Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193787 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #800 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:56:38 am »
Aha! That might do it, I'll discover on my next long trip.  Top tip! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #801 on: 08 December, 2010, 05:48:04 pm »
Potlach2 is now available on the Openstreetmap site, by hovering over the "Edit" button. Looks good

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #802 on: 08 December, 2010, 09:41:02 pm »
Looks better every time, too.

I'd really like it to remember my preference re: item properties.  I likes it advanced, and clicking across for every element is a lot of clicks I need not do.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #803 on: 08 December, 2010, 11:28:39 pm »
I've started playing about with making my own maps for my Edge 800 based on OSM. I've looked at the available cycle maps and like different parts of different maps and I'd really like to customise my own style and .TYP so I can create the one map to rule them all using Mkgmap.

So, my question is, do any of the OSMers on here know how to reverse engineer a style out of an existing map - there is one map which handles NCN routes in a way I'd like to graft onto another map style. But the map is only available as an .img file and its pretty out of date.

I've tried the openstreetmap wiki but to be honest, its a typical wiki - I'm sure the info is there somewhere but I can't incant the right google-fu to find it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #804 on: 09 December, 2010, 06:40:49 am »
I'd start by asking the person who made it.  It's a pretty friendly community and people swap tips fairly freely.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #805 on: 09 December, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »
Twas I who did the NCN map - I'll see if I can dig out the style file. I keep meaning to get round to compiling a new IMG...

Andy - I'll see what we can do about getting it to remember the simple/advanced pref; but until then you can press 'T' (for 'Tag panel') to switch between them. :)
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #806 on: 09 December, 2010, 09:26:40 pm »
Andy - I'll see what we can do about getting it to remember the simple/advanced pref; but until then you can press 'T' (for 'Tag panel') to switch between them. :)
Yay! Fewer clicks!  :thumbsup:
You can turn the basemap off. 
Menu>Menu>Setup>Map>Tab 5>Menu>  Hide Basemap
(where 'Menu' is bottom left button)

Does that do it?  I dunno.
No, it went mental.   ;D  It probably would have done it if the poor Garmin had the brain to process all those millions of additional ways, and the route didn't involve the Severn bridges which make it all explode into gibs...

I think the best workarounds are (1) leave the basemap on but don't auto-recalculate and (2) don't do really long routes. 

« Reply #807 on: 09 December, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »
Twas I who did the NCN map - I'll see if I can dig out the style file. I keep meaning to get round to compiling a new IMG...

That would be grand - I really like the way you've picked up the NCN routes as relations and applied the NCN route number.

Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #808 on: 10 December, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »
Hokay, try this: http://www.systemeD.net/osm/cyclemap.zip . There's an RTF in there sort of explaining which styles are used for which type of track.

« Reply #809 on: 10 December, 2010, 07:07:08 pm »
Hokay, try this: http://www.systemeD.net/osm/cyclemap.zip . There's an RTF in there sort of explaining which styles are used for which type of track.

Thanks - you are a star! I'll have a play. Any tips on rendering relations are welcome - I think mapcss is a better fit as it can Z-order a cycle-route on top of a road but not sure how to do with with a mkgmap.

SM

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #810 on: 15 December, 2010, 11:57:28 pm »
Another Potlatch 2 query: Copy / Paste objects?  I've got a sewage plant with about 16 identical ponds...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #811 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:13:55 am »
Press R to repeat tags from the previously selected node or way, which is like copying/pasting the tags.

Unless you want to copy and paste the size/shapes of the objects? AFAIK that's not possible in Potlatch 2. Though its easy to do in JOSM.

Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #812 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:19:49 am »
I was thinking the other day I ought to add a "duplicate object" feature to Potlatch 2. Ok, the reason might have been that I was thinking of mapping the Westons Cider plant from Bing imagery and wanted to get those nice round BIG TANKS OF CIDER just right. ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #813 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:18:11 am »
Richf - Your cider is clearly a more solid argument than my sewage, though both are related.  :)

Fuaran - yes, I want to copy size, shape and tags, the full monty.  Industrial sites are full of this stuff.  It's the kind of detail that only comes up with high-res imagery, but it's be a shame not to do it, and it's too much of a faff otherwise.  I've been using JOSM until now.

Hm, must get Bing into my JOSM, too...

« Reply #814 on: 18 December, 2010, 05:32:41 pm »
On the licence: OpenGeoData » The licence: where we are, where we’re going is something I wrote almost three years ago to explain it all, but it still holds good today.

The vote on whether to start the process of moving to the new licence was held among OSM Foundation members (anyone can join, small fee) and passed with a big majority. What's happening now is that you have the option to sign up to the new licence voluntarily. Once this has gone on for a while, there'll probably be an exercise in which everyone who hasn't signed up is asked (by e-mail) to do so.

Some French chap just sent me an email about this (in French, with links to a French website).
Is there going to be a similar exercise in England?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #815 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »
It was 'some French chap' who alerted me to this as well, about a month ago.
He mentioned (no idea if it's true or not) that some users are already deleting/replacing existing ways on the grounds that the contributor is not signed-up.  Which wouldn't bother me as long as the replacement information is as good as what has been removed.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #816 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:11:31 pm »
When you talk of "contributors" is that anybody who's updated the map or do you mean techy programmer types?

I've not been asked to sign up to anything new but my limit is updating maps. 

« Reply #817 on: 18 December, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »
I have signed up, as far as I can see it's about making your data public, which is what OSM is all about.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #818 on: 19 December, 2010, 04:10:44 pm »
I mean anybody who has a OSM login.
Apparently it's possible to view the map in a style that shows which ways have been added by contributers who haven't signed up to the new terms, and so the suggestion is (I repeat I don't know if this is actually the case) that people who have signed up are taking the moral high ground and deleting material by people who haven't.

If I understand Richard, this is something that will eventually happen anyway - but the suggestion is that some people are pre-empting the process.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #819 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »
Unless the new licence was in place when I registered in Jan 2010 (in which case I'd already be signed up to it) it seems strange that I've not been alerted to the new licence nor asked to accept it and neither can I find where I can accept it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #820 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:34:48 pm »
You can go to this page to accept the new licence: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/terms
I think all new users since about May 2010 are signed up to it already.

Its true that users who signed up previously have not all been asked yet, that will probably happen sometime soon. Though there is a notice at the top of the login page on openstreetmap.org, which links to this page, so that should alert a lot of users: License/We Are Changing The License - OSMF

corshamjim

« Reply #821 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:49:51 pm »
I wouldn't go so far as to delete non-new-osm-licence content, but if I find a road which is attributed to os_opendata but for which I have my own gps track and observations, I will happily re-draw it in OSM and remove the os_opendata attribution.

« Reply #822 on: 19 December, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
I'm a bit confused.  When I was reading the discussion a while ago, and looking at the new contributor terms now, they look a bit like they rule out OS opendata.  But when I searched the wiki for anything about this, there is nothing.  No discussion for or against, nothing.  Has there been a witchhunt, or am I imagining things?

Is opendata in, or out?  Or was the considered legal opinion to go ahead and it'll probably be alright??

« Reply #823 on: 19 December, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »
Thanks fuaran - I'd not seen the notice at the login page because of the "remember me" cookie.

I'd suggest that contributors need to proactively be given the option before their contributions are removed - I'd guess most are blissfully unaware.

Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #824 on: 19 December, 2010, 09:05:49 pm »
OS OpenData is indeed compatible with the new OSM licence and contributor terms (as of revision 1.2 which clarified stuff). I need to get round to writing a blog post about it one of these days...