Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193647 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #575 on: 06 April, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »
OSM is better because it doesn't rely on a monolithic oganisation and gathers richer data. And responds faster.

While  all other on-line maps haven't updated to note the new one way street in Lochee, OSM has it from day one.

It records trail quality and surface for MTB/hiking. And much more.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #576 on: 06 April, 2010, 09:26:12 pm »
Not sure it would make a difference if google set up as a third commercial provider?  (which I agree it looks like they might)

They still wouldn't let me add my own tagged MTB routes or whatever to their map on my whim.  Or even just do a timely update like David said.  They aren't handing out raw vector data to generate another rendering like cycle map etc, or a Garmin map from.  Or let someone do those travelling time diagrams, etc.  At the moment it looks like they'd just be another one alongside Navteq and Teleatlas?  (that's assuming the market for road data isn't overly blown out of the water by Open OS stuff in the UK at least)

Of course, the better their stuff is the more it will detract from OSM, but I don't see a sudden watershed effect here.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #577 on: 06 April, 2010, 11:07:12 pm »
Globally, OSM is a game-changer.  The NavTeq Haiti had just four roads: out in the boonies, there's no money in doing it, so the commercial providers have no incentive.  It's the same as your MTB trails: the number of people who care enough to pay for it are small, so the urge to produce maps is low unless the consumers can be the creators .

They're still thinking like Britannica, though: providing a dataset that's got slow turnaround and claims high trustworthiness.  OSM's Wikipedia approach is, I'm convinced, a winner against both the trusted-data folks and the people in unprofitable niches. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #578 on: 06 April, 2010, 11:49:30 pm »
In my sillier moments I had thought of creating a complete village, along with GPS traces, post boxes, church etc. and placing it in the Highlands and calling it Brigadoon. See how long before anyone notices..

Or convert Tobermory to Balamory.

Maybe that should wait till next years April 1. I can have a whole year to create it. Add it for April 1st as a single changeset and then remove it 24 hours later (if it is still there).

Any volunteers for Atlantis?

Or is this being Very Very Norty(tm)?

..d

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #579 on: 07 April, 2010, 09:46:53 am »
Very very norty, but I'd giggle.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

« Reply #580 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
Very very norty, but I'd giggle.

That is why it would have to be easily removable..

Atlantis would be quite entertaining.

..d

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #581 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:11:02 pm »
There is an OSM dev server where you could put made up stuff without bothering anyone much...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #582 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:20:12 pm »
Which reminds me, we need more planets.  Where's OSM Moon and OSM Mars, eh? Granted, they're just public-domain science data now, but when the first commercial travellers arrive they'll only be able to get quick tagging and mapping if they use OSM!

place=base
name=Bowie Base One :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #583 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »
Which reminds me, we need more planets.  Where's OSM Moon and OSM Mars, eh? Granted, they're just public-domain science data now, but when the first commercial travellers arrive they'll only be able to get quick tagging and mapping if they use OSM!

place=base
name=Bowie Base One :thumbsup:

OK, so you now have your project for delivery on March 31st..

I'll get mapping Brigadoon.

..d

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #584 on: 07 April, 2010, 02:23:39 pm »
The Brig' o' Doon: OpenStreetMap :smug:

« Reply #585 on: 07 April, 2010, 02:36:15 pm »

Errr, completely blank for me. (It's a dodgy character at the end of the layers attribute that prevents anything from being displayed). Firefox appends %A0 onto the URL and you see nothing...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

David Martin

« Reply #586 on: 07 April, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
A long way away...

You would be closer to the Brig'o'Doone..

..d

« Reply #587 on: 13 April, 2010, 11:15:26 pm »
just been copying woods and streams from the os streetview map, it one hell of a map.pleased to say that my gps traces agree with it!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #588 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:38:40 pm »
Good GPS traces agree very strongly, don't they?   :thumbsup:

I may have to claim the saddo award today.  I ran an extra lap of the local running track just so I could get a good trace for OSM.   :facepalm:

« Reply #589 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:49:11 pm »
theres a labyrinth in a nearby town that i've been mapping, i'm wondering if the gps is accurate enough to get that!
 i think it'll be a very early morning walk  to get that!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #590 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:31:30 pm »
If it works for Longleat, it ought to work for you!  OpenStreetMap

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #591 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:46:45 am »
Okay geonerds, how would you tag a piece of land art?  I'm thinking of the Uffington White Horse or the Cerne Abbas Giant -- so they appear on the slippy map.

(In each case there's a node such as tourism=attraction or historic=archaeological_site for the thing itself; I'm talking about the ways that make up the drawing. )

...AHA! Someone has used barrier=earth_wall for the Nazca Condor.  That'll do.

« Reply #592 on: 17 April, 2010, 07:58:09 am »
If it works for Longleat, it ought to work for you!  OpenStreetMap

hell, thats nice!

« Reply #593 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »
Now that OS street view is available on Potlatch, what is the deal about tracing over it?  Is this OK now?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #594 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:23:30 pm »
Yes! (with caveats).  The main one being that just because it is very good, doesn't mean it is canonical -- the best survey is still an eyeball survey.  Don't edit stuff you don't know at least fairly well, because you've no idea if you're wrong or not.  Do use it for road names and landmarks, especially in the sticks. 

A lot of the rural mapping is traced from older, worse maps - NPE, usually, from the 1960s.  OS tracing will definitely be better than this, so upgrading the trace is good. 

If you turn GPS traces on (to show where other users have done surveys) and use the source shortcut (in Potlatch: B sets the source to the current background layer) you won't go wrong. 

« Reply #595 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:09:15 am »
Thanks for the help Andy, I have noticed some ropey stuff in the sticks.

I have a GPs suitable for recording traces but not one I can easily use with OSM.

I am feeling an urge to upgrade to an Oregon.  This is a really exciting project.

David Martin

« Reply #596 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:56:29 am »
Thanks for the help Andy, I have noticed some ropey stuff in the sticks.

Several smaller roads locally are plain wrong on the OS maps. Easter Eggs?

..d

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #597 on: 19 April, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »
Possibly.  Or just out of date, if it's new development.  Where the ground truth doesn't match = a good time to use the note tag!  ;D

David Martin

« Reply #598 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:45:03 pm »
Possibly.  Or just out of date, if it's new development.  Where the ground truth doesn't match = a good time to use the note tag!  ;D

The new development would be a large field and the driveway marked on the map patently does not exist and has never existed.
here

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #599 on: 20 April, 2010, 08:54:12 am »
The Google map is wrong; the OS map is correct.

The extra driveway could be an easter egg; it could also be a planned development (there's a whole estate down here that's currently a field with bulldozers; dunno how they get that info early, presumably from planning offices or such). 

More likely, it's just a tracing error.   ;)