Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193785 times)

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #775 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:06:10 am »
Right , got OSM on to sd card according computer when I use the mass store dvice.
But dosen,t appear when I go to the map list on GPS --Vista.
Just get base map???

« Reply #776 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:14:42 am »
On the sd card you should have a directory called Garmin.   The gmapsupp.img file should be in that directory.

This setup works on my GPS60CSx. 

recumbentim

« Reply #777 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:25:48 am »
Idiots guide required. how do I find that

« Reply #778 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:36:01 am »
Well, I don't know what your kit is but I'll outline my setup:

I have a windows xp based machine and a Garmin GPS60CSx.   I plug the Garmin into the pc via the mini usb cable.   It shows as a mass storage device once I have scrolled through the screens on the Garmin and selected 

SETUP > INTERFACE > MASS STORAGE DEVICE

The GPS simply appears as a disk drive on my computer now, in my case Removable Disk F.

The sd card is now fully editable in Windows as a standard disk drive.   You can simply create a folder on there called Garmin then drag and drop the gmapsupp.img file into this folder from wherever it currently is.   

I then have to restart my GPS by pressing the on'off switch

HTH.   :)

recumbentim

« Reply #779 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:44:22 am »
Yes the map file is in drive F and on card I think  but cant get it to show on GPS

recumbentim

« Reply #780 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:57:24 am »
Dont panic got it now.
Going cycing now.

« Reply #781 on: 07 November, 2010, 12:10:05 pm »
Superb  :thumbsup:

recumbentim

« Reply #782 on: 08 November, 2010, 07:03:16 pm »
Got andy,s map in last night , superb.
Next stage is to see how it works with trip and waypoint manager.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #783 on: 23 November, 2010, 09:07:46 am »
Does anyone understand what the OSM new license and contributor terms is all about?  I've read some of the accompanying documentation but it leaves me clueless. 
It's been around for a while but there still seems to be no compulsion to do anything about it - but I've seen suggestions that where contributors don't sign up, their contributions will eventually be invalid.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #784 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:08:36 am »
I think a lot more is being made of the licence than really matters.  IMO, that sort of thing is one for the OS/legal mavens and they're welcome to it.  I just clicky yes to any boxes that come up.   ;D

Of course, mapstuff is Serious Business so it does matter to someone.  Just not me.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #785 on: 23 November, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »
Yes well I guess most of us do that - I certainly didn't take any interest in the terms I was signing up to when I created my OSM login.
But somehow, when I'm asked to re-sign because something has changed or is about to change, it makes me a bit more curious.

And (I could be wrong but) the way this is presented, it appears to be a kind of 'vote' - ie OSM will not make the changes they want to make - which (again I could be wrong) appears to be a move away from the open source model - until a critical mass is achieved.  This may well already have happened, but if so, it's not clear.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #786 on: 23 November, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »
On the licence: OpenGeoData » The licence: where we are, where we’re going is something I wrote almost three years ago to explain it all, but it still holds good today.

The vote on whether to start the process of moving to the new licence was held among OSM Foundation members (anyone can join, small fee) and passed with a big majority. What's happening now is that you have the option to sign up to the new licence voluntarily. Once this has gone on for a while, there'll probably be an exercise in which everyone who hasn't signed up is asked (by e-mail) to do so.

After that, if 99% say "yes" and 1% say "no", then the 1% of contributions will be removed from the OSM database going forward and we'll carry on with the new licence. If 1% say "yes" and 99% say "no", then the process will be abandoned. If it's somewhere between the two... well, we'll see. Worth noting that all data up to the point of the changeover will still be downloadable as a 'planet' dump file under the old licence, so actually nothing will be deleted for good.

Personally I think the current licence sucks and can't wait to get the new one underway.

Anyway, never mind all that...

Today it was announced that Bing are giving us permission to trace from their super-detailed aerial imagery for OpenStreetMap.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #787 on: 23 November, 2010, 08:42:04 pm »
Now that is more interesting.  What's it cover?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #788 on: 23 November, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »
We've not seen the agreement yet but I'm presuming it's Bing's standard aerial imagery layer, which appears to be super high-resolution stuff for everywhere in the UK. Enough to trace building outlines, field boundaries, good quality paths, that sort of thing. A few people have expressed disappointment that elsewhere in the world it's not as good as Google's (Brazil, for example) but in the UK it looks awesome - on a quick test in Burton-on-Trent I found it goes up to zoom level 20, which is kind of the equivalent of Spinal Tap going to 11.

Both Potlatch 2 and JOSM got patched to support Bing imagery within an hour of the announcement... we're just waiting for the legalities before going live. :) :)

« Reply #789 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
Hmm. *wonders why MSFT would be this generous*

Ah. http://searchengineland.com/bing-embraces-openstreetmap-hires-founder-56780

I also assume at some point that Microsoft will incorporate data from OSM into Bing maps.

