Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 193737 times)

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #825 on: 19 December, 2010, 09:30:09 pm »
Thanks Richard.  I'll trust you've looked into it all then, coz frankly I don't want to.  ;D

« Reply #826 on: 20 December, 2010, 02:06:41 am »
Thanks fuaran - I'd not seen the notice at the login page because of the "remember me" cookie.

I'd suggest that contributors need to proactively be given the option before their contributions are removed - I'd guess most are blissfully unaware.

I hadn't noticed it either, so only got the option to do the licence thingy when I followed fuaran's link just now.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #827 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:46:02 am »
The idea is that everyone will be mailed in the next few months, I think. Some individual contributors abroad (particularly in Italy) have taken it on themselves to do an 'evangelism' effort, but that's unofficial and completely additional to the main sign-up drive, which is yet to come.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

« Reply #828 on: 22 December, 2010, 07:24:24 am »
Is there any auditing option in OSM that a contributor can use to monitor their updates for amendments by others?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #829 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:44:58 am »
Is there any auditing option in OSM that a contributor can use to monitor their updates for amendments by others?
You can look at a way's history.  That shows who made changes on what dates.  The easiest way to do a quick check is to view the main map, hit the (+) and select the Data layer, select the item and click View History.

I'm not aware of an auto-notifier. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

corshamjim

« Reply #830 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:08:20 am »
The only similar thing I'm aware of is:
OSM Mapper

This can give you alerts if changes are made to OSM in a given geographical area.  I haven't tried it myself.  It's probably worth doing though.  I recently had to unpick a botch where someone accidentally renamed a relation for a cycle route in Wiltshire and started  extending it over northern France.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #831 on: 22 December, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »
Heh - yesterday I spotted that NCN 1 in Essex had got intermingled with NCN 1 in Germany...

OWL is also very useful and is likely to become an OSM core service in the future. You can take an RSS feed from it, which pretty much does the 'auto-notify' bit for you.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

corshamjim

« Reply #832 on: 22 December, 2010, 01:15:59 pm »
Thanks Richard - the rss feed from OWL is really neat!  :)  It's fun to see who is active locally too.

« Reply #833 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:58:29 am »
If you download the file: OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE-Tiles.zip it includes the tdb file as well as the map tiles etc. So you can use it with MapSource, Training Center etc.

Or an easier option is to download a map from the worldwide routable page linked a couple of posts back. It includes an installer for MapSource (I assume it works for Training Center as well?).
Please could you explain to a complete non technophile(in simple steps) how to load Andy's OSM Garmin Munky UKie Tiles.zip files into MapSource?I have got a Garmin 705 with SD card but would like to produce routes in Map Source with OSM instead of the basic map I've got in MapSource at present(I dont have any actual Garmin MapSource maps on DVD).If I can get OSM into MapSource please could someone explain how I can switch between Garmin NT City Europe on SD card and OSM using the Garmin 705?Do I have to load OSM on a seperate SD card,how do I set up Garmin map directory in Garmin?Any help much appreciated.

« Reply #834 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:07:10 pm »
Please could you explain to a complete non technophile(in simple steps) how to load Andy's OSM Garmin Munky UKie Tiles.zip files into MapSource?I have got a Garmin 705 with SD card but would like to produce routes in Map Source with OSM instead of the basic map I've got in MapSource at present(I dont have any actual Garmin MapSource maps on DVD).Any help much appreciated.

+1. Just got my Vista Hcx and want to do the same. The instructions up-thread here http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12998.msg555006#msg555006 didn't work for me. No errors, just didn't seem to do anything to MapSource at all.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #835 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:24:36 pm »

+1. Just got my Vista Hcx and want to do the same. The instructions up-thread here http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12998.msg555006#msg555006 didn't work for me. No errors, just didn't seem to do anything to MapSource at all.
[/quote]
Glad I'm not the only person in the world that can't get OSM into MapSource without getting a trained programmer to do the job for me!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #836 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:36:50 pm »
Have a go with the info in this thread:

Newbie daft question...
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #837 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:50:01 pm »
Once you have your maps in Mapsource, you can combine them into a single file on your memory card.  Then on your Edge you select which map(s) to be displayed.  Have contours as well - to overlay any other map.

