22 (32.4%)
Ok for the basics, some bargains
39 (57.4%)
Tat for the masses - overpriced
1 (1.5%)
Support your LBS instead
6 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Decathlon  (Read 13658 times)

Re: Decathlon
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »
Their current stock of 100% merino short and long-sleeved zipped base layers are great and around half the price you'd pay elsewhere.  Not cycling-specific but that's irrelevant for base layers.
Disagree - a decent length back is really useful.

Luckily my only Decathlon one - about 3 years old now - is fine  :thumbsup: ["Quencha" branded IIRC ? ] Bring on the Oxford branch!

That's the ones I'm talking about.  Not short at the back and quite long enough for cycling purposes. 

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 06:46:18 am »
+1 for the Quecha long sleeve base layer.

I got 2 for £11.99 on sale a couple of months back.  They seem as good as any others I have had previously and plenty long in the back for cycling.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 07:37:56 am »
My Ti frame has a bit of Decathlon in its history.  Around 12 years ago they had a line of Ti bikes and the mechanic at my LBS bought one.  After a while it developed a crack so he took it back. The line was discontinued by then, so they offered him a Lapierre Ti frame instead.  He accepted the swap but never got around to building a bike on it, and eventually he sold it to me for 750 €.  I've been riding it ever since. Beautiful bike.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 08:39:44 am »
Their current stock of 100% merino short and long-sleeved zipped base layers are great and around half the price you'd pay elsewhere.  Not cycling-specific but that's irrelevant for base layers.
Disagree - a decent length back is really useful

In principle, of course, but it can depend what else you're wearing it with - a long back can be too long with bibs.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 08:01:34 pm »
A baselayer with a long back can be really useful off the bike, too, as it prevents you getting a neat little row of beastie-bites along your lower back.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 12:20:21 pm »
Just had a flyer to say that one's opening up in Oxford soon!

Just had that today.  Seacourt Tower, 1 May.    :)
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 10:22:21 am »
I could basically buy all my clothes from Decathlon and go nowhere else. I have an unhealthy obsession with them!
They have started to roll out mini high street stores in France - I found one in Bordeaux a few weeks ago.

Their base layers are really good. I have about 10 of them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2014, 03:35:15 pm »
I have a Long Sleeve merino base.  It's superb value, the finest weave of any of my Merino jerseys, it's like cotton.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 02:28:24 pm »
Bought a pair of Decathlon's top-end winter bib tights on Saturday from the Surrey Quays branch.
Decided that they were good enough to warrant investing in a second pair.
Ordered online yesterday morning. Delivered to my workplace by Royal Mail today. :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 01:23:09 pm »
Decathlon website has broken under the weight of Black Friday traffic... 
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »
Decathlon website has broken under the weight of Black Friday traffic...
I wonder what it's like in their store.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 09:34:37 am »
Not impressed by their delivery service. I wanted an item which was not in stock at any of my local retailers so I ordered it from Decathlon as they promised delivery by the 31st to my local Asda. Come the 2nd of the month, the item had not even left their warehouse so wasn't with me until this morning.

They were not great on price neither. I just went for speed and didn't even get htat.
Cats to the left of me, cats to the right of me, cats sitting on my keyboard making far more sense than I do.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »
I've had shocking delivery from Decathlon too. From memory it was well over a week late.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 04:20:39 pm »
My stuff arrived next day (this was ordered last week).

#anecdata
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2019, 11:27:36 pm »
I think the last time I ordered something from Decathlon they estimated it would take nearly two weeks to arrive.  And it did.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:29 pm »
I think the last time I ordered something from Decathlon they estimated it would take nearly two weeks to arrive.  And it did.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:56 pm »

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2019, 11:37:25 pm »
Ah, but did they send it three times? ;)
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2019, 07:32:05 pm »
 ;D
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 07:32:21 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2019, 07:32:37 pm »
 ;D

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2019, 10:05:55 pm »
Sodding Tapatalk.

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2020, 11:49:49 am »
Decathlon have a pretty poor attitude to wildlife.  Current petition / boycott regarding sale of hunting products targeted specifically at UK red list endangered birds:

https://www.change.org/p/decathlon-decathlon-must-stop-promoting-slaughter-of-songbirds

Please sign, and also boycott obviously until they get their act together.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2020, 12:05:14 pm »
Although they've since said that they never sold these in the UK, they were 'copied over' from the France website (where that is legal).
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2020, 12:39:02 pm »
Although they've since said that they never sold these in the UK, they were 'copied over' from the France website (where that is legal).

They've also said [source, decathlonuk on twitter] "We want to apologise, as there have been issues both with the translation of some product information and also products we don't sell in the UK (cartridges for example) appearing on the website, even if they were not available for purchase", and "We want to assure you that we are not encouraging any activities of this sort. We have removed all products that fall into this category or have any translation issues"
However, the product is still listed online as at 12:30 pm 16/7/20.
Saying "We are not encouraging any activities of this sort" when you market a product developed specifically for that purpose is a corporate sustainability communication fail of the highest order, even if they don't encourage such activities in a specific geographic region.   Taking one example, the mistle thrush is on the IUCN European red list and is declining across western Europe, so just because they promise not to market thrush killing cartridges in the UK doesn't change their corporate attitude to internationally threatened species.
Fundamentally then, Decathlon are bad eggs