That'll put the cat amongst the open-source pigeons.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #790 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:19:04 pm »
There's already one comment along the lines of "That's the first E, Microsoft..."  ;) 

I see the Bing imagery for today's hot location - Yeongjon - is lovely, plenty sharp enough to lay down roads, while the Bing map layer is nil (OSM for some reason has some schools and banks but nothing else, yay wiki randomness).

Welcome material.  Looking forward to it getting included as a base layer for Potlatch and JOSM in due course. :thumbsup:

Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #791 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:38:39 pm »
A handful of possible reasons, I guess. OSM data has the potential to be much richer than anything offered by Tele Atlas/Navteq - footpaths, cycle stuff, POIs. Like Andy says, it's often present in parts of the world which the existing suppliers don't cover. It's obviously much cheaper, which is good for the big guys in itself, not least because it means they can force down prices from their existing data suppliers. And strategically it doesn't make sense to be over a barrel to only two possible suppliers, especially when one of them (Nokia owns Navteq) is a rival in some areas.

But I suspect a lot of it is simply because OSM is "hot" right now and, you never know, this might be a way to get one over on Google.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #792 on: 23 November, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »
On the licence: OpenGeoData » The licence: where we are, where we’re going is something I wrote almost three years ago to explain it all, but it still holds good today.

Thanks Richard, I was hoping you'd chip in and the article you've linked is very helpful.

The vote on whether to start the process of moving to the new licence was held among OSM Foundation members (anyone can join, small fee) and passed with a big majority.

So I assume that means it is definitely going ahead, or has already gone ahead - that really isn't being made clear at present - instead the impression is that there is still some way to influence the process by 'agreeing' or not.

« Reply #793 on: 02 December, 2010, 02:51:56 pm »
Google adds bike maps to Canadian Cities.

http://www.mcwetboy.net/maproom/2010/12/google_adds_bik.php

« Reply #794 on: 02 December, 2010, 03:30:54 pm »
Google adds bike maps to Canadian Cities.

http://www.mcwetboy.net/maproom/2010/12/google_adds_bik.php

... and the dotted green line indicates roads that do not have bike lanes but tend to be suitable for biking.

Now, in this country, that would inspire a lot of discussion. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #795 on: 02 December, 2010, 03:35:37 pm »
Heh - just like the various bike route planners provoke discussion when they describe a road as "hostile" or assume the rider is highway-phobic?    ;)

I've had a play with the Bing layer in P2 (hover over the OSM "Edit" tab to get choices of editor).  Noice!   :thumbsup:

One suggestion provoked from looking at the Colombia area, which has rough old large-scale imagery: in Yahoo, it gives the "We're sorry," grey tile when you zoom in past the image limit; in Bing it sits and sits and ... there's no feedback as to whether it is waiting, has failed, or has nothing. 

Otherwise, very nice indeed. 

« Reply #796 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:06:38 pm »
just had  a look after reading your post. really like potlatch 2 it's a big improvement on the old one. bing looks good although in my town centre it's several years out of date, still looks good though. hopefully it will help with a few paths and bridleways.

« Reply #797 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »

I've had a play with the Bing layer in P2 (hover over the OSM "Edit" tab to get choices of editor).  Noice!   :thumbsup:

One suggestion provoked from looking at the Colombia area, which has rough old large-scale imagery: in Yahoo, it gives the "We're sorry," grey tile when you zoom in past the image limit; in Bing it sits and sits and ... there's no feedback as to whether it is waiting, has failed, or has nothing. 

Otherwise, very nice indeed. 
Thanks for that Andy, I've just looked at where I am in Norway, and I can see rivers and lakes (of which we have bunches) in Bing where I could not see them in Yahoo. Good for coastlines  and islands too when in Slartybartfast mode. Another leap forward.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #798 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:15:33 pm »
Changing tack for a sec, I finally sussed out why the Etrexes can sometimes go into "recalculating" fugues using OSM. 

For very long routes, it seems to prefer routing over the basemap.  I'm not sure why it does that - it may be too many tiles, or too much detail, to handle in its little brane.  Anyway, the basemap is not very accurate.  It's entirely possible to be on a road that the basemap thinks is half a kilometre away, and that's when it tries to recalculate.  But because you're not on the basemap road, and have moved, it wants another go.  Rinse, repeat.

Any ideas how to turn the routing over basemap off?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #799 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:49:56 pm »
You can turn the basemap off.  
Menu>Menu>Setup>Map>Tab 5>Menu>  Hide Basemap
(where 'Menu' is bottom left button)

Does that do it?  I dunno.