GMapTool can split up a memory card version of City Navigator to then use with MapSetToolkit to get it into MapSource.  It's rather a complicated process, but you'll get there in the end if you're a bit techno savvy.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #838 on: 23 December, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »
You could get the OSM map as a Mapsource installer from here, OSM Routable Maps which is very easy - and still use Andy's map in the GPS - the Mapsource version may not look so pretty but the roads will be in the same place ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #839 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
You could get the OSM map as a Mapsource installer from here, OSM Routable Maps which is very easy - and still use Andy's map in the GPS - the Mapsource version may not look so pretty but the roads will be in the same place ...

Thanks Frankly Frankie (try saying that rapidly after a few beers), I'm trying this now, the server is a-crunching, I am 5th in the queue......
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #840 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »
I really should make a mapsource installer, shouldn't I?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #841 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »

Yep. I volunteer to test it  ;D

« Reply #842 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:57:22 pm »

Thanks Frankly Frankie (try saying that rapidly after a few beers), I'm trying this now, the server is a-crunching, I am 5th in the queue......

Got, installed it, works. Pretty simple in the end!

« Reply #843 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »
Found my first missing road  :P

« Reply #844 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »
I selected a custom set of tiles from Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap,sent my email address and received a number of folders including a MapSource installer.I ran that and have now got the OSM map in MapSource.
[/quote]

« Reply #845 on: 23 December, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
Please could you explain to a complete non technophile(in simple steps) how to load Andy's OSM Garmin Munky UKie Tiles.zip files into MapSource?I have got a Garmin 705 with SD card but would like to produce routes in Map Source with OSM instead of the basic map I've got in MapSource at present(I dont have any actual Garmin MapSource maps on DVD).Any help much appreciated.

And I have also figured out why nothing happens. I am on Windows 7 (Vista will be the same), running as a local admin. However by default even as admin you have reduced rights. This program attempts to write to the registry, and it silently fails due to insufficient permissions. The solution is simple: right click the icon or exe and select "Run as Administrator". I now have the Munky maps installed in MapSource as well.

« Reply #846 on: 26 December, 2010, 10:52:28 am »
Andy,I'm trying to add Munky maps to OSM World Routable map I downloadedto Mapsource with an installer.I can unzip your gmapsupp.img files but puzzled that 4 img files all seem to have identical munky.typ file.Please could you explain?MapSetToolKit says I should create combined folder with OSM and Munky folders and also combined typ file with OSM and Munky information.How do I do that when don't know anything about OSM typ files?Finally where do TDB folders enter the picture?Any help much appreciated!

« Reply #847 on: 30 December, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »
I seem to have hit a snag.   The 'find' for navigation on my GPS60CSX can no longer find lots of places such as for instance, Haverhill.   This is most confusing.    ???   

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #848 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:41:43 am »
So I've never had to get dirty with OSM maps for garmin before, as my 705 came with all Europe maps (and when we went to S America last year OSM lacked much of the area we were going to).
Finally got around to installing N America maps though, now I need them. Couldn't have been easier: opened http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/latest/ selected the -168 to -85 2GB torrent file, poped it on a blank SD card and went for a ride. Fantastic maps, look better than the garmin ones. I'm really impressed. I'd psyched myself up for more of a battle than that.

« Reply #849 on: 14 August, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
So I've never had to get dirty with OSM maps for garmin before, as my 705 came with all Europe maps (and when we went to S America last year OSM lacked much of the area we were going to).
Finally got around to installing N America maps though, now I need them. Couldn't have been easier: opened http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/latest/ selected the -168 to -85 2GB torrent file, poped it on a blank SD card and went for a ride. Fantastic maps, look better than the garmin ones. I'm really impressed. I'd psyched myself up for more of a battle than that.

Thanks for that link Joff.  I'm off to Arizona & Utah for 4 weeks in October so it will come in handy.  I've also got a hooky copy of the Garmin maps so will have to decide which to use.

Topo maps available here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/523/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark