never tried to get tiles from MapSource to the device, though.

But in my MapSource, if I use the Map Tool, my OSM tiles highlight in yellow when I move the mouse and a tile can be selected with CTRL-Click.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #528 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »
Strange, I've never had a problem running MapSetToolKit under Vista. I use the same method to get my own mkgmap/OSM generated maps into MapSource. I run MapSetToolKit as Admin, as suggested...

Must admit, I've never tried to get tiles from MapSource to the device, though.

But in my MapSource, if I use the Map Tool, my OSM tiles highlight in yellow when I move the mouse and a tile can be selected with CTRL-Click.

Running MapSetToolKit as user with 'Admin' privileges just put the keys into a different VirtualStore registry path. I had two lots of redundant keys to go and remove. Of course, this isn't quite the same as running an application as 'administrator'. Duh.

On the MapSource issue, I couldn't see the OSM tiles highlighted in yellow, until I first CTRL+Left clicked the map. And there they were!

I think now I need to work out how to create my own map tiles, so I can make the most of the 24 MB on my Vista HC.

** On Edit **

Like all things open source there are other options, MKgmap is a Java application ( all OS ) written by the originator of OSM you can install it yourself but it is in the Debian repros. This application only creates the img maps but since the maps can only be used on units with mass storage you can just drag and drop them, no need for a usb connection.

Mkgmap - OpenStreetMap

From upthread, this looks like it will do the job.

« Reply #529 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:55:51 am »
Well it was a great deal more complex than Fuaran's instructions .....
Lots of error msgs, seems cgsmapper IS required (which set off kaspersky alarm bells in a big way)

Anyway - overcame all the hurdles it put in my way.... and finally got a message to say

"Convert Failed"

This is Mapsource 6.15.6 running under Win 7 by the way.

Any body got any ideas as to how to solve this?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #530 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:16:51 pm »
Lots of error msgs, seems cgsmapper IS required (which set off kaspersky alarm bells in a big way)
No it isn't. It sounds like you clicked on the "Start" button in MapSetToolKit, which there's no need to do. Instead just click on the "Install" button just above that.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #531 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »
Really?  Oh, I'll try that.  The docs and interface are award-winningly fugly!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #532 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »
Any body got any ideas as to how to solve this?

Have a look at the 2nd half of my MSTK Tutorial here  - scroll to halfway down.
this page is specific to installing a contours mapset but the general principles apply.
Try installing without an 'overview' map - I find this works much better
Tile filenames must be 8.3 structure

I agree you do need cgsmapper BTW.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #533 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:35:56 pm »
cgpsmapper is only needed if you need to generate the overview map and TDB file from a bunch of IMG files.
The Munky map "Tiles" download already includes a overview map and TDB. So all you need to do is add the relevant registry entries - which MapSetToolKit can do, without cgpsmapper.

And you can use mkgmap to create the overview/TDB instead of cgpsmapper.

« Reply #534 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »
No it isn't. It sounds like you clicked on the "Start" button in MapSetToolKit, which there's no need to do. Instead just click on the "Install" button just above that.

No... definitely clicked on "install" not "start"
Just tried again and now I get an error message that says "Family ID exist" ..... no idea what that means or how to solve it.
It now seems to put a default value of 23 in Family ID field ... but greyed out so I can't change it.

« Reply #535 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »
Seems that "family ID" message is because MapSetToolKit thinks it's alread installed.

MapSource doesnt want to know though... still resolutely displays the base map.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #536 on: 09 March, 2010, 05:24:47 pm »
Family Id 23 is allocated by default to Garmin City Select South Africa.
So if you have that map installed then the OSM would need a different FiD.  But I haven't noticed it being a problem (hijacking an ID allocated to a Garmin product) as long as I don't have the map in question installed.  Much higher ID numbers are safer - 150 and above.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #537 on: 09 March, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
I would suggest that registry keys for your new maps are nstalled, just not in the right place. Are you running MapSetToolKit as administrator?

« Reply #538 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:32:02 am »
running as administrator - yes

« Reply #539 on: 23 March, 2010, 08:16:12 am »
Can anybody tell me how to join roads to each other using Potlatch?

I've been merrily filling in some of the gaps east of Worcester and I assumed all I had to do was draw the roads over my tracks so they touched each other at junctions. However, another local contributor has pointed me towards keep right! which suggests that I should have been doing something to create the junction. I'm blowed if I can figure out how to do it though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #540 on: 23 March, 2010, 09:50:25 am »
When you're editing a road and hover over another road, you'll see the other road light up in blue.  The cursor changes to get a little --+ logo, and at that point if you click, you'll link the edited way to this other one.

