Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193781 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #675 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:22:17 pm »
Here's the tags for Col de l'Iseran:

# ele: 2770
# mountain_pass: yes
# name: Col de l'Iseran
# wikipedia: Col de l’Iseran – Wikipedia

They don't appear on the regular map, but are still searchable locations (handy for routing).  They do appear in the munkymap. 

Hm, I need to add slipways and whitewater tags to the munkymap soon...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #676 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:34:11 pm »

Any chance of sneaking in leisure=playground while you're at it?

(I've been using a separate .img, but this seems to give the Garmin "issues" clicking on things.  :-\)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #677 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »
Just got my GPS (Dakota 20) and is wondering how to get Andy's map in it ?

The GMAPSUPP.IMG file is now copied onto the 2GB memory card but on the GPS I can't see the map, what am I missing ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #678 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »
Just got my GPS (Dakota 20) and is wondering how to get Andy's map in it ?

The GMAPSUPP.IMG file is now copied onto the 2GB memory card but on the GPS I can't see the map, what am I missing ?
It needs to be in a folder called 'GPX' (which confused me mightily the first time).

You are also able to rename it to andygates.IMG or whatever if you think you'll be using multiple maps on your SD card, as I do.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #679 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:31:20 pm »
hmm that didn't work. Going through the settings to find a new map I still have only the option of the pre-installed map. Do I need to format the SD card to something first ?

« Reply #680 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:45:04 pm »
If it works like the Edge, the folder name needs to be Garmin, not GPX.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #681 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »
Naming it to Garmin worked, but I also updated the software to 3.10.

Though I got the choice of three maps, all looking the same on the description.

« Reply #682 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »
i think you need a Garmin folder on the memory card and put the map in that.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #683 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:20:26 pm »

Any chance of sneaking in leisure=playground while you're at it?

It's already included for areas, rendering in the same colour as parks (pale green fill). 

i think you need a Garmin folder on the memory card and put the map in that.

Yes.  The path must be X:\Garmin\GMAPSUPP.IMG  (where X is whatever letter your card appears as when mounted as a USB drive)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #684 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:06:02 pm »
Sorry for giving the wrong name for the folder - yes, it should be Garmin.

AndyGates, units like the Oregon don't require the map to be GPMAPPSUP.IMG but anything.IMG and they will still work.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #685 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:10:02 pm »
Newfangled and fancypants huh?  :)  I stand corrected. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #686 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:12:38 pm »
Auntie, not to worry :)

Now I just need to figure out how to get a route I have made onto the Garmin, it is all new to me.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #687 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:17:22 pm »
Got the route running after using gpsies.com and learning that I had to copy the files into a folder called GPX in the Garmin folder on my SD card.

Though I just noticed that on the map from Andy on the GPS, in Hurlingham Park next door to us there is a marker saying that this is Camden Town. Where as on the openstreetmap.org there is not such marker ?!?!

« Reply #688 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:23:01 pm »
Got the route running...

You'll never look back now  :)

« Reply #689 on: 09 June, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »
I went out for a ride last night using Polly's etrex loaded up with OSM.  It was quite exciting when I came across a bit of road (in Dragon's Green West Sussex) that wasn't on the map.  I've put it in - and the George & Dragon.  I noticed what I'd suspected.  Many of the roads have been put in as zig-zag lines, that's a shame really.  On roads I'm really sure of I'm going to go back and fill in the curves.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #690 on: 09 June, 2010, 11:25:33 pm »
Those zig-zag lines have probably been traced roughly from very old out-of-copyright maps, so nice accurate curvy updates are all good!   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #691 on: 10 June, 2010, 08:37:36 am »
I was most impressed with the quality of the German mapping of the Rhine and Mosel last week.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #692 on: 10 June, 2010, 01:13:12 pm »
With all the shared bus shelter wisdom on yacf it would be nice to have a shelter tag.

May be:
audax=z : one star shelter
audax=zz : two star shelter
audax=zzz : three star shelter

and we would nered an icon for each level.

Or may be it is an audax POI we need?
Chief cat entertainer.

Andy M

« Reply #693 on: 16 June, 2010, 02:18:00 pm »
I've just noticed that a housing estate near me is completely missing from OSM, so I think I'll go and give it a try.

What's the best technique for recording the route - Ride along the centre line? Up and down each street? Or is just one way sufficiently accurate?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #694 on: 16 June, 2010, 02:23:21 pm »
Ride both ways and draw in the middle. 

Or walk down the centreline marking a waypoint for each junction for maximal OCD.  :)

Chris S

« Reply #695 on: 16 June, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »

Meh. Andy's far more conscientious than me. I just ride one way - near the middle if possible. I don't drop waypoints for turns - I turn into them to mark where they are as a stub on the track, and then resume.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #696 on: 16 June, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »
I'm a real tart for waypoints.  If I'm doing an estate, it'll be lots of "fpth" and "grass" and "indust" and "strm follws rd", and that's on top of the names, POI and turn restrictions.

Andy M

« Reply #697 on: 16 June, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »
Great, thank you both for that. I asked as my OCD doesn't need an excuse to spiral things out of control!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #698 on: 16 June, 2010, 03:33:47 pm »
I would go for ride both ways, then repeat this a few days later. Then take an average and draw a line in the middle.
Because your GPS might be particularly inaccurate one day for whatever reason. If the tracks from different days are totally different, then you know there's probably something wrong with one of them, so worth trying to get another trace.

And FWIW I hardly ever bother marking waypoints - instead I take photos, then geotag them from the tracklog. I take photos of just about everything - streetsigns, postboxes, paths etc. I think its quicker than trying to mark a waypoint then enter text on the etrex. And I can load the photos in JOSM which is very useful for mapping.

« Reply #699 on: 16 June, 2010, 11:00:06 pm »

Meh. Andy's far more conscientious than me. I just ride one way - near the middle if possible. I don't drop waypoints for turns - I turn into them to mark where they are as a stub on the track, and then resume.

I rode the entire route, having planned it in my head first, so that I could turn left at every junction.   That meant that most main roads were mapped via both directions.    Road names?  well I'm already OCD and know them, so just used google maps to confirm my memory  :-[