Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877795 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #925 on: 18 April, 2011, 12:27:50 pm »
I've just bought one of these:

Sam Cycling

...after seeing a chap wearing one on yesterday's Spring Into the Dales.  I've been wanting another cap ferrages, but I didn't see any that weren't hideously wrong or ridiculously overpriced until this one. 

I've never heard of the shop before, and I'm not convinced I would have used them if I could have bought it anywhere else.  There's no "about" section on the site, and God knows why they needed a DOB from me :-/

« Reply #926 on: 18 April, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »
The DOB is because they are using osCommerce as their shop platform. The default there is to ask for DOB (and gender), it takes some effort and knowledge of PHP to stop it asking for them - so many shops don't bother.

« Reply #927 on: 18 April, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »
Makes sense - Thanks, Matt.

« Reply #928 on: 19 April, 2011, 08:20:42 am »
Unemployment means I have to economise. Does it bollocks:

* A Pompino frameset off Gene Hunt
* 2 Schwalbe Delta Cruiser 700x28 gumwall tyres &  inner tubes
* A Satori stem riser
* An amoeba stem
* A tan Vavert saddle
* Faux tan leather bar tape
* 2 faux tan leather arm patches to fettle into mudflaps

I'm currently trying to buy a front & rear wheel off separate forumites & then the fun can begin. It has to be completed before SWMBO returns from Hungary.

The look I'm aiming for is a tan and British racing green combo.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #929 on: 19 April, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »
AWL  :thumbsup:

Onto my purchase today, a set of small Ergon grips for gripshirt to complete Mrs T's bike

Other things have got in the way of me fitting them tho :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #930 on: 19 April, 2011, 06:04:47 pm »
An islabike for mini bloomers direct from the shop. He better bloody ride it. I might let him
come on memwns or is 9 too young?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #931 on: 19 April, 2011, 06:16:27 pm »
I fitted a new chain to my bike and then found it was slipping slightly which wasn't surprising, as it's the third chain using that cassette, so I popped down to my LBS to get a chain whip and to see what cassettes they had. 

The very helpful chap asked if I wanted a Dura-Ace 7900 10 speed cassette that they'd got lying around which no-one had bought.  This is the one with 4 titanium sprockets, and retails for £160.  I got it for £60!!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #932 on: 19 April, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »
I fitted a new chain to my bike and then found it was slipping slightly which wasn't surprising, as it's the third chain using that cassette, so I popped down to my LBS to get a chain whip and to see what cassettes they had. 

The very helpful chap asked if I wanted a Dura-Ace 7900 10 speed cassette that they'd got lying around which no-one had bought.  This is the one with 4 titanium sprockets, and retails for £160.  I got it for £60!!

Now that is a bit of a result
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #933 on: 20 April, 2011, 09:43:30 am »
Prompted by that thread about what stuff people carry, and the need to do some maintenance

8 Shimano Anti Fray End for Inner Cable
1 Shimano TLFC21 Chainwheel Peg Spanner
1 SRAM PowerLink Gold for 9 Speed Chains
1 Shimano Pear Nipple Brake Inner Cable Wire
1 Fiber Fix Emergency Replacement Spoke
1 Shimano Cantilever Link Wire D Type 95 mm Extension - Each
1 Shimano SIS 1.2 mm Gear Inner Cable Wire
5 Cable Tie Black 200 mm Long - Reusable
1 Shimano Deore 104 mm PCD 4 Arm Outer Chainring Alloy 48T

Out of interest, how hooked do people let their chainrings get? My outer ring has done 6000km, but with a very anal cleaning and chain replacement schedule. It looks a little bit worn on some, but not all of the teeth. It's a Deore Hollowtech II 48T outer. I've gone for another. Although I could have saved money going for an unramped jobbie, I have bad memories of an unramped and silly coloured Milddleburn outer I bought in the early 90's. Every shift felt like I had been the victim of luddite direct action.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #934 on: 20 April, 2011, 11:02:17 pm »
Two 20x1.5 Marathon Racers, for both wheels on the Grasshopper.  4 tubes.

A Micro-SD card containing all UK roads for my Garmin Etrex.  Saves all that tedious faffing about in hyperspace downloading maps from the PC.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #935 on: 21 April, 2011, 11:07:50 pm »
1 carradice super C saddle bag (my camper longflap has vanished and had a hole in it anyway :( ). Sadly Brixton cycles didn't have a longflap, but I think the super c will do.