When editing roads that don't quite join, I use this sequence:

1: Select the end node of my road.
2: Drag it clear of the junction.
3: Click it again and you'll get the elastic 'more of this way' line.
4: Click in the target road where you want the junction. Click a second time to set the node and release the cursor.

(you'll now have the roads joining correctly, with a gratuitous extra node knuckling off somewhere nearby)

5: Select the gratuitous node and press [Del] to delete it, or move it to make a road curve, as appropriate.

Incidentally when editing in Potlatch, this is useful: To start a new way from the middle of an existing one, highlight the existing way, then hold down [Shift] while clicking the node.  You'll get a ready-joined new elastic way.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #541 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:25:18 pm »
When editing roads that don't quite join, I use this sequence:
2: Drag it clear of the junction.
3: Click it again and you'll get the elastic 'more of this way' line.
4: Click in the target road where you want the junction. Click a second time to set the node and release the cursor.
(you'll now have the roads joining correctly, with a gratuitous extra node knuckling off somewhere nearby)
5: Select the gratuitous node and press [Del] to delete it, or move it to make a road curve, as appropriate.

Can I suggest an improvement?

2: Hit the [Delete] key.   I now have the elastic 'more of this way' line from my penultimate point.
3: As step 4 above, but no gratuitous node left over.
end

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #542 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:54:17 pm »
Cunning! Why didn't I think of that?

« Reply #543 on: 23 March, 2010, 02:25:24 pm »

Thanks - I didn't know about that 2nd click, that's all I needed to do.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #544 on: 24 March, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »
I've bought a second SD card and have just loaded the OSM data on. Very pretty! It's quite encouraging to see details that wouldn't be there without our work.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #545 on: 27 March, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »
Is it possible to download the free maps and send them to mapsource to view on computer only if so how hope it's not to techie
I think you can do this with MapSetToolKit. It is a bit techie, but should be possible if you follow these instructions: cypherman1 - Now to use MapSetToolKit 

I've driven myself to distraction trying this.  I don't think the dos shelly bits get on with Win7 64.

« Reply #546 on: 27 March, 2010, 03:23:59 pm »
Is it possible to download the free maps and send them to mapsource to view on computer only if so how hope it's not to techie
I think you can do this with MapSetToolKit. It is a bit techie, but should be possible if you follow these instructions: cypherman1 - Now to use MapSetToolKit 

I've driven myself to distraction trying this.  I don't think the dos shelly bits get on with Win7 64.

You shouldn't have to do all that for the Munky maps tiles version. Try the instructions here (from up thread): http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12998.msg555006#msg555006

Effectively, all it's doing is adding a couple of registry entries to allow MapSource to 'see' the Munky maps where ever you've put them on the disk. If it works, it'll put an entry for the Munky maps under the registry key: /HKLM/Software/Garmin/Mapsource/Families. (You'll need to run MapSetToolkit with admin rights to do this successfully).

Shaun

« Reply #547 on: 27 March, 2010, 03:58:43 pm »
I built my map set from Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap and one of the downloads that it provides is a MapSource installer. I just ran the executable provided and then selected that map from the MapSource menu as described above. I'm not using Win7 but I didn't have to type any techy commands. Hope that helps, sorry if I missed the point.

I use the lovely munkymap on the GPS but for mapsource purposes the above source is close enough - I don't think it has the little postboxes but it has the little foaming beer glasses for pubs  :thumbsup:

« Reply #548 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:23:14 pm »
For anybody who wants to install the munky maps tile version into MapSource and avoid having to download MapSetToolKit and you know what to do with the code below, here are the registry keys you need to add.

Make sure you change the file path elements in the code to correspond to where you've unzipped the munky maps, of course!

After adding the registry keys, the munky maps masquerading as "OSM map" should be available from the map selector dropdown within MapSource.

Shaun

--------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Families\MunkyMaps]
"TYP"="D:\\Downloads\\OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles\\munky.typ"
"ID"=hex:17,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Families\MunkyMaps\1]
"TDB"="D:\\Downloads\\OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles\\uk\\63240000.tdb"
"LOC"="D:\\Downloads\\OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles\\uk"
"BMAP"="D:\\Downloads\\OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles\\uk\\63240000.img"

------------------------------

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #549 on: 27 March, 2010, 06:02:58 pm »
Suggestiion to andygates: have you tried using Mkgmap with the "nsis" option? It makes it really easy to create a proper installer for MapSource.
You just run Mkgmap with the --nsis option (plus the usual tdbfile options etc), and it creates a ".nsi" file. Then open that with NSIS to compile it into an .exe installer.