Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 514130 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5625 on: June 21, 2019, 08:44:02 pm »
A new pair of "Audax" tyres for my Audax bike to replace the less than 1,600km Durano Plus with perished / cracked sidewalls and less than 1200 Michelin Pro 4 Endurance with tread peeling off.

Went for the cheap and cheerful option, Bontrager AW1 Hardcase with ye olde worlde wire bead. Ok, so it won't be as plush as high end tyres, but I've had a gutfull of buying expensive "posh" tyres which just don't last...

Certainly heavier (400g) than the pro 4 Endurance, but only 15g heavier than the Durano Double Defense I was also considering. However I've lost faith in Schwalbe since they seem to suffer from premature aging and perishing of the side wall..

So let's see how long these Bontragers last...

--edit -- The Bonty AW1 Hardcases weigh up at 366g and 371g each on the kitchen scales! You can tell I live alone...

If they are like the Bontrager Hardcase Light's that came with my Trek singlespeed, then they will be pretty much bullet proof, but the ride will feel a bit dead. I ran the rear tyre of that set down to the threads without puncturing. The front one is still going.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5626 on: June 22, 2019, 04:14:31 pm »
A new pair of "Audax" tyres for my Audax bike to replace the less than 1,600km Durano Plus with perished / cracked sidewalls and less than 1200 Michelin Pro 4 Endurance with tread peeling off.

Went for the cheap and cheerful option, Bontrager AW1 Hardcase with ye olde worlde wire bead. Ok, so it won't be as plush as high end tyres, but I've had a gutfull of buying expensive "posh" tyres which just don't last...

Certainly heavier (400g) than the pro 4 Endurance, but only 15g heavier than the Durano Double Defense I was also considering. However I've lost faith in Schwalbe since they seem to suffer from premature aging and perishing of the side wall..

So let's see how long these Bontragers last...

--edit -- The Bonty AW1 Hardcases weigh up at 366g and 371g each on the kitchen scales! You can tell I live alone...

If they are like the Bontrager Hardcase Light's that came with my Trek singlespeed, then they will be pretty much bullet proof, but the ride will feel a bit dead. I ran the rear tyre of that set down to the threads without puncturing. The front one is still going.

Can't be as wooden feeling as my current Durano Plus though

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5627 on: June 29, 2019, 02:05:41 pm »
First ride on them today. Not quite as "plush" as the old Michelin 25mm Pro 4 Endurance (which measured up at 25.6mm on my Ambrosio Evolution Rims). Not as harsh though as the 25mm Durano Plus. 

The Bonty AW1 hardcase measure up at 24.5mm on my 14mm internal rims.

Pleased with the tyres so far.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5628 on: June 29, 2019, 02:49:03 pm »
a rear wheel for the M5 ( I just do not have any time to build one myself right now)
Spare tyre to take on tour with me
Spare pads for the BB7s, again for tour.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5629 on: July 06, 2019, 12:21:56 pm »
I've just stocked up on Panaracer Pasela 25s, 2 at £17 each and 4 at £19 each.

« Reply #5630 on: July 06, 2019, 05:39:19 pm »
From where?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5631 on: July 06, 2019, 06:21:09 pm »
Bought two aldi cycle computers for £2.49 each and some aldi cycling gloves.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5632 on: July 06, 2019, 06:29:57 pm »
Last week I bought a messenger bag like this:

From a charity shop...

« Reply #5633 on: July 06, 2019, 07:13:31 pm »
A frameset, 29x25mm rims, BB, BB wrench, seatpost, headset, set of hub adaptors for thru axle. Now mostly assembled, rims to be done on Wednesday.

« Reply #5634 on: July 07, 2019, 08:57:04 am »
From where?

Amazon (price gone back up now and not cheap) and Chain Reaction (no stock now)
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/panaracer-pasela-pt-road-tyre/rp-prod53957
I bought up what was available at those prices but then I have been checking prices for a long time. Chain Reaction might restock at the same price but usually they're £22.50 which is what I paid for the pair on my bike now.