One pair of 2011 sonoma shoes - the 2010 ones were too pale. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

corshamjim

« Reply #936 on: 21 April, 2011, 11:26:59 pm »
I cycled to the post-office this morning and took delivery of a Hebie seat-post bracket for my trailer tow-hitch.  It's only a fairly small part, but Rose bikes bless 'em sent with it a holiday catalogue, two bags of sweets and a bowl (Rose .. Bowl .. RoseBowl geddit?) as a pressie to celebrate my first order from them.  Don't get me wrong I appreciate the gesture, but as a result the box they came in was HUGE.  I nearly needed a trailer to take it home from the post-office!  :facepalm:

Anyway, it's fitted now and does the job great.  :thumbsup:  I'm ready now for my next trip to the post-office.

« Reply #937 on: 25 April, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »
Since I was already looking on Ribble Cycle's web-site (see here;- Women specific bike geometry. Is it BS ?) I decided to order another pair of Lusso Pro gel shorts (my 3rd pair) and I also ordered a Lusso blue/black SS shirt for Helen (this one;- Lusso Clothing - Technical bike wear hand-made in the UK).

Then, because I was directed to the One-On site by a friend who is thinking about an 11-speed Alfine Pompetamine, I came across this;- Smart Lunar 35 Lux Front Light / Black £15.99 . So I ordered it.

I've also bid on a (probably) fake Garmin-Cervelo LS top on Ebay from a Chinese supplier. It's in the same colours as the Lusso shirt.

I love the Team Sky colours but I won't wear anything with their name or logo on it.
I've got a Garmin so the new top is (tenuously) appropriate  ;) .

« Reply #938 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »
I bought some of  these for when I strip off in the heat. 51p each for jersey securage.
Excellent.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #939 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »
We've just been to the LBS where bungees were purchased. We also bought a pair of tubes suitable for 37-622 tyres (Schraeder) and a pair of Altura 56 litre panniers for Mrs. Wow's solo machine.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #940 on: 26 April, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »
Put the order for my birthday n+1 in. May be a couple of weeks before I get it though.

« Reply #941 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
A £2-99 rimtape.

Last of the big spender, that's me. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #942 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »
A Cateye BM 300G Race Mirror from Wiggle £6  ;D

« Reply #943 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
A pair of light brown bamboo lock on bar grips for the Pompino. An indulgence at £23, but I've kept the build price down, so this one little luxury's worth splashing out on.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #944 on: 27 April, 2011, 02:08:26 pm »
Set out for some hard core bike shop frittering on Good Friday, and as well as new sunnies (too posh to name), t shirt, jersey for daughter, saddle for son (insisted he needs it, and it was only a fiver), I bought some MKS folding pedals.  They're very solid, quite heavy and deeply cool-looking.  These will be attached to the Brompton as part of the pimping project, or possibly attached to son's/wife's/my MTB to steamline shed space.  Thinking about it, I could buy an equivalent non-folding set and mix the two sets to create a wider space down the middle of the shed, which would be progress in anyone's book.

(If you want to follow me down the path of folding pedal enlightenment, Action Bikes In Wimbledon had two sets.  I bought one, so there should be the other one left for you - I don't think they're a fast moving line given the state of the packaging.  He's got them marked up as Was £35, Now £XX.  I got mine for £20 after a bit of haggling.)

« Reply #945 on: 27 April, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »
My new 'walkydog' pole for my Claud Butler bike arrived today.
WalkyDog®: General Mounting Instructions

The cheaper one I've been using for the last few months wasn't really upto the torque strength of a Border Collie who thinks she is a sledge dog and a mad Cockapoo also attached to the end of the same pole. This one has a more robust looking seatpost clamp so I am hoping I can tighten it enough to prevent rotation and wiggling loose. Some minor fettling using elasticated leads will be needed to adapt it for 2 dogs not 1. Fortunately my Cockapoo, Google was trained to run on the left of my bike on a normal lead looped on the bars before I got a 2nd dog, so I can give him a longer lead without fear of him running into the bike. Squidge, my collie is on a mission to get everywhere first and at speed, so she tends to give me an awesome tow up the hilly bit on the way to Cheddar reservoir where we mostly go  ;D

I am just going to have some lunch, fit it and take off for a few miles with the dogs to test it  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #946 on: 27 April, 2011, 03:25:36 pm »
Set of mudguards, pair of cleats and a book.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #947 on: 27 April, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »
A pair of shiny new Specialized BG Gel mitts arrived in the post today........ :thumbsup:

But they are the wrong size.......and it's my fault....... :facepalm:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #948 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:25:40 pm »
A Carradice Bagman, to prevent my not-quite-racing-snake-grade thighs interfering with the Barley on the geared audax bike.  Works a treat.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #949 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:51:30 am »
Ordered a Cyo.  I've tried using an E6 on my tourer, but I keep blowing lamps on (not terribly fast) descents, and it doesn't have a Standlicht.  Both a regulator and Standlicht circuit could probably be fettled by Kim in an instant, but I'm not Kim, and so I shall just quietly upgrade.

Hmm, that Nexus dynamo could do with replacing, too... ;)
Getting there...