Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193854 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #750 on: 14 September, 2010, 09:20:43 pm »
It would eliminate one variable if, in Mapsource, you set the detail level to 'highest' instead of 'higher'.

I've noticed similar problems in Mapsource, and I don't use the Munky maps but my own build and style file - so I think it's more down to some more basic problem with the line and area attributes but I can't see anything in Potlach.  And it's the same regardless of Mapsource version - I use 6.13.7 for preference but do have 6.16 installed as well - no difference.
I'm thinking of an area just SW of Bayeux where, in Mapsource, some sections of primary road disappear under areas of forest or orchard, while other sections of the same roads sit on top as they should.

Hi FF
Yes I tried ALL the different detail levels in Mapsource....didnt change anything as far as the visibility of that road is concerned.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #751 on: 14 September, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
The handful of times I've bothered to examine the mapping after experiencing odd routing weirdness, it's either been because roads/paths have been incorrectly tagged, or because they don't actually join up properly at junctions (so it refuses to route you down a "dead end").

I should really be a bit more scientific about it and actually fix some of the glitches.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #752 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:26:41 pm »
Yes surely the routing anomalies are just down to OSM being a wiki - different contributors operate at (very) different standards.  Where a contibutor is of the slap-dash persuasion there are liable to be mal-formed junctions and unsuitable choices of road priority, and incorrect 1-ways, etc etc.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #753 on: 15 September, 2010, 06:19:40 pm »
Some are, some aren't - one weird road-avoidance in town turned out to be an invisible zig-zag and my "avoid u-turns" on the device.  It's a facepalm-rich environment.

Re the disappearing roads, I'd recently got fresh line tags and they *were* in a different order, so they nwn paths and the cyclepaths were before all the regular roads.  I've changed that so we'll see with the next run. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #754 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:21:25 am »
I feel like I'm joining a party after all the beer's gone, but have finally GPSd myself.

Is there an idiots guide to getting the OSM map onto my shiny 705?  (I mean a *real* idiots guide, the one on the OSM wiki assumes I know how to install them onto the device in the first place..)

« Reply #755 on: 17 September, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »
Simple guide...(I'm assuming the 705 is like all the other Garmins here)

Buy a blank memory card for the Garmin (assuming it doesnt have already one), and any necessary card reader gubbins you need to plug it direct into your computer.

Create a folder on the card called Garmin.

Follow the link on andygates sig line, download the latest edition of munkymaps (not the tiles one, the other one), unzip it and
transfer the GMAPSUPP.IMG file to the Garmin directory you created on the card.

Put the card back in the Garmin.

« Reply #756 on: 17 September, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
fantastic.  Thanks!!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #757 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:02:43 pm »
Bumchunks, I'm getting more out-of-memory woe.  There will be a slight delay on this week's maps (possibly while I go shopping). :facepalm:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #758 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:36:19 pm »
New Osmosis binary format FTW. :)
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #759 on: 18 September, 2010, 12:09:44 pm »
Sorted. :thumbsup:

« Reply #760 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »
Just got around to downloading that - as you say, sorted, and again heartfelt thanks.
Another question, do I remember that the sea was supposed to be blue?    I can't see the coastline on Mapsource now I've loaded this version.

More roads "missing" in Mapsource
« Reply #761 on: 10 October, 2010, 12:05:55 pm »
Just found some more weirdnesses in Mapsource's display of the Munkymaps:

Here is openstreetmap.org

And here is what mapsource looks like:

And here is the really weird thing....
The road that runs NW-SE to west of Swanmore golf centre, although it doesnt show in Mapsource IS routable
but...
The road that runs round the north  side of the golf centre, again invisble in Mapsource, is NOT routable.

Does anyone else get this effect?  I only ask because it's on the route of the Wylye & Ebble 200 next weekend?

Is it me? or another Munky issue? or do the tags on those roads in OSM need editing?

« Reply #762 on: 26 October, 2010, 03:33:13 pm »

See the OpenStreetMap coverage evolving - OpenGeoData

A short video showing expansion of OSM coverage in Europe.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #763 on: 30 October, 2010, 09:39:50 pm »
There is something immensely gratifying about seeing paths and roads you have been meaning to map for ages appearing on the map. Especially when the pain in your legs wonders if it was worthwhile.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

corshamjim

« Reply #764 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:20:57 pm »
There is something immensely gratifying about seeing paths and roads you have been meaning to map for ages appearing on the map. Especially when the pain in your legs wonders if it was worthwhile.

..d

I was thinking something vaguely along those lines when I came back from a 42 mile round trip to map a few hundred yards of cycle route last weekend.  That's the problem now I've mapped all the 'local' ncn routes - the gaps I'd really like to fill might be quite small but it's quite a ride just to get to them.

David Martin

« Reply #765 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:58:30 pm »
The bits today were part of a 6 hour ride, half of which at least was off road on hill tracks. The nearest unmapped road is now over 90 mins ride away (and 90 mins back).

I have obviously been too busy.

..d

« Reply #766 on: 31 October, 2010, 12:02:10 pm »
On the return from the York Whitby ride yesterday, we went along several roads and bridleways which don't appear to exist on the OpenStreetMap database yet (or aren't on Andygates Munky Maps anyway).  I think I'm going to have to get to grips with adding in GPX tracks.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

« Reply #767 on: 31 October, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »
On the return from the York Whitby ride yesterday, we went along several roads and bridleways which don't appear to exist on the OpenStreetMap database yet (or aren't on Andygates Munky Maps anyway).  I think I'm going to have to get to grips with adding in GPX tracks.

Just do it.. The more people who do this, the better it will be.

Maybe there needs to be a 'bikejournal GPS' category for the numebr of miles mapped while cycling..

..d

« Reply #768 on: 01 November, 2010, 08:49:14 am »

Just do it.. The more people who do this, the better it will be.

..d

+1
It is very satisfying to know that a road or track on the map is your own work. 
Even if you just upload the tracks, others can use them to draw from.

« Reply #769 on: 01 November, 2010, 09:33:19 am »
I haven't even had a chance to download the GPS yet. I may give it a go today at work if I get a chance whilst dealing with our new starter.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

« Reply #770 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:59:09 am »
The ITOworld tool that shows ways by user is quite interesting. Dundee as a 10 mile+ 'green belt' on the NW side that is mostly my contributions.

ITO - Log In

« Reply #771 on: 02 November, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »
The ITOworld tool that shows ways by user is quite interesting.

Ooh that looks good, thanks for the link.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #772 on: 02 November, 2010, 02:07:05 pm »
Hmm.  OT but - how long has Google Maps had an Edit facility?

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #773 on: 02 November, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »
Hmm.  OT but - how long has Google Maps had an Edit facility?

Something similar for several years, I think.  But the T&Cs are laughable.  IIRC, you give them all your data for them to do what they like with and not give it back, except they would like to retain the right to sue you later if any of it was wrong. :facepalm: (this may have changed now, but I doubt the first part has)

Edit: it only exists for some countries, not others - that may be why you hadn't seen it before.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #774 on: 07 November, 2010, 09:19:00 am »
Idiots guide to get OSM onto vista please as my computer dose  not see micro SD as a device???