0 (0%)
Ok, you get what you pay for
2 (100%)
A false economy
0 (0%)
Rubbish, a waste of hard-earned cash
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: SJS panniers on eBay  (Read 1632 times)

vince

SJS panniers on eBay
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:19:21 am »
[2005] - But I've checked and they are still selling them, possibly with slight modifications and the same postage!

I bought these from St John Street Cycles on eBay for £12.99 + £7.25 postage (which was excessive in my opinion).

I would not have bought them at that price but for the reputation of SJS as a quality retailer. Things did not bode well when I was sent two left sided panniers. I contacted SJS and they quickly sent out a new set and told me to keep the original ones, which was fine on the customer service front.

The retaining elastics are nothing like as strong as the website suggests and not to be trusted. I did not get chance to test them properly in any event as the elastic wrapped itself around my rear mech and snapped not far out of St Pancras station. If you do not have a rack with hooks at the bottom of the stays there is nothing to attach it securely to.

The second problem was that the 'Durable Steel Rack Hooks' came unscrewed about three quarters of the way through the DunRun and the screw has not been seen since. At least I have two left sided panniers I can cannabalise for spare parts.

All in all, for £20, I would suggest that you save up a little more and get some Altura ones instead.

Update:

Well, I didn't save up for the Altura ones - I waited until my little brother was in Africa and stole his instead. The plastic coated metal hooks didn't seem to do much good to my luggage rack and the elastics were fiddly. As a result I don't use these panniers much at all and find that I use the Altura ones most of the time instead. I'll stick with the 'get what you pay for' vote as I probably would still be using them if I hadn't been able to 'acquire' an alternative set without parting with cash.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: SJS panniers on eBay
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
I have bought multiple sets of these and they are Ok so long as you don't expect too much from them. Quality is a bit variable but if you get one where the stitching is OK then they are a good basic pannier.

Also hold out for a good price. I have managed to get a set for as low as £4 +£7.50 P&P. Not very waterproof but good enough to resist a heavy shower.

Perfectly good for doing the grocery shopping and maybe occasional commuting/touring.  I still prefer my Ortliebs but with a £50+ price difference you can't complain.
Owner of a languishing Langster