Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193721 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #700 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:09:22 pm »
Hmm, on OSM when you look here - google map (since I don't know how to link to somewhere on OSM), it says Hurlingham Park as it is and all is good.

But on Andy's map on my GPS, it states that Camden Town is located right bang in the middle of the park, which is not true.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris S

« Reply #701 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
...so just used google maps to confirm my memory  :-[

Ooh - dodgy  :hand:.

Easter Eggs abound. I live on one. Google maps says C***** Lane, whereas the nameplate at the end of the road says C***** Road. You can get found out like that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #702 on: 17 June, 2010, 11:51:26 pm »
...so just used google maps to confirm my memory  :-[

Ooh - dodgy  :hand:.

Easter Eggs abound. I live on one. Google maps says C***** Lane, whereas the nameplate at the end of the road says C***** Road. You can get found out like that.

You might like to use Google Streetview, just to check spellings.  ;)

If you edit using potlatch, it is possible to tell your browser to put the OS_Streetview_Opendata as a background and since that is allowed to be copied, as long as you state the source, you should be OK. But be aware that even that has inaccuracies. I mapped Chimney Lane near Cock Clarks in Essex a month or so ago. Google & OS called it Chimneypot Lane. The 1:10000 mapping on Streetmaps called it Chimney Lane. The plate at the end of the road calls it Chimney Lane.

Sometimes you cannot even rely on the nameplate at the end of the road. My childhood home was in Dowsetts Lane, Ramsden Heath. One end of the road says it is called Dowsetts, the other Dowsett. The locals always called it Dowsetts. IIRC OS agrees with this*. The Chelmsford District Council has it recorded as Dowsett.

*Edit: on checking, OS has Dowsett on 1:25000 and Dowsetts on 1:2500. Google has Dowsett Lane. I named it on OSM as Dowsetts, taking the executive decision that local knowledge trumps all. I don't know if there's an OSM standard regarding stuff like this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #703 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:41:53 am »
Hmm, on OSM when you look here - google map (since I don't know how to link to somewhere on OSM), it says Hurlingham Park as it is and all is good.

But on Andy's map on my GPS, it states that Camden Town is located right bang in the middle of the park, which is not true.

Hm, what is Camden Town?  Is it an area feature whose rough middle might be there?  If so, the GPS is probably just making interesting labelling choices (I think large areas have higher priority as they're more likely to be important). 

If it's an error that has been recently corrected*, my last update was last week and I'm on hols this week so you'll just have to wait :)

Incidentally, to link a place from the OSM map page, just click the Permalink link bottom-right then copy the URL.

* In OSM map view, you can inspect any item quite closely.  Zoom in on it.  Then click the (+) on the right-hand side, and choose the Data tickbox.  This overlays the map data on top of the view.  Then, select your item by clicking or picking from the list - this will show you the item's tags.  To view its history and see if it has been edited recently, click Show History, which will usually have a trail of edits (edited today by andygates; edited last march by spofflecopter...).

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #704 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:49:00 am »

Hm, what is Camden Town?  Is it an area feature whose rough middle might be there?  If so, the GPS is probably just making interesting labelling choices (I think large areas have higher priority as they're more likely to be important). 

Camden Town is an area of North London, some 8 miles NNE of Hurlingham Park. The area of Camden Town is probably about 1 mile square at the most, no chance of any overlap.

Looks for a local equivalent...imagine the area of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital was a park, but it had a big "Crediton" label slapped in the middle of it. Just wrong.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #705 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:07:45 am »
Needs correcting, that!  If the map is good now, then someone has probably done that already.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #706 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:26:27 am »
...so just used google maps to confirm my memory  :-[

Ooh - dodgy  :hand:.

Agreed.

Well aware of that.

I didn't put anything in where my memory and Google disagreed  ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #707 on: 18 June, 2010, 12:16:03 pm »
Needs correcting, that!  If the map is good now, then someone has probably done that already.
Beaten t oit by Greenbank, thanks :)

Though your map (Andy) still marks the error and did on the last two versions. Where it have been correct on the OSM for a long time, as I'm sure that I would have spotted it when I have used OSM.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #708 on: 30 June, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »
Off to USA in a couple of weeks.

What is now the best method to get OSM data for Garmin for different regions - and minimal effort?

Cheers.

« Reply #709 on: 30 June, 2010, 08:47:14 pm »
It's just a bike ride.

;)

[EDIT] Eh? This was posted in a completely different thread! (The Mille Cymru thread!)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #710 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:01:33 am »
What is now the best method to get OSM data for Garmin for different regions - and minimal effort?

Cloudmade have world Garmin maps. The USA, by state, is here: CloudMade Downloads

If you're in one state, easy. 

If you're moving across several, either get them all and use Sendmap to send them in one blob to the GPS, or do one of the "several maps" shenanigans (either use several cards, or if you can read the card in, say, an internet cafe, then before you go, rename them ARIZONA.IMG, NEVADA.IMG, then copy the one of interest to GMAPSUPP.IMG as needed). 

Alternatively there are some others listed here: OSM Map On Garmin/Download - OpenStreetMap Wiki - I've not tried any, so caveat navigator.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #711 on: 01 July, 2010, 12:34:00 pm »
Thanks - will try some of them.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #712 on: 01 July, 2010, 01:10:07 pm »
Though your map (Andy) still marks the error and did on the last two versions. Where it have been correct on the OSM for a long time, as I'm sure that I would have spotted it when I have used OSM.

