Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193715 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #650 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:29:47 am »
Who created the OSM garmin map you're using?

They were Andy's Munky maps, downloaded April 6th.

I forgot to take the Garmin maps Micro-SD card with me, otherwise I could have done a swap to see if that made a difference.

I'll have a look at mkgmap, I don't mind getting my hands dirty with the underlying road classifications...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #651 on: 10 May, 2010, 06:24:51 pm »
This guy: Openmtbmap.org – Mountainbike / Bicycle/ Hiking Maps based on Openstreetmap avoided the issue by marking unmade road as toll road so if you tick "avoid toll road" it does not route you on unmade roads

Hadn't thought of that. Pretty good idea since it's switchable on the GPS device...

I'll have a look at mkgmap, I don't mind getting my hands dirty with the underlying road classifications...

All the changes would be made to the mkgmap "lines" style file.

This page has the basic instruction steps for rolling your own Garmin OSM map using mkgmap/splitter: OSM Map On Garmin/Cycle map.

Shaun

« Reply #652 on: 15 May, 2010, 10:02:55 pm »

Its actually really easy and rather addictive. 

I'm very pleased to say I've added a few kms in France and it's ended up on the map, yes it was easy.  Is the site slow, or is it just my pc?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #653 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:06:05 pm »
Speed of update is usually pretty good, but when you posted there was a user uploading scads of data and hammering it.

Just a quick note to the effect that I've been having some problems generating maps lately, but it ain't dead.  It's just throwing errors and making Dunwich disappear.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #654 on: 28 May, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »
it ain't dead.  It's just throwing errors and making Dunwich disappear.

That's just future-proofing, innit?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #655 on: 28 May, 2010, 02:35:52 pm »
Sure is :)

I *think* the size of England has finally beaten my fragile little lappy.  Alternatives are being explored...
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #656 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »
Sure is :)

I *think* the size of England has finally beaten my fragile little lappy.  Alternatives are being explored...

probably my fault for putting so much woodland in!!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #657 on: 28 May, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »
Monday the GPS told me "right into stairs" using the "car motorcycle" setting. It is a dakota 20 with Andy's map.

It also ignores the Bristol to Bath cyclepath for routing purposes in bicycle mode routing.
Chief cat entertainer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #658 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »
Speed of update is usually pretty good, but when you posted there was a user uploading scads of data and hammering it.

Just a quick note to the effect that I've been having some problems generating maps lately, but it ain't dead.  It's just throwing errors and making Dunwich disappear.

A considerable stretch of Southend Sea Front also disappeared under the waves.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #659 on: 28 May, 2010, 08:15:15 pm »
Spookily, if you draw the route of the Dun Run, that's the diagonal of the box which is missing.  It's a memory thing, I'm pretty sure, and I'm on the case.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #660 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:12:47 pm »
Okay OSM nerds, I need a bit of help here.

I'm trying to make my usual single map comprising England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Man.  I put England through the splitter before using mkgmap to mash 'em all together. 

In the last couple of weeks I've been unable to do England properly.  The split produces a bunch of osm files and appears to succeed, but mkgmap then reports one of the split files with "Bad file format: foo006.osm".  This, I assume, is the source of the broken tile.

Thinking it was a PC resource issue (1Gb, XP, clockwork) I've blagged a work machine (4Gb, Win7, scramjet) but the error persists.  I've tried tweaking the splitter and mkgmap parameters - from 512 to 1024m, to start with, and split ranges from 750,000 to 1,500,000 nodes, all without success.

I'm momentarily out of ideas.  Halp!

« Reply #661 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »
really wish i could help ,but i'm still trying to work out if you posted in english. sorry  ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #662 on: 02 June, 2010, 09:35:09 am »
Translation: My tame goblins are on strike. Like Eddie George, I sulk and rant but haven't worked out which is the ringleader.

Ooh! A newer version of splitter.jar.  With better handling of long ways over multiple areas?  That could have been it.  Shall crunch numbers...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #663 on: 02 June, 2010, 06:49:51 pm »
Updated both splitter and mkgmap, changed splitter to work in smaller splits (600000 nodes, for reference) and while I was at it, I've added sea areas at last.  Joy and success!

The map will be uploaded later tonight.

NB on the sea areas: For now, the existing blocky sea is still present as well.  This sea is part of the contours package, and eventually I'll make/find a new one of those.  Until then, you can use the GPS Setup > Maps to turn off contours if you need smooth sea.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #664 on: 02 June, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »
NB on the sea areas: For now, the existing blocky sea is still present as well.  This sea is part of the contours package, and eventually I'll make/find a new one of those.  Until then, you can use the GPS Setup > Maps to turn off contours if you need smooth sea.

For some reason this amused me greatly.  Now that your maps can control maritime weather, the next logical step is for turning off contours to have a similar smoothing effect on land.  This would be of great benefit to cyclists.    :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #665 on: 02 June, 2010, 10:48:59 pm »
Even better, I shall mark the Corryvreckan whirlpool, then turn it off and kayak safely through. ;D

Right!  Maps are up in the usual places and with luck, I'll get a regular update going again instead of this alligator-juggling nonsense.

« Reply #666 on: 03 June, 2010, 07:39:34 am »
  good luck with the maps. i have to confess that i tried a rival version for my 200 mile ride yesterday/ today (To see all the woodland that i'd added) but didn't like it, especially when i found out that cockermouth was missing. Switched straight back to munky and full coverage of my route was restored, post boxes included! got  a few of those to upload when i wake up !

« Reply #667 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:30:46 pm »

For some reason this amused me greatly.  Now that your maps can control maritime weather, the next logical step is for turning off contours to have a similar smoothing effect on land.  This would be of great benefit to cyclists.    :)

While you're at it can you do something about the exchange rate between miles and kilometers please.  :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #668 on: 03 June, 2010, 07:48:16 pm »
No, but I can report that you'll find campus-type sites now have richer detail in them.  :)

(OSM nerds: areas with relations render correctly)

Okay, pop quiz, does anyone want buildings?  OSM building coverage is variable, and I'm thinking of just the ones with names = important ones.  Thoughts?

« Reply #669 on: 03 June, 2010, 08:45:11 pm »
i've traced a few hospitals so it would be nice to see them on the gps.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #670 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »
You've put the hospital POI and area in already?

« Reply #671 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »
dunno, i traced the out line of the buildings and named it as in a poi? don't know if thats what you mean1

« Reply #672 on: 03 June, 2010, 11:04:52 pm »
Hostipal POI?   I'll have those  :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #673 on: 03 June, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »
In Potlatch: Drag the red-and-white cross onto the map and tag it accordingly.

By hand: Create a node with amenity=hospital.

Where you have a sprawling site like our Heavitree Hospital, it's good to lay down an area covering the site (much like you would for a school or university).  The area is also tagged with amenity=hospital

« Reply #674 on: 05 June, 2010, 12:47:36 pm »
i read a post somewhere that someone was marking the summits of passes/roads but can't find it and can't remember who posted it.. i can't remember what the tag was either. is it a bit ott to do that in england? i'm only thinking big climbs or those rated 1st category if a national race goes over them?