Try today's.  It's from yesterday's data so should be spiffy-fresh. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #713 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »
Just got it down, thanks.

In my list of maps there is three versions of it and I only have one file on the SD card and nothing extra on the memory build in.

"OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Topo, Maps uploaded with SendMap"

Is listed three times and all are enabled, when I disable one of them, Camden Town is not listed on the map. But if all are enabled Camden Town is. 

EDIT : Just played around and found out that these three maps are "layers" one is Topo (which is where Camden Town is marked on) the other two I can't see anything different.

The changes that I made to the neighbourhood are on there just as I plotted them, this is getting addicting, found a road today that needs to be updated.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #714 on: 02 July, 2010, 09:12:56 am »
Aha! The topo layer isn't my fault.  ;D

Years 'n' years ago the Scottish Mountaineering Club had a nerd in a cave, and the nerd took raw Shuttle radar map data and turned it into Garmin tiles.  At the same time, they added a (chunky) coastline and some other data such as peaks and areas. 

I just add that to the OSM dump.  My OSM also includes the usual place= tags (including locality, the arbitrary one for other stuff like "Gronnock's Nose", "Bleak Scarp" or "Gallows Cross"); it doesn't include any named landuse chunks, which some people use to denote a suburb (eg The Walronds in Tiverton). 

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #715 on: 06 July, 2010, 10:30:21 am »

Cheers.

I used Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap for maps of the Netherlands this weekend.
You select the tiles you want and get an email with them at some point depending how busy they are.

They send you 4 different configurations of the file
*Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows).
*Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
*Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
*A zip file just containing all the Garmin map tiles as selected on this website. This is useful for Linux users
I used the gmapsupp.img and just copied it into the device window.

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #716 on: 06 July, 2010, 09:15:09 pm »

Cheers.

I used Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap for maps of the Netherlands this weekend.
You select the tiles you want and get an email with them at some point depending how busy they are.

They send you 4 different configurations of the file
*Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows).
*Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
*Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
*A zip file just containing all the Garmin map tiles as selected on this website. This is useful for Linux users
I used the gmapsupp.img and just copied it into the device window.

Thanks for the link. I will have a go at this for France. One thing to be aware of: the page doesn't seem to like Mozilla Firefox - I searched everywhere for somewhere to enter an email address but it just wasn't there. When I started again with internet explorer another pair of windows appeared including Enter email address.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #717 on: 06 July, 2010, 09:53:12 pm »
It works fine for me in Firefox. Tick the box for enable tile selection, select some tiles, then the box to enter email address appears.

« Reply #718 on: 06 July, 2010, 11:16:57 pm »
Question for AndyG.

Is it possible to generate a tdb file matching the Munky-UKIE img file so that it can be used in the Garmin Training Centre program? I'm using your map on my Edge 705 but on the PC Training Centre only has a very basic basemap.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #719 on: 07 July, 2010, 01:11:55 am »
If you download the file: OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles.zip it includes the tdb file as well as the map tiles etc. So you can use it with MapSource, Training Center etc.

Or an easier option is to download a map from the worldwide routable page linked a couple of posts back. It includes an installer for MapSource (I assume it works for Training Center as well?).

Wothill

« Reply #720 on: 07 July, 2010, 09:26:27 am »
It works fine for me in Firefox. Tick the box for enable tile selection, select some tiles, then the box to enter email address appears.
Ah, thanks. I didn't try that. I just selected France and no email window appeared. Using IE, there was no problem with the email address, but I noticed the world map never reappeared and the whole thing was slower.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #721 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:00:20 am »
Ah, thanks. I didn't try that. I just selected France and no email window appeared. Using IE, there was no problem with the email address, but I noticed the world map never reappeared and the whole thing was slower.
If you select one of the predefined countries, you don't need to enter an email address. There should be link for "Download map now!", so you can download it straight away.
This should probably be explained a bit better on that web page. Also, some of the predefined countries seem to have tiles missing from them, so probably better to select the tiles manually anyway.

Wothill

« Reply #722 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:08:23 am »
If you select one of the predefined countries, you don't need to enter an email address. There should be link for "Download map now!", so you can download it straight away.
This should probably be explained a bit better on that web page. Also, some of the predefined countries seem to have tiles missing from them, so probably better to select the tiles manually anyway.
Yes, you are right, there was. I just didn't persist for long enough. Plus the instruction said to enter your email address. The tiles do seem to have a gap or two having selected France. I'll have to look closely to see if this is an area I am likely to get to.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #723 on: 07 July, 2010, 02:40:47 pm »
I'm going to have a crack at including some marine items in the Munkymap soon.  Of note:

Navaids using the seamark tag (buoys and the like, to UK/Euro standard).
Whitewater items from the openwhitewatermap.
Some other wet items like weirs and slipways.

...I know I need to sort a better coastline. 

Now, what on Earth is a violet navaid used for?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #724 on: 07 July, 2010, 06:00:17 pm »

Now, what on Earth is a violet navaid used for?
??? As far as I am aware it is either red, green, white or yellow!
Chief cat entertainer.